• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

digital comics.. why not?

121 posts in this topic

B

I have zero interest in reading new comics in digital format. I would buy things that I couldn't afford new, like ECs or Planet comics, but I like to hold a comic, in my hand smell the ink.

That's understandable, and fine. But sure sounds just like what we all said in 2000 about slabbed comics! Can't stop progress.

You can download GA books for free from the Digital Comic Museum website. Don't go there expecting Marvel, DC, or EC comics for they are still under trademark and are removed once if they are uploaded to the site. Of course that still leaves a lot of other great material to choose from. All you need is a comic book reader (free in the app stores) and you are ready to go.

Here is the DCM website: http://digitalcomicmuseum.com/

Thanks for the link. (thumbs u

Here's another great resource for free downloads, everything public domain or with permissions given: http://www.goldenagecomics.co.uk/index.php

I have been to this site before and tried to download a book from my Kindle but I can't remember my password and there doesn't seem to be a way to reset it. ???

The user name/password is through the messageboard part of their site. Here's the "forgot" reset link: http://goldenagecomics.co.uk/forum/index.php?action=reminder

If its a good story Ill read it in any format.

What are thoughts toward the "Expanded Content" concept? How much of a deciding factor will digital-only exclusives, sketches, creator commentary, or interactivity be when purchasing new releases?

marvelreevolution.jpg

I can't read e-comics. Just can't. I did a monthly subscription when Marvel launched their digital site a few years ago and cancelled after 3 or 4 months. It just isn't the same experience. I'm a hard copy reader.

Some say they like the reflectivity, the colors, the smell of pulp, etc. I have always liked the experience of holding the pages delicately, like you're holding the some ancient Egyptian artifact, hoping you don't do anything to downgrade the book!! Or telling your significant other (harking to the days of old, mom or dad), "NO!, DON'T HOLD IT LIKE THAT!"

I can't read e-comics. Just can't. I did a monthly subscription when Marvel launched their digital site a few years ago and cancelled after 3 or 4 months. It just isn't the same experience. I'm a hard copy reader.

But did you read them on the Kindle Fire or Ipad? hm

There is a huge difference. I bet you read digital comics on a computer or laptop. The same thing happened to me a few years ago,as I was one of the winners of the Iron Man 2 contest. I got free subscriptions to Marvel Digital comics for a year, but they sucked reading them on the laptop because of eyestrain and computer lag. This is not the case with digital comics on the Comixology app on the Ipad and Kindle Fire. In fact everybody I have shown the digital comics to on the Ipad and Kindle Fire have agreed that the digital comics look much better than the print versions. :o

plus an extra perk is people come up to me when I read the digital comics on the Ipad and say that`s cool,while if I read a print comic in public people give me that :eyeroll: look.

:cloud9:

Digital comics stink on the computer. Totally lose the comic book experience. I did it for awhile, but only because I was able to get comics for free.

However, I just bought an iPad and it works REALLY well for comics. You still have that feel of something skinny to read in your hand. Plus, the zoom ability to read panels is easy and effortless.

:news: Throwing in the 'proprietary' towel...

Graphicly Switches From Digital Comics Distribution To Ebooks Distribution

"With more than two hundred million tablets and smart phones in the world, all with native ereaders, we are helping publishers bring their stories to the widest possible audience in a way that no single app could."

graphiclylogo-horblackfinal.jpg

You can download GA books for free from the Digital Comic Museum website. Don't go there expecting Marvel, DC, or EC comics for they are still under trademark and are removed once if they are uploaded to the site. Of course that still leaves a lot of other great material to choose from. All you need is a comic book reader (free in the app stores) and you are ready to go.

Here is the DCM website: http://digitalcomicmuseum.com/

Thanks for the link. (thumbs u

Here's another great resource for free downloads, everything public domain or with permissions given: http://www.goldenagecomics.co.uk/index.php

goldenage.jpg

The amount of material available is staggering. Exploring and discovery is half the fun. :cloud9:

t_Ifan_abombfalls.jpgt_t_Fiction_House.jpgt_t_Fox.jpgph.jpgt_AVON_Slave_Girl.jpgpunch.jpg

Looks like http://goldenagecomics.co.uk/ is now http://comicbookplus.com/

I'm really stunned by this and how it opens up golden age to EVERYONE.

Can someone sample that Reader feature on a 10" tablet, iPad or Android, and say what it looks like? Just wondering if a comic-page fills the tablet format.

Kudos and major thanks to Cimmerian32. (worship) That new Reader brings the quality of your work right to the fore. (thumbs u

I'm stumped how you do it Cimm. Those clean crisp high resolution pages, without loosing any 'look & feel' of the vintage books. Just amazing professional caliber eye-candy.

I highly recommend flipping through any of Cimmerian32's c2c contributions. Experience it for yourselves.

Personally, his efforts bring pure joy and are deeply appreciated. :cloud9:

I used to be completely against digital for most likely the main reason as everyone else, I love having that tangible book in my hands. To look after and enjoy that book and to then add it to my long box. However in the past week iv turned to digital books because my sight has been effected by long term health issues. Reading books on my iPad which I only got this week mean that each frame of the book is enlarged and I can actually see it. I wish this wasn't the case but I'm thankful I have this option and still get to enjoy reading comics for the time being. What are the best apps for iPad by the way, I currently use marvel and comixology?

Marvel and Comixology are essentially the same App... just branded for one publisher.

Comixology has agreements with the top five publishers and most of the others.

Marvel

DC

Dark Horse

IDW

Boom!

Lego

Archie

etc.

They've quickly solidified their hold on the For Pay Digital Comics realm.

iVerse is a competitor but I don't see it getting any traction.

Marvel and Comixology are essentially the same App... just branded for one publisher.

Comixology has agreements with the top five publishers and most of the others.

Marvel

DC

Dark Horse

IDW

Boom!

Lego

Archie

etc.

They've quickly solidified their hold on the For Pay Digital Comics realm.

iVerse is a competitor but I don't see it getting any traction.

It looks like Dark Horse has pulled their content from Comixology and they are now offering content through their own application. The app is available on iPad and Android but not available on Kindle Fire and I'm not sure about the Nook Tablet. I was really excited when I read that Darkhorse was releasing digital copies of early Eerie and Creepy issues.

Super lame that they're not available on the Kindle Fire yet. I guess they're still working out the percentage that amazon will get. :(