• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Church Dispersal

116 posts in this topic

STAR COMICS 3 Chesler NM Church Aug-89

This book stood out to me from jb's list at it would be the earliest Church copy to grade NM I've heard of. As far as I can tell, the publication date would have been May 1937. The earliest CGC 9.4-9.6 copies in the CGC census start to appear in the fall of 1937.

18.000 is the generally understood estimate.

Chuck's own accounts are 18,000. This is the figure that is also in the Gerber book.

The floor had about 10K, and then the closet itself contained about 8K.

Well......if this is the case, I am actually suprised that Chuckles didn't go back and ask for a $200 refund from the Church family. lol

After all, 18,000 books times the $0.10 cover price should have only come to $1,800 as opposed to the apparent $2,000 which poor Chuck had to paid for the entire collection. hm

I think would all have fought fiercely to be the lugging them all out.

In actual fact, Chuck ended up with the books as all of the other dealers in the Denver area refused the family's request to even come out to the house to take a look at the books. doh!

The account that Chuck has always given and makes the most sense to me is that they agreed on a price per box. Whatever the specific amount, which was very little, it's unlikely, to the point of impossible, that it was sold on a per book figure. No one would spend the time to count and verify that many books individually, especially sellers that want whatever can be removed gone that same day (he was able to take away what was on the floor and then just bit of the closet. He had to wait a week to get back and obtain the rest. The $.10/per book is just rounded.

There was just one other dealer who passed on reviewing the collection.

It's such a secret society here sometimes. Unless you're in the clique, you don't know who has what. So I'll join Mr. Berk and list what I have too. They are mostly cast-offs from others since the best of the MHs are locked up, but they are fun to have, nonetheless.

Captain Midnight #13 9.6

Captain Midnight #15 9.6

Captain Midnight #17 9.6

Captain Midnight #18 9.4

Captain Midnight #21 9.4

Captain Midnight #33 9.8

Captain Midnight #53 9.4

Captain Midnight #57 9.6

Captain Midnight #60 9.2

I have

# 1

# 5

# 7

# 10

# 42

# 54

# 55

It's such a secret society here sometimes. Unless you're in the clique, you don't know who has what. So I'll join Mr. Berk and list what I have too. They are mostly cast-offs from others since the best of the MHs are locked up, but they are fun to have, nonetheless.

Captain Midnight #13 9.6

Captain Midnight #15 9.6

Captain Midnight #17 9.6

Captain Midnight #18 9.4

Captain Midnight #21 9.4

Captain Midnight #33 9.8

Captain Midnight #53 9.4

Captain Midnight #57 9.6

Captain Midnight #60 9.2

I have

# 1

# 5