• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Comic book collecting with a foreign variant focus
19 19

4,891 posts in this topic

Here is one I wanted to show you:

Thor140_CGCSS98_Italian.gif

This is Thor #140 Italian version (Panini comics) variant cover signed by Gabriele Dell'Otto.

This is one of the best Thor cover I see! :)

Forgot to tell ya Erik! I agree that cover is bad-!

It's too bad there's no definitive resource for what's actually out there. Grand Comics Database has a lot of gaps when it comes to foreign editions. Is there a better resource for looking up information that you guys use?

Nope, GCD is as good as it gets for english speaking collectors. The trick is finding foreign database's... databases for foreign books that we know about are Brazilian, Mexican, Dutch, French, Greek, Italian I believe.... and some others...

The real trick would be combining them somehow.

That would be a massive undertaking..even one title would be a hell of a challenge, even two or thee countries for one title..let alone a whole Foreign database.... :eek:

Yea, would be crazy immense! :o The thing is GCD with some re-working could do somthing like this maybe? I dont know if it would take some tweaking of the database, or a complete overhaul? A programmer would have to chime in.... and it would take manually imputing the variants for each issue... maybe not every issue but only keys? Or some way the community at large could input this info and make the connections... currently I think you can make updates to the database as a member like indecia/scans/story notes and stuff? hm

I think the Italian site hosts just the Editoriale Corno run.

The Italian situation should be more or less as follows, if it can be handy:

Milano Libri: 1966-67 (published FF#1 and #5 in two supplements of the magazine Linus).

Le Maschere: 1966 (published early Sgt. Fury episodes, 13 issues).

Editoriale Corno: 1970-1983

Labor Comics: 1985-1986 (just a pair of issues, with X-Men, some graphic novels, like "God loves, man kills" and Epic material).

Star Comics: 1987-1994

Play Press: 1987-1994

Comic Art: 1989-1994

Marvel Italia (as a subsidiary of Marvel Comics): 1994-1996

Marvel Italia (as a Panini Comics imprint): 1996-current.

As you can see, between 1987 and 1994, until Marvel Comics finally decided to pick up the situation by itself, the Marvel universe titles were shared between three different publishers, with time lags you can just imagine: material from 1979-1989 started to appear simultaneously, putting italian readers into great confusion.

Here on Wikipedia there‘s a brief story of Marvel in Italy:

http://it.wikipedia.org/wiki/Marvel_Italia

Don’t know about the accuracy of the early information, however.

I think the Italian site hosts just the Editoriale Corno run.

The Italian situation should be more or less as follows, if it can be handy:

Milano Libri: 1966-67 (published FF#1 and #5 in two supplements of the magazine Linus).

Le Maschere: 1966 (published early Sgt. Fury episodes, 13 issues).

Editoriale Corno: 1970-1983

Labor Comics: 1985-1986 (just a pair of issues, with X-Men, some graphic novels, like "God loves, man kills" and Epic material).

Star Comics: 1987-1994

Play Press: 1987-1994

Comic Art: 1989-1994

Marvel Italia (as a subsidiary of Marvel Comics): 1994-1996

Marvel Italia (as a Panini Comics imprint): 1996-current.

As you can see, between 1987 and 1994, until Marvel Comics finally decided to pick up the situation by itself, the Marvel universe titles were shared between three different publishers, with time lags you can just imagine: material from 1979-1989 started to appear simultaneously, putting italian readers into great confusion.

Here on Wikipedia there‘s a brief story of Marvel in Italy:

http://it.wikipedia.org/wiki/Marvel_Italia

Don’t know about the accuracy of the early information, however.

Nice! Thanks Vaillant! (thumbs u

Crazy how the chronological order of the Marvel universe got so wacked out for Italian readers.... I am sure it turned off some of you guys over there. Its sad Marvels licensing dept. didnt have a more "quality control" mindset as far as the timeline goes.... (shrug) According to articles I have read about licensing at Marvel all they really cared about was that the checks cashed....

In Mexico.. The Spidermex site features everything there is from Spiderman and links everything in Spanish titles through blogs and individual collections.

