• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Comic book collecting with a foreign variant focus
19 19

4,891 posts in this topic

Post after post with great books. How impressive a sight it would be if all of the foreign collectors here on the boards got together and displayed our collections at a con? I'm sure there would be a lot of people that simply wouldn't care but imagine walking through a dealer room with nothing but foreign editions on the wall of every booth. :cloud9:

Can't say I've ever seen anything like that before....

Neither I, before finding them. Only in 1947 the same publisher, Edizioni Milano, would have published Superman and Batman on the tabloid-sized journal "Urrà".

Uomo-dAcciaio-su-Urrà.jpg

This is a picture (provided by Marcello Vaccari) of the issues of the same publication I posted in the previous page, featuring the very first italian appearances of Batman and Green Lantern:

Batman-Ala-dAcciaio.jpg

Edited by vaillant

MOAR!!!!!!

NewMutantas87.jpg

GiantSize1.jpg

WDcovers.jpg

Freakin love these! I need to look for that Spanish 1st Cable soon.... (thumbs u

Post after post with great books. How impressive a sight it would be if all of the foreign collectors here on the boards got together and displayed our collections at a con? I'm sure there would be a lot of people that simply wouldn't care but imagine walking through a dealer room with nothing but foreign editions on the wall of every booth.

Cool idea! (thumbs u

I had an idea of created a foreign variant panel…. I had even went so far as come up with a outline of subjects to talk about…. Like rarity, bias, values, cultural issues, weird quirks, cool slideshow showing scans of important or rare books and the like.

I think it would be cool to have intelligent, well informed foreign panel guests like D Salupa and others to talk about the niche. Guess what? I floated the idea and sent an email to the ABQ Expo guys about it and they didn’t even respond…. Guess they didn’t think there would be to many people joining it! (shrug) How funny, you have a foreign variant panel and there are more panelists than people checking it out… lol

Great books guys! Keep them coming…..

Edited by Define999

I have never shown these puppies off before..so I am going to assume that these are all the foreign variants that exist. The last one is at CGC, sorry for the cr@ppy pics......ASM 298 around :

ASM298.png

EwanUK, you got some cool cool stuff

...and I've posted this before

Nature Boy no.3 1956 - already an obscure Charlton - but I've managed to find 3 other foreign variants

USA, Australian, British & Mexican (as "Doll Man")

dMay10042x.jpg

Sir, I like your style! (thumbs u

A Charlton character rechristened "Doll Man" (and with a mimicked Doll Man logo) is quite weird. And in Mexico… Does the issue contain some Quality Doll Man material or they were just daydreaming… lol

Just odd. :)

It wasn't dollman..it was under the dollman title, I remember seeing dollman 1

I have never shown these puppies off before..so I am going to assume that these are all the foreign variants that exist. The last one is at CGC, sorry for the cr@ppy pics......ASM 298 around :

ASM298.png

:applause: Very nice sir!
:acclaim:

Loving my "run".... lol

A Charlton character rechristened "Doll Man" (and with a mimicked Doll Man logo) is quite weird. And in Mexico… Does the issue contain some Quality Doll Man material or they were just daydreaming… lol

Just odd. :)

It wasn't dollman..it was under the dollman title, I remember seeing dollman 1

Yes, that was what I was asking, if it was an odd mixup or rather the mexican publisher mixing two different publishers' characters in the same title, thanks. (thumbs u

EwanUK, you got some cool cool stuff
...and I've posted this before

Nature Boy no.3 1956 - already an obscure Charlton - but I've managed to find 3 other foreign variants

USA, Australian, British & Mexican (as "Doll Man")

dMay10042x.jpg

Sir, I like your style! (thumbs u

Man those are freakin cool! Just like with American Golden age stuff, population numbers are small compared to bronze or later..... foreign golden age has had soo much time to fall into obscurity, destruction, or unavailability..... well to find multiple copies for a key based issue collection has got to be amazingly tough! (thumbs u

Edited by Define999

ASM298.png

You the man Hector! :applause: I like the gradient background ones like the Polish, Hungarian etc...

How long did this collection take to gather? Is it finished? Is there a Yugoslav one possibly? hm

Edited by Define999

ASM298.png

You the man Hector! :applause: I like the gradient background ones like the Polish, Hungarian etc...

How long did this collection take to gather? Is it finished? Is there a Yugoslav one possibly? hm

Yugoslavic ones ended like in mid 200 then they picked up years later on the late 400s..I think, but please don't quote me though. This set, I think is finished, but you know how this game is....you're anoly finished until another edition surfaces...

It's too bad there's no definitive resource for what's actually out there. Grand Comics Database has a lot of gaps when it comes to foreign editions. Is there a better resource for looking up information that you guys use?

Nope, GCD is as good as it gets for english speaking collectors. The trick is finding foreign database's... databases for foreign books that we know about are Brazilian, Mexican, Dutch, French, Greek, Italian I believe.... and some others...

The real trick would be combining them somehow. Liaton and I have talked about a need for a site that gives you all the known foreign variant editions for a specific issue. When you get into the site you specify which country you are from and your countries publishing history lies before you and any issue you pick will then show the subseqent issues variants.

Comiccollectorlive does somthing similar I think, where it shows all known variants for a issue but its database is determined by its collectors I think? hm So there are not many foreigns it it......

All very interesting... (thumbs u

Also GCD sometimes will not show search strings if you do not know the exact name in the foreign langauge... for example say you search for Batman, it shows you all the Batman that is in its search string... some from different countries... but it wont show all of them... for instance Swedish Batman is called Laderlappen! Those issues might not show up in GCD search strings unless you specificaly search for Laderlappen! So there are also ways to find runs in GCD that you didnt know were there by using the exact language.... (thumbs u

Edited by Define999

It's too bad there's no definitive resource for what's actually out there. Grand Comics Database has a lot of gaps when it comes to foreign editions. Is there a better resource for looking up information that you guys use?

Nope, GCD is as good as it gets for english speaking collectors. The trick is finding foreign database's... databases for foreign books that we know about are Brazilian, Mexican, Dutch, French, Greek, Italian I believe.... and some others...

The real trick would be combining them somehow.

That would be a massive undertaking..even one title would be a hell of a challenge, even two or thee countries for one title..let alone a whole Foreign database.... :eek: