• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Is CGC good for comics?

131 posts in this topic

That's too bad. I have something similar on my ASM 119 WM book. I have no doubt it'd still be a 9.4 if I opened it and straightened it out though. The fact that it is literally flawless except for the corner makes me wonder if it wasn't already there (speaking of my ASM 119, that is).

It's a storage problem, but after the defects happen then it becomes a grade problem. Because sometimes it effects the grade, if only people would be careful with their books. I don't know anyone that slams around books in mylars, why do it to books in CGC holders? frown.gif

Brian

I think it happened in the mail. confused-smiley-013.gif

I have always wondered why the inner well couldn't just be a snug-fitting enclosure like a 4 mil mylar top-loader sleeve. At least if a book sloshes around in a mylar that is too big for the book, the V shaped interior "edges" slow the book down instead of damaging it like the flat edges of the slab do.

Because sometimes it effects the grade, if only people would be careful with their books. I don't know anyone that slams around books in mylars, why do it to books in CGC holders?

Maybe those impacts occur during shipping. Comics in CGC holders SHOULD NOT be able to move at all.

Only one book that I have slabbed would move around that freely, and it's one of those giant sized books. It takes a strong impact for most of my books even to move.. I had to hit them on the sides fairly hard in order to position the book against the spine for storage.

Brian

Only one book that I have slabbed would move around that freely, and it's one of those giant sized books. It takes a strong impact for most of my books even to move.. I had to hit them on the sides fairly hard in order to position the book against the spine for storage.

Brian

maybe you should just sell it to me then so you don't have that problem. Which book is it?

I have always wondered why the inner well couldn't just be a snug-fitting enclosure like a 4 mil mylar top-loader sleeve. At least if a book sloshes around in a mylar that is too big for the book, the V shaped interior "edges" slow the book down instead of damaging it like the flat edges of the slab do.

I totally agree, and case damage is my number one issue with CGC books. I may jab CGC from time to time, but I own more than a few of them, and it's truly scary how much leeway some of the books have in the slab.

Just imagine what freaky condition some of those Hulk 181 flip-machines have, after being mailed across the country a few dozen times.

I totally agree, and case damage is my number one issue with CGC books. I may jab CGC from time to time, but I own more than a few of them, and it's truly scary how much leeway some of the books have in the slab.

Just imagine what freaky condition some of those Hulk 181 flip-machines have, after being mailed across the country a few dozen times.

Or even better -- how about those 10.0s that people are paying crazy money for? One small ding and you've got a $400 modern 9.6 in a 10.0 slab.

It's a storage problem IMO. The same thing would happen in a mylar if you banged it around. People need to stop being dumb and take responsibility for care of their own books.

So you don't think it is an issue when the book is being shipped? I'm betting this is where most CGC holder damage is occuring. Safe storage is not a problem for most serious collectors.

It's a storage problem IMO. The same thing would happen in a mylar if you banged it around. People need to stop being dumb and take responsibility for care of their own books.

So you don't think it is an issue when the book is being shipped? I'm betting this is where most CGC holder damage is occuring. Safe storage is not a problem for most serious collectors.

I agree with the postal damage.

If a CGC comic case can be so roughly handled in the mail... to the point of cracking, or breaking the outer case..in a safely packed mailing box.

What effect do you think this trauma has on the little ol sealed comic inside?

ouchy... sumo.gif

As I said, I literally haven't seen any books that shift so loosely that movement by the USPS would cause dmg.. well unless it was packaged extremely poorly. Perhaps I'm lucky, I don't know. I've only got 1 that shifts very easily at all, and that's the ASM 102. The ASM 119 that I have is very tightly in its holder but there's definately the corner problem, which IMO is from someone dropping it.

Hopefully I can continue my luck streak and never get any of these looser books.

Brian