• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

WIZARD'S 100 Greatest Covers

293 posts in this topic

100 Best Covers #40: Captain America #286 (1983)

14462577792.286.GIF

Cap is dead. Or at least in deep ca-ca. One look at Deathlok - that rotting, cyberpunk-like ghoul with the face of pitiless determination - and you know that the first round of a kickass fight is about to take place. "[Then-Cap] editor Mark Gruenwald just loved that cover," says cover artist Mike Zeck. "Right away, he had a black-and-white poster made of it for himself."

100 Best Covers #39: Uncanny X-Men #251 (1989)

97792366288.251.GIF

Symbolism was never so in-your-face as when Wolverine was crucified on this cover. "What appealed to me was that mutants had been publicly vilified, even by their own types," says the issue's cover artist Marc Silvestri. "I wanted to convey that mutants and people who don't fit in are crucified either by society or by themselves."

Does anybody have the web site with this list on it? I tried to find it on wizardworld.com and couldn't, thanks in advance smile.gif

WELCOME TO THE BOARDS!!

As far as I know, it isn't on any website, just the April 2002 edition of WIZARD. But don't worry, I'll be posting the whole thing. grin.gif

14462577792.286.GIF

I'm not disputing that this is a fairly cool cover, but top 100? Nah. There is so much more room for some of the Golden Age beauties out there (like Pov stated earlier). I don't find this cover particularly beautiful, revolutionary, or artistic. The "hero in the crosshairs" bit has been done to death.

How is Deathlok going to shoot Cap with glass blocking the bullet? confused.gif

Nonono...his technology is very sophisticated. Notice that he has two guns. The gun pointing at Cap is ONLY for aiming. When Deathlok is ready to fire, he will use the OTHER gun.

Actually, it's probably a laser or some other contraption that requires a focusing lens to harness the destructive power of...something cool. confused-smiley-013.gif At least that is what I would say to cover up something like that.

How is Deathlok going to shoot Cap with glass blocking the bullet? confused.gif

Nonono...his technology is very sophisticated. Notice that he has two guns. The gun pointing at Cap is ONLY for aiming. When Deathlok is ready to fire, he will use the OTHER gun.

Actually, it's probably a laser or some other contraption that requires a focusing lens to harness the destructive power of...something cool. confused-smiley-013.gif At least that is what I would say to cover up something like that.

Paging Deathlok, paging Deathlok

Does anybody have the web site with this list on it? I tried to find it on wizardworld.com and couldn't, thanks in advance smile.gif

WELCOME TO THE BOARDS!!

As far as I know, it isn't on any website, just the April 2002 edition of WIZARD. But don't worry, I'll be posting the whole thing. grin.gif

Thanks!

Cool thanks for the info, this is a great thread, keep em' coming 893applaud-thumb.gif

100 Best Covers #46: Hit Comics #5 (1940)

hit1.194a.jpg

When Lou Fine shared a studio with legends Will Eisner, Jack Kirby and Joe Kubert, Eisner said that Fine was the finest artist there. Fine worked with such precision that Eisner said he drew "like a surgeon." And as seen on this powerful cover, Fine could even make the Red Bee look fluid, smooth and dramatic.

Ah yea....a...ok.....NEXT PLEASE tonofbricks.gif

The fish looks cool but the hero looks looks even fruitier than most super heros.

To me it's not the art on the cover but the writing that's sexually suggestive!

The Red Bee plunges his big knife into the Killer Fish!

foreheadslap.gif

Jack and Jill meet the Famous Neon Twins!?

blush.gif27_laughing.gif

Someone wanted a scan? grin.gif

Grr! For some reason, when I try to "image" the attachment, it just writes out the properties instead of giving me an actual pic. Any of you more computer-savy people feel like posting it?

Someone wanted a scan? grin.gif

Grr! For some reason, when I try to "image" the attachment, it just writes out the properties instead of giving me an actual pic. Any of you more computer-savy people feel like posting it?

I edited my post and the scan shows up for me...? confused.gif

100 Best Covers #38: Fantastic Four #51 (1966)

523454-FF51.jpg

Thanks to ACES for the scan flowerred.gif

Jack Kirby nailed what it's like being a man trapped inside the form of a monster. "As much as the image was strong, the words, 'This Man, This Monster,' really got the emotion across with Ben Grimm [a.k.a. The Thing] standing there, head down, sad," says artist George Perez. "That cover says so much about who Ben is."

100 Best Covers #46: Hit Comics #5 (1940)

hit1.194a.jpg

When Lou Fine shared a studio with legends Will Eisner, Jack Kirby and Joe Kubert, Eisner said that Fine was the finest artist there. Fine worked with such precision that Eisner said he drew "like a surgeon." And as seen on this powerful cover, Fine could even make the Red Bee look fluid, smooth and dramatic.

Ah yea....a...ok.....NEXT PLEASE tonofbricks.gif

The fish looks cool but the hero looks looks even fruitier than most super heros.

To me it's not the art on the cover but the writing that's sexually suggestive!

The Red Bee plunges his big knife into the Killer Fish!

foreheadslap.gif

Jack and Jill meet the Famous Neon Twins!?

blush.gif27_laughing.gif

I bet they really wanted it to be the Nympho Twins. 893scratchchin-thumb.gif

I bet they really wanted it to be the Nympho Twins. 893scratchchin-thumb.gif

27_laughing.gif

After seeing some of these pre-code covers, now I know why people wanted some kind of comics code.

893scratchchin-thumb.gif

100 Best Covers #37: Uncanny X-Men #56 (1969)

97792366288.56.GIF

Gimme that logo! You want "power"? Try this on for size: The interaction between the Living Pharaoh and the X-MEN logo was the FIRST TIME IT'S EVER BEEN DONE. (Think about that a sec.) Leave it to Neal Adams to innovate yet another cover technique that's been imitated thousands of times since.

Try this on for size: The interaction between the Living Pharaoh and the X-MEN logo was the FIRST TIME IT'S EVER BEEN DONE. (Think about that a sec.) Leave it to Neal Adams to innovate yet another cover technique that's been imitated thousands of times since.

sign-rantpost.gif Oh, Horse-hockey, Wizard!

Unless you narrowly define "interaction between" to mean "holding in both hands" there are plenty of earlier examples. Will Eisner started this with his Spirit Sections. Silver Age examples prior to Adams' X-Men 56 include:

Interaction Between = Standing Upon, 1968

1488_4_42.jpg

Interaction Between = Lounging Around, 1967

1428_4_174.jpg

Oh, and I had a problem loading the X-Men image from MHC. Here's an alternate look at Adams' 1969 cover:

1576_4_056.jpg