• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Hi from Jay Parrino

66 posts in this topic

hey.... where'd Jay go????

that was a real Wham Bam Thank you Maam appearance!!

Lets all retract all our warm greetings and tell him next time he want to make an announcement of comics hes selling to take it to the Marketplace like we do to everyone else!!! Or am I too harsh..... damm specs!!! blush.gifgrin.gif

Lets all retract all our warm greetings and tell him next time he want to make an announcement of comics hes selling to take it to the Marketplace like we do to everyone else!!! Or am I too harsh..... damm specs!!! blush.gifgrin.gif

Errr, I don't suppose it's worth mentioning this, but Mr. Parrino never actually made a single direct reference to this Forum in his solitary post.

Ah well, it's great news to hear that he'll be making serious inroads into the Silver Age market. Great news indeed.

Errr, I don't suppose it's worth mentioning this, but Mr. Parrino never actually made a single direct reference to this Forum in his solitary post.

Ah well, it's great news to hear that he'll be making serious inroads into the Silver Age market. Great news indeed.

gossip.gif It's called marketing. gossip.gif

juggle.gif It's called politics. We quibble over terms.

gossip.gifyes, but you can't talk politics on these boards. gossip.gif

gossip.gifyes, but you can't talk politics on these boards. gossip.gif

foreheadslap.gif

You mean, you guys expected this dealer "demi-god" to descend from the clouds and actually interact with us mortals down here?

lol

He wants your dough.

End of story.

What, you need I should explain it to you?

Oh, and BTW......

I got yer "WELCOME TO THE BOARDS" right here, Jaybird!

well in that case, were all safe to laught at teh ridiculous prices and weird books he's bought that he will NEVER SELL!!! He should make his advisor buy them back from him!! Hope his new guy is a lot better!!!

$175,000 for an Amazing Spiderman 1?? It is a 9.6 but give me a break. Take the one off of the beginning of the book. Tops the book is worth maybe $85,00 too the serious collector who just has too have it. Im in the area of around $50,000 to $65,000 tops..... AF 15 would be a different story, that could possibly have a very weak shot at $175,00.00 More like $125,000 to 135,000 $150,000 if the buyers got out of hand.......

The thing I found most amusing is that people actually thought JP could provide some interesting insights into this hobby.

HE DOESN`T KNOW ANYTHING ABOUT COMIC COLLECTING!!!

It is purely an investment business to him, one that piqued his interest when third-party certification became prevalent because he saw an undervalued asset that he could exploit. He doesn`t love comics, probably never read them and doesn`t know anything about their history. Everything he knows about comic collecting he knows from Bill Hughes. Having said this, I am not a JP hater. I give him credit for spotting a good business opportunity, and I happened to agree with him when he jumped into the business that third-party certification opened up a whole new world for comic collecting and that comics were relatively undervalued. The lack of depth in the hobby, and the undercapitalization of many of the major dealers, was very clearly illustrated by the ease with which he could come in and so easily become a major player. It`s also good to get some outside blood in periodically to provide some fresh perspectives and diversify our very incestuous gene pool. Finally, I give him credit for finding good people to work for him and educate him on the hobby, such as Bill.

But in my opinion he would add absolutely nothing to anyone`s knowledge of comic collecting, except perhaps some parallels on the impact of certification in coin collecting.

The thing I found most amusing is that people actually thought JP could provide some interesting insights into this hobby.

It is purely an investment business to him, one that piqued his interest when third-party certification became prevalent because he saw an undervalued asset that he could exploit. He doesn`t love comics, probably never read them and doesn`t know anything about their history. Everything he knows about comic collecting he knows from Bill Hughes. Having said this, I am not a JP hater. I give him credit for spotting a good business opportunity, and I happened to agree with him when he jumped into the business that third-party certification opened up a whole new world for comic collecting and that comics were relatively undervalued. The lack of depth in the hobby, and the undercapitalization of many of the major dealers, was very clearly illustrated by the ease with which he could come in and so easily become a major player. It`s also good to get some outside blood in periodically to provide some fresh perspectives and diversify our very incestuous gene pool. Finally, I give him credit for finding good people to work for him and educate him on the hobby, such as Bill.

But in my opinion he would add absolutely nothing to anyone`s knowledge of comic collecting, except perhaps some parallels on the impact of certification in coin collecting.

It's the "Comic World celebrity" effect* again. People here see these guys and they geek out... and then you have four pages (and counting) of comic dorks falling all over themselves to welcome a cut-and-paste poster to the board.

*See also the well-documented "Borock Effect" for further study in the response of comic collectors to perceieved "celebrities".

It's the "Comic World celebrity" effect* again. People here see these guys and they geek out... and then you have four pages (and counting) of comic dorks falling all over themselves to welcome a cut-and-paste poster to the board.

*See also the well-documented "Borock Effect" for further study in the response of comic collectors to perceieved "celebrities".

OMG!

Did you guys see that???

That was MajorKhaos!

THE MAJORKHAOS!

He was actually here!

In our forums!

OMG!

Wow...

My friends are never gonna believe this...

*sigh*

He's soooooo dreamy... cloud9.gifcloud9.gif