• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

ICE COLD SLABS?

20 posts in this topic

I'm new to the boards and have only been receiving my 1st CGC books in the post over the last couple of weeks. Anyway my most recent package arrived yesterday with 3 slabs bought off a board member, wonderfully packed and fantastic books so no problem with the purchase at all. However when I unwrapped each slab from the bubble wrap it was freezing cold like a block of ice and quickly became covered in condensation. My questions are has this happened to anyone else and should I be worried that the books have been damaged in any way? I asked the board member and they said it had never happened to them and I should pose the question here. I wouldn't have done so if they weren't happy with me doing so as like I said they've done everything perfectly.

If anyone can offer any advice it would be much appreciated. On inspection the books seem perfectly fine, but obviously I'm worried that they may have been effected in some way that is currently not visible.

Yes I was getting that visual effect on one of the books. At the time I had my heart in my throat thinking it had been damaged but then realised that it was just light refracting off the plastics. It was just the fact that the books had gotten that cold and that they were covered in moisture when exposed to room temperature. So do you think they should be ok?

In cold winters here in Ohio, I have had packages left on my porch. The slabs are absolutely freezing cold when they are unpackaged. I have never had condensation form, probably because the humidity here and especially in my place are low. But if it did happen, I wouldn't be too worried about it. Just dry them off and get them up to room temperature.

Yes the uk is a very humid country and unfortunately my house is particularly bad, I have dehumidifiers running all the time. I assume the books got really cold during the flight over the Atlantic and then the bubble wrap acted as insulation and locked in the cold. I wonder if there's a way to prevent that?

I treat it like a computer that's really cold. Just bring the box inside and let it slowly get acclimated in temperature. Opening it up quickly just encourages pulling moisture from the air. Coming up to temp in the box has less likelihood.

I have seen slabs (particularly the inner well) produce the same effect as leaving a plastic water bottle on a warm day in your car, or pulling out a plastic water bottle out from your freezer to thaw. Just keep an eye for curving lines on the outer edges, or any signs of trapped moisture.

I treat it like a computer that's really cold. Just bring the box inside and let it slowly get acclimated in temperature. Opening it up quickly just encourages pulling moisture from the air. Coming up to temp in the box has less likelihood.

Good advice which I'll follow for future deliveries

Sounds like it's more common than I thought. I guess living in California has its benefits. Glad they arrived safe Jamie (thumbs u

Yeah I made sure I pointed out I was delighted with the books and the way you packed them, I hope I get the opportunity to buy from you in the future. Even though I think you said you selling off all your slabs so maybe that won't happen :(

I'm sure books arriving without condensation is just 1 in a list of many benefits of living in California! My Aunty lives there and iv loved it since my 1st visit aged 5

Being in Canada, I've had many slabs 'fog' up from coming in from the cold just like a pair of eye glases would fog up. It is moisture, but it is so slight that the fogginess will evaporate in a few minutes without any ill effect to the inner slab and comic. Goes to show that high humidity in either a cold or hot climate can still have the same effect on a comic whether it is in a encased slab or not. So watch those staples!

Sounds like it's more common than I thought. I guess living in California has its benefits. Glad they arrived safe Jamie (thumbs u

Yeah I made sure I pointed out I was delighted with the books and the way you packed them, I hope I get the opportunity to buy from you in the future. Even though I think you said you selling off all your slabs so maybe that won't happen :(

I'm sure books arriving without condensation is just 1 in a list of many benefits of living in California! My Aunty lives there and iv loved it since my 1st visit aged 5

The babes aren't bad either. :luhv: