• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

BAF countdown to 22 years of Marvel Comics!!!
1 1

731 posts in this topic

Those copies of TOS and JIM give me complete runs from 1/1960 up on both titles. JIM #56-125 and TOS #7-99. :acclaim::headbang:

......those recents look mighty strong, Frank.....much nicer than average. Care to venture some grades ? Well done, bro. GOD BLESS....

-jimbo(a friend of jesus) (thumbs u

Thanks bro...only needing a few more books I find myself being more picky. And that is just extending the process of finishing this off. lol

Those copies of TOS and JIM give me complete runs from 1/1960 up on both titles. JIM #56-125 and TOS #7-99. :acclaim::headbang:

Well done. I trust you were able to get a TTA #13 before the prices got stupid.

Well done. I trust you were able to get a TTA #13 before the prices got stupid.

Groot blew up??? Avengers movie bad guy??? You cant mess with the monster from planet X!!! lol I have a copy some where. My records say its a VG+ lol Prices for that book have gone up alot?

Ebay shows a raw "1.8" selling for $185 and a raw "VG-" selling for $215 in January, whereas in Nov. $255 purchased what looked to be an accurately graded raw 7.0, and in Oct. an ebay "FN+" (looked more like a VG), went for a best offer somewhere south of the $125 asking price.

It would seem the movie hype is kicking in, but all the new Guardians firsts have shot up in value.

Ebay shows a raw "1.8" selling for $185 and a raw "VG-" selling for $215 in January, whereas in Nov. $255 purchased what looked to be an accurately graded raw 7.0, and in Oct. an ebay "FN+" (looked more like a VG), went for a best offer somewhere south of the $125 asking price.

It would seem the movie hype is kicking in, but all the new Guardians firsts have shot up in value.

Wow...that is crazy! I was kidding about the Avengers movie....what is Groot in? He's in the Guardians? I have no idea....I feel so out of touch. lol

I just read online that he is in the guardians. I really did not know that. I saw all the Rocket Raccoon hype. Thought that was pretty funny for a character who was soooo dead for years. I have the mag and the issue of Hulk he appeared in. So I was not really following all that stuff. And i have not read anything with guardians in years. Can't believe Groot made it out of pre hero hell to mainstream stuff. Crazy!

I'm sure this "Journey Into Mystery" #56 is the first Marvel comic I ever saw. I was 6 years old in Elizabethtown, Kentucky. I remember the Jack Kirby splash page to the story "I Planted The Seeds of Doom." That image of a monster chasing an astronaut on another planet stayed with me forever but I got it mixed up with a similar splash page from as story "The Luna Lizards Had Me Trapped" from Tales Of Suspense #6. I wrote that issue up as my first Marvel comic for an article on my website, which I need to correct.

At the Baltimore Con two years ago I was with Jim Frost when he was looking over some of dealer Gene Carpenter's pre-Marvel comics. Just on impulse I opened up the Journey Into Mystery #56 Gene had and there was that splash page of the monster chasing the astronaut! I was sure then I had gotten it mixed up with the Tales Of Suspense #6 splash page.

I've had a VG Robert Bell mail order copy of "Journey Into Mystery" #56 since since the early 1970s but I had forgotten it had the Kirby splash page so I made no effort to upgrade my VG copy from Bell. Jim bought Gene's copy and offered it to me but it had a small water damage spot that bothered me so I had to pass on it. I hope to find a more perfect copy someday.

Edited by the_Leader_knows

Nice books bro, keep up the good work, you are getting there (thumbs u

Thanks Kevin! (thumbs u

Come on guys....Who has one or two of the last 4 books I am lookin for to have the 20 years completed. Looking for them in mid to lower grade. 3.5-6.5 :popcorn: Mummex or Thorr anyone!???? :wishluck:

AA #3

TTA #7, 8 and 16

Been awhile since I added something to this....been working on 1950s Atlas issues because I have not been able to find the last few I needed for this project. . Got this book today in the mail. Just need two more issues for the 20 years. Still need Amazing Adventures #3 and TTA #16.

Tales to Astonish #8 MUMMEX KING OF THE MUMMIES LIVES AGAIN!!! :headbang: AMAZING COVER!!! :cloud9:

cda2e2ff34674cf26d1cb626381b42f0_zps4d854c49.jpg[/img]

Been awhile since I added something to this....been working on 1950s Atlas issues because I have not been able to find the last few I needed for this project. . Got this book today in the mail. Just need two more issues for the 20 years. Still need Amazing Adventures #3 and TTA #16.

Tales to Astonish #8 MUMMEX KING OF THE MUMMIES LIVES AGAIN!!! :headbang: AMAZING COVER!!! :cloud9:

cda2e2ff34674cf26d1cb626381b42f0_zps4d854c49.jpg[/img]

:applause:

CONGRATS Frankie! The AA 3 is a tough book to come by...probably the TTA 16 as well...I'll keep my eye out! (thumbs u

I have not added anything in a while...the last few i need have been hard to find in the grades i am looking for. Just got this one in the mail from jimjum.

Tales to Astonish #7 VG+ :cloud9: Just picked up a TTA # 16 in a sales thread on the boards. That leaves me needing just one issue for the 20 years of Marvel set. Amazing Adventures #3.

FBBA8A60-CD88-468F-BF3F-E10F112C8EF0-9429-00000E53800CC76C_zps18f50d81.jpg[/img]

Also got this one from jimjum. Not part of the 20 year set...but a real nice key issue from December 1958.

Strange Worlds #1 VG+ :headbang: James gave me a GREAT deal for the pair. A true great seller and good guy on the boards!!! Thanks Bro! :applause:

46B752A5-1465-4C3C-9ECD-76B0F1B67470-9429-00000E53846C1EEB_zpsf205fa5a.jpg[/img]

That Strange Worlds #1 came out in September 1958, the same month as Tales to Astonish #1 and Tales of Suspense #1. Along with World of Fantasy #15, also a September release, Kirby, Ditko, Heck and Ayers take over. It really is the beginning of Marvel as we will come to know it.

That Strange Worlds #1 came out in September 1958, the same month as Tales to Astonish #1 and Tales of Suspense #1. Along with World of Fantasy #15, also a September release, Kirby, Ditko, Heck and Ayers take over. It really is the beginning of Marvel as we will come to know it.

Going by cover dates. Strange worlds #1 was dec. 1958...and TTA and TOS #1 came out jan. of 1959. They all came out the same month? Thanks for the info! Your posts are very informative!

Since I enjoy the research aspect to comic book publishing, below are all the comics that Atlas released on September 2nd, 1958. The images are from the Internet.

KCO_zps34a304b0.jpg

M_zps557a0a04.jpg

PW_zpsc6120c65.jpg

SW_zpsfe511f38.jpg

TaOS_zpsc4d6e57d.jpg

TaTA_zps1c013c83.jpg

TG_zpsc3262f48.jpg

WOF_zps79488dbc.jpg

A great month for cover art with work by Don Heck, Don DeCarlo, Al Hartley, Jack Kirby and Jack Davis.

These books would make a very fine mini-collection.

Thanks Bro! And thanks for posting the all the covers for the 1/1959 comics! Cool to see all the covers! I have 5 of the 9 already. All of them are on my new Want List. 21 years of Marvel! lol

41 more comics. :popcorn:

Battle 62 up # 64

Gun Smoke Western 50 up # 51-54

JIM 50 up # 50-52

Kid Colt 82 up # 82 83

Love Romances 80 up # 80 82

Millie the Model 88 up # 88 89 91

My Own Romance 67 up # 67-71

Patsy and Hedy 63 up # 64

Patsy Walker 80 up # 83

Strange Tales 67 up # 71

Strange Worlds #2-5

TOS #3 4 6

TTA # 3 4

Two Gun Kid 45 up # 46 48 49

Worlds of Fantasy 15 up # 15 16 19

Wyatt Earp 21 up # 21 22 25

Thanks Bro! And thanks for posting the all the covers for the 1/1959 comics! Cool to see all the covers! I have 5 of the 9 already. All of them are on my new Want List. 21 years of Marvel! lol

41 more comics. :popcorn:

Battle 62 up # 64

Gun Smoke Western 50 up # 51-54

JIM 50 up # 50-52

Kid Colt 82 up # 82 83

Love Romances 80 up # 80 82

Millie the Model 88 up # 88 89 91

My Own Romance 67 up # 67-71

Patsy and Hedy 63 up # 64

Patsy Walker 80 up # 83

Strange Tales 67 up # 71

Strange Worlds #2-5

TOS #3 4 6

TTA # 3 4

Two Gun Kid 45 up # 46 48 49

Worlds of Fantasy 15 up # 15 16 19

Wyatt Earp 21 up # 21 22 25

[/quote

.......starting with SW 1 really is the logical approach. That issue has one of the strongest "Ancient One" prototypes out there. GOD BLESS...

-jimbo(a friend of jesus) (thumbs u