This is the go-to site for researching Mexican Spiderman! (thumbs u And a great example of how you can show an issue and all related variants that go with it!

http://spidermex.com/detalle.php?edi=usa&cve=asm&num=129

Now if only GCD could do somthing similar? hm

In Mexico.. The Spidermex site features everything there is from Spiderman and links everything in Spanish titles through blogs and individual collections.

This is the go-to site for researching Mexican Spiderman! (thumbs u And a great example of how you can show an issue and all related variants that go with it!

http://spidermex.com/detalle.php?edi=usa&cve=asm&num=129

Now if only GCD could do somthing similar? hm

It was a few people that got to together to do that, it took them years..years. I am not being pessimistic, just saying it would be a difficult job getting something off the ground; and for the books to be found would be yet another big task....finding books from Netherlands maybe not so much, but China, Croatia, India, Africa, India..well, their books and those scan would be a bit more tricky to organize.

Said this, you’ve very likely paid more for shipping than for the book. lol

I paid €4 for shipping, so I don't think I did too badly for €5 overall, with shipping from Italy :baiting:

Surely not, I was just saying in these cases shipping costs have an enormous weight on the final price. When I purchase from the US, I try always to add books or something to combine shipping. :)

Very true. This was one of those impulse buys .. Great price, coupled with one of my favourite Byrne covers, on a Cap title ... I couldn't resist it :applause:

Well, if they managed to do the I.N.D.U.C.K.S.,

http://coa.inducks.org/index.php

with all the flaws and lacks it can have, there may be a possibility… :-)

However, from my viewpoint, the main problem is the lack of consistency, vision, and coherence which Marvel has been gradually showing more and more over the years. Without an effective, substantial "continuity" (which is not merely chronological) it’s a dead end task to put together such a database. Luckily, Disney characters can be "hacked", but it‘s easy to wash away and undo, and the learned Disney fan can discern the good from the bad. Stirctly speaking, there is no "continuity" in the Marvel sense.

EwanUK, you got some cool cool stuff
...and I've posted this before

Nature Boy no.3 1956 - already an obscure Charlton - but I've managed to find 3 other foreign variants

USA, Australian, British & Mexican (as "Doll Man")

dMay10042x.jpg

Sir, I like your style! (thumbs u

Man those are freakin cool! Just like with American Golden age stuff, population numbers are small compared to bronze or later..... foreign golden age has had soo much time to fall into obscurity, destruction, or unavailability..... well to find multiple copies for a key based issue collection has got to be amazingly tough! (thumbs u

thank you - it was almost accidental how I found them

as has been mentioned, many areas of foreign comics are very poorly indexed, including a lot of British "reprints"

Here's a comic I've picked up recently... another Golden Age variant

i've never seen such a rare item in such amazing condition - beautiful

British L Miller 1950s

can anyone confirm what this reprints please?

HumanTorch2.jpg

HumanTorch2rear.jpg

Questions please:

How do I get to use Brazillian ebay?

I'm obviously already a UK ebay user...

Do I need to register?

Does it use paypal?

Are people uk to communicate through translation software?

any tips would be appreciated :)

Awesome books. Mercado Libre was a joint venture between all the lating american countries, I have bought from a bunch, to include Brazil, even for some people here on the boards. But as of a few months ago, not sure how long ago to be exact, they stopped selling to those that don't have an address in Brazil.

Awesome books. Mercado Libre was a joint venture between all the lating american countries, I have bought from a bunch, to include Brazil, even for some people here on the boards. But as of a few months ago, not sure how long ago to be exact, they stopped selling to those that don't have an address in Brazil.
It doesn't seem to make a whole lot of sense to exclude your service from a global market. (shrug)

It doesn't seem to make a whole lot of sense to exclude your service from a global market. (shrug)

I agree it makes no sense... (shrug) but currently the only way to get books out of Brazil that I know of is to have a Brazilian contact.....

The importance of building and maintaining contacts in the foreign variant game cannot be understated.

I agree it makes no sense... (shrug) but currently the only way to get books out of Brazil that I know of is to have a Brazilian contact.....

The importance of building and maintaining contacts in the foreign variant game cannot be understated.

There's at least one seller from Brazil on ebay (US) that I've bought some books from in the past. Now if we can just figure out some way to inform the sellers on MercadoLibre that there's a market for their comics on ebay here in the States maybe we'd see some more Brazilian sellers pop up. hm