• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Ever have an ebay buyer that is demanding his comics be in mylar

53 posts in this topic

Ok, some real thoughts....

1. The Buyer should always ask politely if you could pack their items a certain way. NOT demand that you do it after the auction is over, and assume you have easy access to these materials. That's just basic social etiquette.

2. For future auctions, the Seller may want to consider putting a blurb in their listings saying something to the effect of "I ship books [in this manner]. Any additional shipping requests may cost extra depending upon the request."

Oddly enough I was going to post this today as well. Here is his note verbatim :

Please make sure you package it in a well-protected manner. I have been burnt in the past. To pack your comics, each comic MUST BE PLACED in a MYLAR WITH BACKING BOARD.Then place the books between two firm pieces of OVERSIZED&Thick cardboard & tape them together (this will provide a firm support on top and bottom of the comics). Surround the secured books with multiple layers of cushioning material/newspaper so that comics will not move during shipment, & place all in a sturdy Priority Mail BOX.

I did everything except I substituted regular comic bags for the mylars. His ebay name is Knieves. He's won 119 auctions in the last 30 days with all but one of them being The Walking Dead,

http://cgi6.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewBidItems&userid=knieves&sort=1&page=1&rows=50&completed=1&all=0

same guy....and he wants it in a sturdy priority mail box even though it's being shipped via media mail

Future blocked buyer.

Why, he was polite. A little obnoxious maybe, but he clearly just doesn't want his book damaged.

If you packed it securely and he gets it safely, he'll probably be happy. The only reason to block someone like this is if you pack like .

My problem with the whole thing was his insistence that I pack it HIS way. My reply that it would be packed securely and reach him in the stated condition should have been enough. I've been shipping comics for a long time. This ain't my first rodeo.

I would have wrapped it in aluminum foil and claimed insanity.

I use aluminum foil for shipping all the time. It works great.

Hell, I have used aluminum foil before for protection also. They say it is great for her pleasure. :insane:

I have learned that there are two kinds of people shipping on ebay. I have bought books from comic guys and they are packed very well and then there is the guy who sent them to me in an envelope.Those books are now my grandkids.

I can relate because this week has been the week from hell from eBay buyers for me. I'm going to share with you all an eBay message conversation with a buyer. When reading this exchange, keep in mind the book in question cost all of $7.95.

BUYER: Would you please use plastic wrap liberally to bind the bagged and boarded comic to a piece of cardboard then use a second piece of cardboard on top of the other side of the book and use plastic wrap liberally to bind the book to the next piece of cardboard and wrap the whole package to keep the book from sliding and being nicked or dinged on the corners or otherwise damaged. Please use this in addition to your own method for packaging. I have had bad experiences with comics being damaged during shipping and this book looks beautiful in the photo and I intend to send it to CGC and sincerely appreciate your assistance in helping me receive the book in perfect condition. Thank you for your consideration. I look forward to doing more business soon.

ME: Your comic has been packaged securely and should arrive to you without incident. Thanks for your business.

BUYER: Would you please use plastic wrap liberally to bind the bagged and boarded comic to a piece of cardboard then use a second piece of cardboard on top of the other side of the book and use plastic wrap liberally to bind the book to the next piece of cardboard and wrap the whole package to keep the book from sliding and being nicked or dinged on the corners or otherwise damaged. Please use this in addition to your own method for packaging. I have had bad experiences with comics being damaged during shipping and this book looks beautiful in the photo and I intend to send it to CGC and sincerely appreciate your assistance in helping me receive the book in perfect condition. Thank you for your consideration. I look forward to doing more business soon.

Yep, he's holding firm to that plastic wrap request. (shrug)

Future blocked buyer.

As I said in a few threads it`s usually the people who spend 10 bucks or less who are the biggest pains in the arse on Ebay. ;) That`s why I don`t sell those kind of cheap books anymore. The aggravation isn`t worth it,so I just toss those kind of books out with the trash. Tell the buyer to pay you for the myler extra if he wants one so bad. If not then kindly tell him you will ship the book well packed, if he doesn`t agree cancel the transaction. :)

Actually he used the word MUST...sold 17 comics in a lot. Apparently it's not possible for the comics to arrive undamaged unless they're in mylar.

I would tell him he must lick my balls.

LMFAO this made me laugh so much, thank you for the laugh.

Having raw books bagged and board and put in a Mylar (five bagged/boarded books easily fit in one Mylar) help a lot reducing the risk of damage on books during transportation.

If the buyer had bad experiences in the past with books received with damage because of impact dings on corners, I understand why he has such a request. Mylars enhance protection for raw books.

If that bother you as a seller, then why don't you just ask him to pay for the cost of Mylars ? It is a small cost and should not be a problem for him if that is what he wants.

All of the raw books I receive are in poly bags and I transfer them to mylars when I receive them. It's not that hard (shrug)

And how can sending something in mylar stop it from getting impact marks and corner dings?

Mylar is good for long term storage but it doesn't make your books bullet proof.

Oddly enough I was going to post this today as well. Here is his note verbatim :

Please make sure you package it in a well-protected manner. I have been burnt in the past. To pack your comics, each comic MUST BE PLACED in a MYLAR WITH BACKING BOARD.Then place the books between two firm pieces of OVERSIZED&Thick cardboard & tape them together (this will provide a firm support on top and bottom of the comics). Surround the secured books with multiple layers of cushioning material/newspaper so that comics will not move during shipment, & place all in a sturdy Priority Mail BOX.

Before you sent these you really should have placed a sheet of microchamber paper in the pages of every book....

:jokealert:

And how can sending something in mylar stop it from getting impact marks and corner dings?

I already did answer this question. Read my second post in this thread (top of p.4).

Mylar is obviously not bullet proof (even a CGC case is not), but it will increase significantly protection during transportation.

I already did answer this question. Read my second post in this thread (top of p.4).

Mylar is obviously not bullet proof (even a CGC case is not), but it will increase significantly protection during transportation.

"Mylars are very useful as they help protect book's corners in case the box is knocked or dropped. Mylar will take the first hit rather than the book.

Many books that were sent to me have been saved thanks to the Mylars the sellers used to send me their comics. Postmen are not always delicate when handling packages.

I recently received a large lot of books from an eBay seller. Strangely, some of them were put in Mylars, the others were not. The ones in the Mylars were totally undamaged; the other ones have all been crushed or dinged on corners. "

Are you using "mylar" as a generic term for comic book bags? Or are you saying Mylar bags offer more protection then regular polypropylene bags?

PS - You can change your "posts per page" setting under My Stuff, 10 per page is a PITA to read.