• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Hi from Jay Parrino

66 posts in this topic

Okay, okay... form a single-file line... there's plenty o' MK to go around, ladies!

Wait, what? WHAT???

This is a COMIC BOOK FORUM?!?!?!?! Sweet fruits of Middle America! Summon my bodyguard! WHERE'S KEVIN?!?!? KEVIN!!! I NEED YOU!!! Deliver me from these geeks who will so dearly cherish my opinion that they may very well consume my flesh to gain my power!

"And IiiiiiiiiiiIiiiiiiiiiiIiiiiiiii will allllways looove youuuuuuuu..."

cloud9.gif

The thing I found most amusing is that people actually thought JP could provide some interesting insights into this hobby.

HE DOESN`T KNOW ANYTHING ABOUT COMIC COLLECTING!!!

It is purely an investment business to him, one that piqued his interest when third-party certification became prevalent because he saw an undervalued asset that he could exploit. He doesn`t love comics, probably never read them and doesn`t know anything about their history. Everything he knows about comic collecting he knows from Bill Hughes. Having said this, I am not a JP hater. I give him credit for spotting a good business opportunity, and I happened to agree with him when he jumped into the business that third-party certification opened up a whole new world for comic collecting and that comics were relatively undervalued. The lack of depth in the hobby, and the undercapitalization of many of the major dealers, was very clearly illustrated by the ease with which he could come in and so easily become a major player. It`s also good to get some outside blood in periodically to provide some fresh perspectives and diversify our very incestuous gene pool. Finally, I give him credit for finding good people to work for him and educate him on the hobby, such as Bill.

But in my opinion he would add absolutely nothing to anyone`s knowledge of comic collecting, except perhaps some parallels on the impact of certification in coin collecting.

It's the "Comic World celebrity" effect* again. People here see these guys and they geek out... and then you have four pages (and counting) of comic dorks falling all over themselves to welcome a cut-and-paste poster to the board.

*See also the well-documented "Borock Effect" for further study in the response of comic collectors to perceieved "celebrities".

893applaud-thumb.gif893applaud-thumb.gif893applaud-thumb.gif

Seriously, I have nothing against JP or his business at all. As was mentioned above, I respect his business savvy. But it's hilarious how someone with a big bank roll and millions of dollars of inventory is automatically percieved as someone who could add depth and a unique perspective to these boards.

Let's not overdue the claims of fawning fandom here. Most of the posts simply welcomed Jay Parrino to the board. Mine also asked him to not tease, but rather divulge his planned partnership for selling high grade Silver.

The thing I found most amusing is that people actually thought JP could provide some interesting insights into this hobby.

HE DOESN`T KNOW ANYTHING ABOUT COMIC COLLECTING!!!

It is purely an investment business to him, one that piqued his interest when third-party certification became prevalent because he saw an undervalued asset that he could exploit. He doesn`t love comics, probably never read them and doesn`t know anything about their history. Everything he knows about comic collecting he knows from Bill Hughes. Having said this, I am not a JP hater. I give him credit for spotting a good business opportunity, and I happened to agree with him when he jumped into the business that third-party certification opened up a whole new world for comic collecting and that comics were relatively undervalued. The lack of depth in the hobby, and the undercapitalization of many of the major dealers, was very clearly illustrated by the ease with which he could come in and so easily become a major player. It`s also good to get some outside blood in periodically to provide some fresh perspectives and diversify our very incestuous gene pool. Finally, I give him credit for finding good people to work for him and educate him on the hobby, such as Bill.

But in my opinion he would add absolutely nothing to anyone`s knowledge of comic collecting, except perhaps some parallels on the impact of certification in coin collecting.

It's the "Comic World celebrity" effect* again. People here see these guys and they geek out... and then you have four pages (and counting) of comic dorks falling all over themselves to welcome a cut-and-paste poster to the board.

*See also the well-documented "Borock Effect" for further study in the response of comic collectors to perceieved "celebrities".

893applaud-thumb.gif893applaud-thumb.gif893applaud-thumb.gif

Seriously, I have nothing against JP or his business at all. As was mentioned above, I respect his business savvy. But it's hilarious how someone with a big bank roll and millions of dollars of inventory is automatically percieved as someone who could add depth and a unique perspective to these boards.

I dont know who is advising him. But whoever it is needs as good reality check. The prices on some of the book's is just insanely stupid. Very nice book's without question. He better grow too love them, at those prices he's going too have them a very, very, very long time....

I dont know who is advising him. But whoever it is needs as good reality check. The prices on some of the book's is just insanely stupid. Very nice book's without question. He better grow too love them, at those prices he's going too have them a very, very, very long time....

amen to that!