• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

WIZARD'S 100 Greatest Covers

293 posts in this topic

100 Best Covers #45: Amazing Spider-Man #245 (1983)

77906321824.245.GIF

John Romita Jr.'s cover made certain *this was it*. "The way Spider-Man held Hobgoblin's mask in his fist totally empty and limp really got to me," remembers FLASH writer Geoff Johns. "I wasn't sure they'd really tell me who the Hobgoblin was ... and if they hadn't? I'm not sure I would have cared."

100 Best Covers #45: Amazing Spider-Man #245 (1983)

77906321824.245.GIF

John Romita Jr.'s cover made certain *this was it*. "The way Spider-Man held Hobgoblin's mask in his fist totally empty and limp really got to me," remembers FLASH writer Geoff Johns. "I wasn't sure they'd really tell me who the Hobgoblin was ... and if they hadn't? I'm not sure I would have cared."

Lots of great covers from that period for Amazing Spider-Man. That's definitely one of the best. 893applaud-thumb.gif

100 Best Covers #44: Batman: Dark Knight Returns #1 (1986)

21805889860.1.1ST.PRT.GIF

One of the most recognizable covers of the past 15 years. Frank Miller and colorist Lynn Varley create a very striking visual that, according to JLA writer Joe Kelly. "would change the face of Batman and comics for [time to come]." Adds Greg Horn (ELAKTRA): "It could be comics' greatest example of 'less is more.'"

893whatthe.gif

next please?!?!!

That is one of the maybe 10 covers on this list that actually belongs there!

You guys talk about liefeld having no clue on Anatomy...just look at this guy's leg.

893whatthe.gif

next please?!?!!

That is one of the maybe 10 covers on this list that actually belongs there!

You guys talk about liefeld having no clue on Anatomy...just look at this guy's leg.

Forget that, look at teh sleeves of the shirt. I bet he wants to poke that fish with more than a knife??? confused.gif

lou fine was an exceptional anatomist, there is nothing wrong with either leg on that cover! foreheadslap.gif liefeld could not draw the angle of red bee's hands even if he traced that hit cover!

and i didn't realize that any hint of homosexuality, real or implied, kept a drawing from having merit. confused-smiley-013.gif

and i didn't realize that any hint of homosexuality, real or implied, kept a drawing from having merit. confused-smiley-013.gif

Very goog point.......i think? But you are right. flamed.gif

Does wanting to make it with a fish make you homosexual??? I hope not boo.gif

100 Best Covers #44: Batman: Dark Knight Returns #1 (1986)

21805889860.1.1ST.PRT.GIF

One of the most recognizable covers of the past 15 years. Frank Miller and colorist Lynn Varley create a very striking visual that, according to JLA writer Joe Kelly. "would change the face of Batman and comics for [time to come]." Adds Greg Horn (ELAKTRA): "It could be comics' greatest example of 'less is more.'"

love that cover! cloud9.gif thanks for posting it! acclaim.gif

Half of these covers including this Batman one do not even deserve to be in the top 500 covers..there should be golden age goodgirl art replacing this garbage especially the Emma frost cover tonofbricks.gif

100 Best Covers #43: The Coffin #1 (2000)

17762432781.1.GIF

This preternatural cover by Mike Huddleston poses lots of questions about who this character is. This image works universally. "The color scheme works great," says Phil Hester, COFFIN writer. "But not only that, it captures so much of the potential of the story. It's pretty rare that you get a cover that implies the guts of the story so well."

Does wanting to make it with a fish make you homosexual??? I hope not boo.gif

no, it doesn't make you [!@#%^&^], it makes you troy mcclure.

there should be golden age goodgirl art replacing this garbage especially the Emma frost cover

Yeah, if there's just one cover I could kick out of the list, it would be that Emma Frost one.

100 Best Covers #42: Detective Comics #574 (1987)

db_1_b.JPG

It was one of the Dark Knight's darkest nights. Before it was the in-thing to kill Robin, this silhouetted image by Alan Davis and Paul Neary struck a chord with its powerful yet simple imagery. The fact that this is Batman and Robin leaves an indelible impression.

17762432781.1.GIF

Maybe it's just me, but I've never even HEARD of this title before. I know the ranking of a lot of the more famous covers is subject to much debate/argument, but at least they're FAMOUS covers. Am I the only one who's never seen this cover or this title before?

17762432781.1.GIF

Maybe it's just me, but I've never even HEARD of this title before. I know the ranking of a lot of the more famous covers is subject to much debate/argument, but at least they're FAMOUS covers. Am I the only one who's never seen this cover or this title before?

I remeber seeing that John Larroquette show and they were doing comic books, and they listed this [!@#%^&^] [!@#%^&^] book as one new issue that might be worth investing in. 27_laughing.gif. The cover also sucks big time...

100 Best Covers #41: Superman Forever #1 (1998)

83903424394.1.NEWSTAND.GIF

Admit it: This cover gives you the goose bumps, too. Alex Ross takes this classic shot of Superman and modernizes it with his ultra-realistic painting style. Using his trademark angle of looking up at a hero from a slightly lower vantage point, Ross depicts the Man of Steel in a larger-than-life stature - and rightfully so.