• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

A few Marvel collections/TPB, are they worth reading?

19 posts in this topic

I have a small list of Marvel TPB's, collections and/or omnibus' I want to read eventually. Out of my list has anyone here read any of these and are they worth reading? Or do you have any suggestions for good reading that had a big effect on the Marvel Universe besides the normal ones like Secret War, Miller DD, Civil War, WW Hulk,Claremont X-Men, Kree/Skrull War.

Anyway, here is my list. Lots of input is good. Thanks.

X-Men Fall Of The Mutants (omnibus)

Acts Of Vengeance (omnibus)

Fear Itself (limited series)

X-Men: Fatal Attractions

Carnage U.S.A

These ones seem to interest me but I have not read any of them except the Cosmic Spider-Man story from Acts Of Vengeance. Thanks again.

Eric

I have a small list of Marvel TPB's, collections and/or omnibus' I want to read eventually. Out of my list has anyone here read any of these and are they worth reading? Or do you have any suggestions for good reading that had a big effect on the Marvel Universe besides the normal ones like Secret War, Miller DD, Civil War, WW Hulk,Claremont X-Men, Kree/Skrull War.

Anyway, here is my list. Lots of input is good. Thanks.

X-Men Fall Of The Mutants (omnibus)

Acts Of Vengeance (omnibus)

Fear Itself (limited series)

X-Men: Fatal Attractions

Carnage U.S.A

These ones seem to interest me but I have not read any of them except the Cosmic Spider-Man story from Acts Of Vengeance. Thanks again.

Eric

Fear Itself was good not great. Acts of Vengeance was great in the Avengers titles. Civil War was very good, Secret Invasion was decent. i really liked the Dark Reign period that led up to Siege. If you can get your hands on the 2 Dark Avengers trades plus the Dark Avengers/Uncanny X-Men crossover those are both great reading IMO.

The whole run of Thunderbolts during this time was wildly fun to read. A train wreck in every issue!

Fall of the Mutants FTW. Probably my favorite X-Men story arc (at least up to Age of Apocalypse - I didn't read any after that).

IMHO, Fatal Attractions/Wolverine #75 is probably one of the best Marvel stories written in the Copper age (and one of my favorite stand alones of all time). Sure, I say that as a Wolverine fan - but the buildup plays out amazingly, everyone's character is tuned in and it culminates perfectly.

I read Marvels it was a good read. I also read Secret Invasion as mentioned as well. I never read Dark Avengers or Thunderbolts. hm

I noticed there is also a Atlantis Attacks Omnibus but I remember reading some of the back stories in annuals when I was younger and found it boring...but again I was younger.

What about Inferno, was that any good?

Thanks for the posts guys and keep them coming.

meh - I wasn't big on Inferno, but I only read it once. I wasn't a fan of the whole Goblin Queen/Demonic retcon thing. The best part of the entire storyarc was the opening page of Uncanny 242.

I would recommend Old Man Logan if you haven't read it yet.

Nope I have not read Old Man Logan. It is good is it? I did read Wolverine Origins and that was okay. Not as good as I was expecting.

Are you only interested in Marvel "proper"?

Ultimate Spidey and The Ultimates (Vol 1 & 2) were all fun stuff.

How about any of the Bendis and then Brubaker DD's? Those were outstanding (and part of regular Marvel).

The Byrne FF's were really good.

Here's some I really liked:

Marvels

DD Born Again

DD Miller Omnibus

Simonson Thor Omnibus

Ultimate Spidey except for the clone volume

Ultimate X-Men first few volumes

Silver Surfer Requiem (patchy but the good bits are great)

Marvel 1602 - probably my favourite

I'll try a few of the ones listed by others here as well. Thanks guys.

Yup, I am strictly a Marvel guy and always have been. (though I do read, Walking Dead and Savage Dragon) I own the Bendis and Brubaker DD's and I agree they are good. I have collected Daredevil for the last 12 years or so. I do like the Daredevil Born Again saga as well and have a hardcover version of that.

I have the Walt Simonson Thor omnibus and am about half way through with that and have enjoyed it so far. I have the Byrne Fantastic Four omnibus but have not started reading that yet.

I did collect Ultimate Spider-Man when they introduced Ultimate Venom and collected that title for about a year until I had to cut back on some titles because I couldn't afford them anymore. What I did read I liked, at some point I would like to start that series from the beginning and read it right through. In trades of course, that series stopped at/around #150?? I do like TPB's, it is a good way to read comics and I don't have to be as careful holding them! lol

Thanks for all the post guys and keep the suggestions coming, I see it is giving others some ideas of what to read as well. :applause:

Question on the FF Byrne omnibus: I noticed it does not include the FF issues Byrne did when the She-Hulk took over the Thing's spot? Any idea why not? How many issues is it missing that Byrne did on the FF that is not reprinted in it?

I guess that was a few questions! lol

Of your choices, Acts of Vengeance is a good old-fashioned superhero comic book story. Don't think I've read any of the others.

Yup, I really want to check out the Acts Of Vengeance omnibus. I told my wife that is what I want for my birthday but that is not until July! I need to get me a job, it has almost been one year since I have been out of work! I can't take much more! :ohnoez: