• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

WIZARD'S 100 Greatest Covers

293 posts in this topic

100 Best Covers #84: Silver Surfer #4 (1968)

74634472628.4.gif

Wouldn't you hate to get in the way of this brawl? The late John Buscema had a knack for figure drawing and this cover has the single-best Thor pose *ever* - he looks like he could shatter Saturn! "In high school, I had an artist friend do a blown-up copy of this cover on my bedroom ceiling," remembers SUPERMAN writer Jeph Loeb. "Now THAT was cool."

100 Best Covers #83: Captain America #113 (1969)

14462577792.113.GIF

Design master Jim Steranko combined Captain America with the mystery of death in this commanding cover. "The best covers combine the iconic quality of the hero with the intimate - what's happening inside?" says DAREDEVIL: YELLOW artist Tim Sale. "Steranko compelled you to *open this book* with an unparalleled design."

100 Best Covers #82: Avengers #223 (1982)

05815547774.223.GIF

They're aiming at you. That's the two-fisted message on this cover as Hawkeye and Ant-Man (Hawkeye and Ant-Man!) face you dead-serious, break through the fourth wall and stop you dead in your tracks. Mix the "SOMEBODY'S GONNA GET IT!" cover blurb with Ed Hannigan and Klaus Janson's art and you have a cover that proves even two obscure characters (HAWKEYE AND ANT-MAN, DAMMIT! can still hit the bullseye.

100 Best Covers #81: Preacher: The Story of You-Know-Who (1996)

63281503576.1.GIF

Ugh. This Glenn Fabry cover is like a car crash - you can't help but stare. The, uh, visage belongs to PREACHER's "Arseface" Root, who tried to imitate grunge rocker Kurt Cobain's gunshot suicide... but failed. "The Arseface Special makes the ugly exquisite," says Joe Kelly. "Fabry is a sick, sick genius, and I thank god for his work every time I see it."

100 Best Covers #80: Avengers #145 (1975)

05815547774.145.GIF

Cover artist Gil Kane has drawn four on our list. One look at this and you can see why. "Gil Kane's covers were fluid," says SUPERMAN writer Jeph Loeb, on Kane's cover forte. "You almost were looking at animation - even if it were a very still shot. He could make a person *standing* on the cover look like he would leap out at you in the very next second."

100 Best Covers #79: Fantastic Four #1 (1961)

30929984076.1.GIF

Bridging the gap between the twilight of Marvel's monster-driven comics and the dawn of the spandex heroes, Jack Kirby's FF #1 cover successfully blended the familiar (the monster) with the new (the FF). But what made this cover so unique for its time? How different it is from typical covers today. "You're seeing the Thing's back," says Savage Dragon creator Erik Larsen. "None of the heroes are in costume. They're not victorious."

100 Best Covers #78: Avengers #4 (1963)

05815547774.4.GIF

Captain America returns to comics after 10 years of collecting dust! And not only that, but Jack Kirby's charismatic cover composition heralds his tremendous impact on the Avengers. "It's the single-most important return of an icon in comic book history," says Geoff Johns, who begins writing AVENGERS in July. "Powerful, simple and historical."

100 Best Covers #84: Silver Surfer #4 (1968)

74634472628.4.gif

Wouldn't you hate to get in the way of this brawl? The late John Buscema had a knack for figure drawing and this cover has the single-best Thor pose *ever* - he looks like he could shatter Saturn! "In high school, I had an artist friend do a blown-up copy of this cover on my bedroom ceiling," remembers SUPERMAN writer Jeph Loeb. "Now THAT was cool."

kick [!@#%^&^] cover, did he ever hit the Surfer?

100 Best Covers #77: Superman #75 (1992)

83756635410.75.NEWSTND.GIF

Superman's tattered cape distressed millions of fans. "We came up with three or four sketches," says cover artist Dan Jurgens. "The idea was to put his dead body on the cover, but with a different approach. We didn't want Doomsday holding his body. I came up with the torn cape fluttering by and hung it on a stick - it said 'Death of Superman' more than anything else."

100 Best Covers #76: Captain America #321 (1986)

14462577792.321.GIF

Whoa! Mike Zeck draws a killer Cap who looks nothing like the overgrown Boy Scout we're used to, but reminds you that Cap's a super-SOLDIER. "It looked more like a Punisher cover than a Cap cover!" says John Romita Sr. "Zeck had a great knack for intensity like that."

100 Best Covers #75: Incredible Hulk #317 (1985)

41319167562.317.GIF

Who ya gonna call? This visual says everything you want to know about the issue very clearly: NO HULKS ALLOWED. And this time, the Hulk-busters mean business. How do they break the Hulk? That's the beauty of this John Byrne cover. Ya gotta pick it up to find out.

100 Best Covers #74: X-Men #116 (2001)

97794297722.116.GIF

Her body, face, pose, costume and background color all scream it: sex. Dripping with raw sensuality, the White Queen rivals most MAXIM covers. The inspiration? "What I like about this cover is that I modeled it on my lovely wife, Ann Jane," says cover artist Frank Quitely. "What I don't like about it is that it doesn't look anything like her."

100 Best Covers #73: Batman #232 (1971)

rad222F9.jpg

Robin shot?? Back in 1971, such a thing was unheard of - never mind seeing it happen! "No one was experimenting," says cover artist Neal Adams on the pencil-sketchy background of Ra's Al Ghul. "I was like this crazy radical rampaging through DC comics, telling them what they could do. Now it's done all the time. But in those days... they thought it was from Mars."

100 Best Covers #72: Uncanny X-Men #137 (1979)

97792366288.137.GIF

The upward angle and shredded costumes channel the desperation of young lovers Cyclops and Phoenix fighting for the tagline's high stakes. "My Mom was passing away from cancer and I read the issue to her when it came out," says Chaos! Publisher Brian Pulido, on John Byrne and Terry Austin's cover. "There's a ton of drama to that cover and it brought us both a little relief from real life."