• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Comic Spinner Racks
1 1

204 posts in this topic

5 hours ago, comicwiz said:

Nice! The fellow I got mine from had apparently another. I have the stand-up easel with Best in Comics only, so when I saw this one with the two different signs, I needed to get it for my Hey Kids Comics run of racks

IMG_20210607_0956499 (1).jpg

Those are great! A few more and you can have an entire newsstand from the past!

18 hours ago, bronze johnny said:

Those are great! A few more and you can have an entire newsstand from the past!

I enjoy collecting these, and learning about their history as they represent one of the earliest timeline points of comic distribution. At one time,, I had half a dozen out in local shops on loan basis to sell comics through, and it was a great selling model for clearing out inventory, but one of the shops got dangerously close to shutting down with the landlord changing the locks, and after that experience, I got everything back. Even though I have more than I can properly display at the moment, I just enjoy looking at them and it's about as close as I'll get to being a kid again.

19 minutes ago, comicwiz said:

I enjoy collecting these, and learning about their history as they represent one of the earliest timeline points of comic distribution. At one time,, I had half a dozen out in local shops on loan basis to sell comics through, and it was a great selling model for clearing out inventory, but one of the shops got dangerously close to shutting down with the landlord changing the locks, and after that experience, I got everything back. Even though I have more than I can properly display at the moment, I just enjoy looking at them and it's about as close as I'll get to being a kid again.

I enjoy seeing the photos and can only imagine how awesome it must be to see in person. It’s a time machine! It’s really amazing what you accomplished as a collector!

2 hours ago, bronze johnny said:

I enjoy seeing the photos and can only imagine how awesome it must be to see in person. It’s a time machine! It’s really amazing what you accomplished as a collector!

Thanks man! I feel that living in Canada has been one of the biggest setbacks in owning more than what I have, but I'm not complaining because I'm grateful for what I've been able to acquire. I'd easily have three times the displays by now if I was located in the US. Before buying this Best in Comics rack, I went through 8 years of not finding a single one locally, and in the space of the last two months I've added 4 and have a 5th on it's way. A lot of this has to do with finding sellers willing to ship, I've lost count on how many I lost in the last 20 years because the seller refused to ship.

I'd also highly recommend that anyone looking to add one look through as much examples of that rack as possible. I've also started a group on FB where I hope to chronicle their history and use (I've added a link in my sig to the group if anyone wants to join). I recently saw someone trying to sell a publisher rack where the header was added to a generic bookstore rack (likely for magazine sized literature) that was never even meant to hold comics, and certainly doesn't fit the era or application of the header that was mounted to it. One of my FB friends messaged me to give me a heads up in case I wanted it, but I took one look and knew it was not right. If anyone has any doubts on any racks they are looking at buying, feel free to PM me anytime, I'd be glad to help at least by offering an opinion. I'm not really too bothered by the repurposing, but given what some of these have been fetching, proper disclosure doesn't hurt and collectors should be made aware when they are cobbled together in this manner.

Here's a pic of the above-mentioned publisher rack that isn't right in case anyone wants to see it for reference.

image.png.c8da33719d98a477586fe6e4b253990e.png

Edited by comicwiz