• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Best way to READ TMNT v1 ?

25 posts in this topic

I'm starting my turtles collection and I'd like to read the first 1984 series, but my collectibles will primarily be encased in plastic.

What's the most efficient and cost effective way to do that? Is there a paperback compendium?

There's a lot of choices of mostly hard covers on Amazon and a lot of them don't do a good job describing the content.

IDW is republishing the original run issue for issue this coming year. That will probably be the easiest way to do it.

IDW is also publishing hard cover trades, but they are pretty fragmented as far as content goes.

And there are a number of Mirage trades, but they tend to not meet your "cost effective" requirement.

The IDW collection will skip a lot of stuff, but will contain what would be considered the meat of the story. It is a good value. I'm buying them

EDiT: wait a minute. They are reprinting something other than the collections they already started on?

If you're looking for just the classic Eastman & Laird stuff, know that you can substantially reduce the number of books you'll need to collect. I say this because the vast majority of people who want to read the comics for the first time want the stuff that was similar to the first live action movie.

For these, stick to issues 1-12, 13-15, 19-21, and 50-62. This will get you the classic Eastman and Laird stuff along with the origin of the TMNT, battles with the foot clan, and the legacy of the Shredder. Read all 5 1-shots as well and read them in the order the registry lists them in (check my sig for a link).

There are a lot of random stories in the first volume. Some are more entertaining than others. I'd personally say you should stick to the Eastman & Laird stuff to start off. If you like it, then go back and get the issues in the middle. Most are standalone and are limited to a 2-3 issue runs that don't relate to the main Eastman/Laird story in the slightest. However, there are some great stories in there. For example, issue #17 has some great character development of Michelangelo. Michael Zulli's Soul's winter run was great. Issue #43 had probably my favorite standalone story of the run.

If you try to read all the issues in the order they were released, you may lose patience and never get to issue 50 where it picks up and finishes strong. My 2c

If you're looking for just the classic Eastman & Laird stuff, know that you can substantially reduce the number of books you'll need to collect. I say this because the vast majority of people who want to read the comics for the first time want the stuff that was similar to the first live action movie.

For these, stick to issues 1-12, 13-15, 19-21, and 50-62. This will get you the classic Eastman and Laird stuff along with the origin of the TMNT, battles with the foot clan, and the legacy of the Shredder. Read all 5 1-shots as well and read them in the order the registry lists them in (check my sig for a link).

There are a lot of random stories in the first volume. Some are more entertaining than others. I'd personally say you should stick to the Eastman & Laird stuff to start off. If you like it, then go back and get the issues in the middle. Most are standalone and are limited to a 2-3 issue runs that don't relate to the main Eastman/Laird story in the slightest. However, there are some great stories in there. For example, issue #17 has some great character development of Michelangelo. Michael Zulli's Soul's winter run was great. Issue #43 had probably my favorite standalone story of the run.

If you try to read all the issues in the order they were released, you may lose patience and never get to issue 50 where it picks up and finishes strong. My 2c

My favorite non eastman/laird story was the one about the leech ( so far) :banana:

Issues 24-26 titled "The River" by Rick Veitch. (thumbs u

Cool read. The Leech's name was Bloodsucker. I'd definitely recommend it along with the Soul's Winter storyline, Dooney's 2-part time travel adventure in 46-47, and Farley's "Shades of Grey".

One of the worst things about Laird's sale to Nick was that they stopped publishing the comics to Wowio. :( I had a good number of (Free!) .pdf's from that site before they stopped uploading. Sadly, my laptop was stolen and there went the pdf's...

The Mirage website used to have full issues of v1 posted as well, but that appears to have been zapped when they went from MiragePublishing.com to MirageLicensing.com

EDiT: wait a minute. They are reprinting something other than the collections they already started on?

Yes. They are reprinting volume 1 in it's entirety, Issue for issue.

Digitally?

Floppy. Single Issue. Issue for issue. The entirety of volume 1.

Digitally?

When will this start? I might be interested in TMNT 1 10th print. :)

Digitally?

When will this start? I might be interested in TMNT 1 10th print. :)

Tentatively May 2nd.

Vol. 1 back in print, or did it never sell out? I thought I remembered those going for $80 not too long ago?

Maybe you're thinking of the last collection that Mirage printed before the sale?

http://www.amazon.com/COLLECTED-Teenage-Mutant-Ninja-Turtles/dp/0981949703

EDIT: image stolen from ebay

124663.jpg.2e6429395ff70d544ad625f6a36186e1.jpg

No I was thinking of the IDW hardcover. I could have sworn they were selling for $100 a pop two months back or so

That was the special edition Hardcover, and only because IDW royally up.

When they released the special edition hardcover (the cover is black and white), IDW marketed it as a Long Beach Comic Con Exclusive release. At the end of the show, they told convention goers (and a number of people over e-mail) that they had sold out of the book.

For about two weeks after the release, the sales for that book on ebay were cresting $200, and people thought the book was sold out.

Turns out none of that was true.

Suddenly, two weeks after the convention, IDW started selling the "LBCC Exclusive" book on their website (where it is still available). Not only was it not Con exclusive, but they hadn't sold out of the book by a long shot. This pissed off a lot of people (particularly those of us who went to LBCC specifically for that book, or who paid the $200 price tag after the close of the event).

So yes, the limited collection volume 1 was selling for $200+ a couple months ago...but not anymore, as you can buy it on the IDW site for retail price.

Issues 24-26 titled "The River" by Rick Veitch. (thumbs u

Cool read. The Leech's name was Bloodsucker. I'd definitely recommend it along with the Soul's Winter storyline, Dooney's 2-part time travel adventure in 46-47, and Farley's "Shades of Grey".

+1!