• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Is CGC good for comics?

131 posts in this topic

Exactly, he owns his own grading service, but feels free to criticize other grading services, why is his grading business suddenly a private matter?

He doesn't like the CGC modern grading game, yet includes moderns in his list of books that he will grade.

He says he won't criticize other grading companies as his company policy, yet says whatever he pleases about them on the CBR message boards.

Seem a trifle confused if you ask me, which of course, no one did. All I asked was for him to clarify and suddenly it's a private matter that we must discuss privately and I'm the bad guy (and god forbid that I might have been a newbie) for prying.

Kev

No one called you a bad guy except ArchivalGrading. Your questions were fair. He just didn't want to answer them is all. That is his right and people can view that refusal however they want. confused-smiley-013.gif

Very true that he doesn't have to answer those questions. However, my feeling is that the mod came in and attempted to protect Archival by claiming application of rules. Meanwhile the same policy is completely ignored for CGC. I made a post stating as such just now. I don't want the post over there deleted, but I just wanted to point out this obvious lack of consistency.

Brian

No one called you a bad guy except ArchivalGrading. Your questions were fair. He just didn't want to answer them is all. That is his right and people can view that refusal however they want.

True enough.

I thought it was pretty much done until the moderator stepped in after the fact, like I was suddenly breaking the board's rules or something.

Made me feel like I had done something wrong.

Kev

Very true that he doesn't have to answer those questions. However, my feeling is that the mod came in and attempted to protect Archival by claiming application of rules. Meanwhile the same policy is completely ignored for CGC. I made a post stating as such just now. I don't want the post over there deleted, but I just wanted to point out this obvious lack of consistency.

Brian

I think the Mod was just trying to stop a flame war. Archival clearly didn't want to answer the questions and the debate was getting away from the topic. Having said that, I felt the same way you did about Tom's intervention. But it's his board and he gets to make the rules. confused-smiley-013.gif

No one called you a bad guy except ArchivalGrading. Your questions were fair. He just didn't want to answer them is all. That is his right and people can view that refusal however they want.

True enough.

I thought it was pretty much done until the moderator stepped in after the fact, like I was suddenly breaking the board's rules or something.

Made me feel like I had done something wrong.

Kev

There is no rule against discussing companies or their practices. Tom only requested that you refrain because AG asked that you do so. If Steve Borock personally went over there and asked that CGC no longer be discussed, Tom would probably respect his wishes too...

Well I got my reply. I think we should all be glad that the moderators here are a much more friendly and leniant group than CBR's. Fortunately Arch doesn't come around parroting the rules over and over again.

Brian

There is no rule against discussing companies or their practices. Tom only requested that you refrain because AG asked that you do so. If Steve Borock personally went over there and asked that CGC no longer be discussed, Tom would probably respect his wishes too...

Um... ok.

Listen, I don't like that CBR moderators feel the need to actively involve themselves in debates when they aren't required. Dropping hints and reminders at the drop of a hat. So... simple enough, I don't feel the need to post there. I prefer my online discussions to be more fluid and open.

This fellow and I were in disagreement sure, and I was definitely digging (particularly the second time around) because I did think he's a bit of a hypocrite, so he pegged me correctly.

As far as I was concerned he was done, I was done. Then the mod makes it a different issue entirely.

If only politicians had moderators like that.

Kev

Why have you turned an informative thread about CGC grading, into a whine and biitch fest concerning your trials and tribulations with those big, tough CPG kids.

Go buy a backbone.

PS I don't bother you when you whine about stuff anymore.. like crashes and dealers you don't like.

Hey, if you want to whine, go right ahead, but START YOUR OWN FRICKING THREAD.

If your whining had anything remotely to do with CGC grading, it wouldn't be so bad.

This thread is actually about that thread at CBR, so I'm actually on topic when I whine about what happened at CBR.

Any logical discussion on CGC grading that developed in this thread was a side effect.

Since I don't have a problem with CGC grading, I don't need to whine about it.

Kev

This thread is actually about that thread at CBR, so I'm actually on topic when I whine about what happened at CBR.

Any logical discussion on CGC grading that developed in this thread was a side effect.

Kev

How do you feel about the "books damaged by banging around in the inner well" issue? 893scratchchin-thumb.gif That's the big issue that bothers me. It's not a grading issue, it's a storage issue.

Kev

How do you feel about the "books damaged by banging around in the inner well" issue? 893scratchchin-thumb.gif That's the big issue that bothers me. It's not a grading issue, it's a storage issue.

I thought that was fixed with the addition of the widget things that hold the books. The damage on books inside the well was on older books that did not have the widget. No?

It's a storage problem IMO. The same thing would happen in a mylar if you banged it around. People need to stop being dumb and take responsibility for care of their own books.

Brian

Kev

I thought that was fixed with the addition of the widget things that hold the books. The damage on books inside the well was on older books that did not have the widget. No?

No.

This is a corner from a 9.6 in a new holder. And no, the rest of the book is not perfect either. 893frustrated.gif

DSC01584.jpg

How did the corner straighten itself back out? I'm assuming that's what you're talking about there. If it is indeed straightened out, it must've been their prior to the slabbing?

Brian

How did the corner straighten itself back out? I'm assuming that's what you're talking about there. If it is indeed straightened out, it must've been their prior to the slabbing?

Brian

It's not bent and the thing you're seeing isn't an actual crease. It's just color flaking caused by that edge impacting the side of the well.

Here's another one on the lower right corner of a CGC 9.8. 893frustrated.gif

dd200llc.jpg

dd200full.jpg

That's too bad. I have something similar on my ASM 119 WM book. I have no doubt it'd still be a 9.4 if I opened it and straightened it out though. The fact that it is literally flawless except for the corner makes me wonder if it wasn't already there (speaking of my ASM 119, that is).

It's a storage problem, but after the defects happen then it becomes a grade problem. Because sometimes it effects the grade, if only people would be careful with their books. I don't know anyone that slams around books in mylars, why do it to books in CGC holders? frown.gif

Brian