• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Online Art Dealer Offers Print Featuring Golden Age Heroes

53 posts in this topic

Can we just go with lazy?

It makes it easier for those of us that are lazy.

I'm too lazy to fight you on this one.

So they lifted images of Golden Age comic characters straight off the covers of their comics, photoshopped them into place, and then placed an utterly silly central image betwixt them...calling it art.

Okey Dokey Then..... :eyeroll:

Roy Lichtenstein did it all the time

Reposting the two ways to sell your artistic endeavors:

1. Be immensely talented that the average work-a-day person can recognize it and places value upon it based on the perceived craftsmanship and mastery of the medium that was required to create it.

or

2. Have some sort of "gimmick" or some long, blathering self-important philosophy that convinces people who are easily persuaded that the value of what you have created can only be quantified by what other people think of it - not by what it actually is.

This guy definitely falls into category #2 with that endless spew of pretentious, nonsensical rambling bullshlt.

I love art, and I respect art - but not when it's lifted from someone else's work and resold as some sort of lame-@ss attempt at re-imagining with retro sensibilities. This kind of garbage drives me batshlt.

Doc B, FTW (thumbs u

This strikes me as exactly right.

I guess ripping off the images is permissible under some kind of "fair use" legal theory? I used to be a lawyer, but I never worked in intellectual property.

So they lifted images of Golden Age comic characters straight off the covers of their comics, photoshopped them into place, and then placed an utterly silly central image betwixt them...calling it art.

Okey Dokey Then..... :eyeroll:

Roy Lichtenstein did it all the time

Who? (shrug)

1. This is utter wank.

2. Lichtenstein was a thieving mess.

3. My masculine fantasies do not usually feature any of the things featured in this "work of art."

4. This is the second emperors new clothes art thread this week :facepalm:.

5. Did I already mention that this is utter wank?

What bothers me the most is that they could have had the stolen Green Giant using the ironing board to "leap" over instead of having his hand using nothing to make his leap. Also if they wanted to upset the masculinity ideal, they could have had Captain Marvel Jr. flying out of the dude's groin.

I could have done this way better, and I have less artistic sense than a lobotomized tapir.

About the Work

This print by artist duo McDermott and McGough appropriates the imagery of post-war comic books to mock traditional notions of masculinity. Tiny superheroes come to the rescue as a dandified young man in a tuxedo jacket and striped boxers irons his pants. This playfully subversive image juxtaposes mundane reality with heroic masculine fantasies, toying not only with retro imagery, but with present-day delusions.

Rule #1 about art: Artwork that needs to be explained is not art.

1. This is utter wank.

2. Lichtenstein was a thieving shlt.

3. My masculine fantasies do not usually feature any of the things featured in this "work of art."

+1

I was severely disappointed when I discovered what he had done, as I really idolized his pop-art style in high school and college. I use his lifting of that work in my Ethics class.

The Human Torch is still Marvel's property. If they get a whiff of this there will be a Cease and Desist letter in the mail shortly. We had Terry Moore do a twentieth anniversary store print. It had his characters, DC characters, Marvel characters (Torch and Hulk), as well as a bunch of other pop culture references all mingling in the store with staff and customers. The only problem we had was with Marvel. To paraphrase the letter we got from them - Cease and Desist from distributing this. It has Marvel characters on it.

The Human Torch is still Marvel's property. If they get a whiff of this there will be a Cease and Desist letter in the mail shortly. We had Terry Moore do a twentieth anniversary store print. It had his characters, DC characters, Marvel characters (Torch and Hulk), as well as a bunch of other pop culture references all mingling in the store with staff and customers. The only problem we had was with Marvel. To paraphrase the letter we got from them - Cease and Desist from distributing this. It has Marvel characters on it.

Terry Moore told me that your original idea was you making out with both girls from Strangers in Paradise.

Doesn't resonate with me.

Heck, Dr. Balls, Shiverbones, Oakman have better, more unique work for less money.

Many thanks, sir! :applause:

I like to think that myself, and my distinguished company above, have work that has some semblance to the creative process and individual expression - even the homages.

Terry Moore told me that your original idea was you making out with both girls from Strangers in Paradise.

Terry is 5'8" and told me you were short.

1. This is utter wank.

+1

I was severely disappointed when I discovered what he had done, as I really idolized his pop-art style in high school and college. I use his lifting of that work in my Ethics class.

:facepalm:

1. This is utter wank.

+1

I know, right? Some people still don't believe it.

1. This is utter wank.

+1

I know, right? Some people still don't believe it.

lol

I wonder how this print would do? :idea:

greggy-print.jpg

Can we go lenticular so when you wiggle it you can really see Greggy work that iron? :wishluck: