• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Comic Spinner Racks
1 1

204 posts in this topic

There is a guy on Craigslist in my area who has want advertisements everywhere. I emailed him to see if he'd had any offers. He said he's still looking and that he's been looking for like 2 years!

It's always good to find out how much your competition is willing to pay. There's a guy local to me whose also been looking for close to 3 years, but he's only wanting to pay $100 tops.

The problem is most of the vintage comic racks I'm seeing pop-up are $150 and up (one guy in Ottawa is standing firm on a HEY KIDS COMICS! version for $300, and the ads been running for over 6 months).

So buddy's probably going to still be looking 5 years from now. lol

At least you're finding them and have a shot. I saw one in an antique mall. It was full of drek. Contacted the buyer. He gets tons of questions about that, but it's NFS.

I picked up a map display spinner rack a few pages back and am customizing it. Not ideal, but I like how it's turning out. And, I "found" it which is more fun. I'd still rather find a real comic spinner rack, but who knows if that'll happen.

I found mine (supes/spidey/archie, white top 4 sider) through Craigslist. I always search in my area, and the two cities north and south. It took 2 years, but I got mine for $80. They come up from time to time. Bad thing about finding them at antique malls and antique shows is that they are always used to sell drek. Last guy I talked to says he averages about 100 bucks a month in drek sales off his rack (antique show, 1st Monday in Canton, TX). So I understand why they don't sell the spinners.

I found mine (supes/spidey/archie, white top 4 sider) through Craigslist. I always search in my area, and the two cities north and south. It took 2 years, but I got mine for $80. They come up from time to time. Bad thing about finding them at antique malls and antique shows is that they are always used to sell drek. Last guy I talked to says he averages about 100 bucks a month in drek sales off his rack (antique show, 1st Monday in Canton, TX). So I understand why they don't sell the spinners.

Blind them with nostalgia, and sell the drek! Brilliant!

Pretty much what I've been doing, except for the drek part because you can kiss the model of repeat customers good-bye if you don't supply them with good material.

And the reason why I'll never sell mine. (thumbs u

I've used mine (Hey Kids! Comics!) at several shows in the Midwest, selling dollar books or $5 books with great success.

It always involves a bit of chat while I explain that I thought HARD before deciding not to oil it.

The OVERWHELMING consensus is that the squeak is an integral part of the spinner rack, lol LOL

:headbang:

That's what's referred to as a standalone rack, and I've never seen another one like that particular one. The tin signs on each pocket of the great GA titles is :cloud9:

Is that from a bookstore, like Borders or Barnes and Noble?

No, someone had it in their home. I was at the person's house checking out toys and comics that they were selling when I noticed the rack. I asked if it was for sale, and sure enough it was. When the person told me they only wanted $10 for the spinner I almost fainted.

Picked one up a few yrs ago in 'Bama with the intention of using it but now in the garage; took a few pics with some of my fave books though. Didn't sell at the last garage sale so if anyone is around the NE FL is looking for one, drop me a PM.

Thanks to the boardies for the great pics and stories.

<a  href=cdfc4317-deb1-4c6f-aec0-94b33d462e45_zps

Bump since I just missed out on a decent one within an hour drive on Craigslist for $100, but I'll keep on looking...

Looks like the eBay price is normalizing around $300, even for the 70's/80's era stands...

Is this a custom?

comicrack_zpsd82f25e9.jpg

I'd seen that tin topper for a standalone rack (like the one in the image) some years back. The tin sign was in rough shape though, otherwise I would have bought it. I don't think it's a custom, but it's in such incredible condition that it makes me wonder if it's been restored.