• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Comic book collecting with a foreign variant focus
19 19

4,891 posts in this topic

You can’t even guess how imaginative seller can be in auction titles.

If you try to deliberately mispell most titles, you can end up with interesting results. Once I won an auction because it went largely unnoticed (italian comics).

I once saw an auction that was finalized as a "mexican batman"....it was a french Batman 251...and have not seen it since....

I hadn't thought of purposefully misspelling stuff Vaillant? doh!

Hector, I have seen this also.... from time to time. :gossip:

Beautiful Avengers French Heritage books Eerie!!! I was wonderin… was there a nice selection of French Canadian variants at the Montreal show? hm

Got this one of ebay for $2.50, I though it would look good next to my Mighty World of Marvel #198.

th_IncredibleHulk180Canada_zps8f8d33fa.jpgth_MightyWorldofMarvel198.jpg

Hey dude, I got a super beat up Mexican copy of Hulk 180-181...you can have it for free.....you just need to remind me....seriously, you need to remind me..

BTW mn, you have incredible luck, like crazy good luck finding specific comics, at the right time, for pennies (practically). When I was looking for my that copy, I was going nuts trying to find it....timing, sometimes, its all timing.. hm

You're not the only one to tell me I've got outstanding luck finding stuff. Define999 mentioned that during one of our first conversations (via PM) when I told him I had just started collecting foreign editions and two of the first books I came across were the Novaro Batman #227 and House of Secrets #92. Hopefully my dumb luck will hold out for a while longer. lol

Yes LSC! You have to be one of the luckiest bastards I know! Poor Hector and I spend months to forever looking for specific books and BAM you have them like its nothing at dirt cheap prices! Either you have the darndest luck, or you sold your soul for foreign variant gold… I am starting to think the latter… lol

For instance.. I have Ebay daily alerts for “La Prensa” “Mexican comics” “Novaro” etc… how the hell did LSC’s recent FF La Prensa win miss my radar? Well the seller called it Spanish Fantastic four comic or something like that… La Prensa never hit the listing, which in most cases La Prensa always will bring it up on the alerts.

The luck of this guy is mind blowing….. I think I need the devils digits LSC? I got something he might want to trade for….. :devil:

BTW nice French first Wolvie LSC! :cloud9:

And you know I am just bustin your balls.. I am glad we got ya on our side! (thumbs u

Bust away sir. (thumbs u If I ever post anything you're interested in all you have to do is shoot me a PM. A lot of the time I'll grab stuff just on the off chance I can get it cheap and it works in my favor quite often. Unless it's an Adams or Wrightson book I can probably be persuaded to part with it but with those you guys will have to wait until I'm dead and my fiancee (hopefully wife by then lol ) is selling those off. There might be a few exceptions other than that but not too many. I try to keep my collection pretty streamlined. I'm willing to sell stuff for what I've got into it and am always open to trades.

Beautiful Avengers French Heritage books Eerie!!! I was wonderin… was there a nice selection of French Canadian variants at the Montreal show? hm

Got this one of ebay for $2.50, I though it would look good next to my Mighty World of Marvel #198.

th_IncredibleHulk180Canada_zps8f8d33fa.jpgth_MightyWorldofMarvel198.jpg

Hey dude, I got a super beat up Mexican copy of Hulk 180-181...you can have it for free.....you just need to remind me....seriously, you need to remind me..

BTW mn, you have incredible luck, like crazy good luck finding specific comics, at the right time, for pennies (practically). When I was looking for my that copy, I was going nuts trying to find it....timing, sometimes, its all timing.. hm

You're not the only one to tell me I've got outstanding luck finding stuff. Define999 mentioned that during one of our first conversations (via PM) when I told him I had just started collecting foreign editions and two of the first books I came across were the Novaro Batman #227 and House of Secrets #92. Hopefully my dumb luck will hold out for a while longer. lol

Yes LSC! You have to be one of the luckiest bastards I know! Poor Hector and I spend months to forever looking for specific books and BAM you have them like its nothing at dirt cheap prices! Either you have the darndest luck, or you sold your soul for foreign variant gold… I am starting to think the latter… lol

For instance.. I have Ebay daily alerts for “La Prensa” “Mexican comics” “Novaro” etc… how the hell did LSC’s recent FF La Prensa win miss my radar? Well the seller called it Spanish Fantastic four comic or something like that… La Prensa never hit the listing, which in most cases La Prensa always will bring it up on the alerts.

The luck of this guy is mind blowing….. I think I need the devils digits LSC? I got something he might want to trade for….. :devil:

BTW nice French first Wolvie LSC! :cloud9:

And you know I am just bustin your balls.. I am glad we got ya on our side! (thumbs u

Bust away sir. (thumbs u If I ever post anything you're interested in all you have to do is shoot me a PM. A lot of the time I'll grab stuff just on the off chance I can get it cheap and it works in my favor quite often. Unless it's an Adams or Wrightson book I can probably be persuaded to part with it but with those you guys will have to wait until I'm dead and my fiancee (hopefully wife by then lol ) is selling those off. There might be a few exceptions other than that but not too many. I try to keep my collection pretty streamlined. I'm willing to sell stuff for what I've got into it and am always open to trades.

Thanks man… will do! Congrats on the fiancé thing… happy for ya! Its always exciting to move onto the next step in a relationship. Some here probably have worse stories than me but I would never trade my wife for nuthin… and she gave me 2 amazing kids! (thumbs u

I promise I will not even look at your Adams and Wrightson books... lol

Ok, something a little different today….. DC comics got involved with UNICEF to promote landmine awareness overseas in conflict areas. These are not foreign variants per say but comic books created for psy-ops in other countries. The hope was that thru Superman and free comics books the amount of children and others being victimized by landmines would drop. The Cryllic one was for the Balkans and the Spanish one was for conflict areas in South America. The very altruistic nature combined with the cool “psy-ops” aspect made these books very neat to me! I had to have them….

UNICEF_Superman_landmine_awarenescomic_zps7c38edff.jpg

Notice the long skirt on Wonder Woman! How crazy that culturally that needed to be done. The article link below discusses print runs/versions and some types are more rare than others. Interesting enough the English versions had smaller print runs which makes sense since these books were not really meant for English speaking audiences. I still think though that even with large print runs many of these comics probably did not survive the horrible war scarred environments they were released into. You can find them on Ebay with differing frequency so by no means are they extremely rare but a very curious psychological artifact of modern warfare.

Interested in more information on these? Find it here…..

http://www.psywarrior.com/MineawarenessHerb.html

Oh yea.... :gossip: FOrgot about this part of the article....

I was the Chief of Information in Sarajevo Bosnia at the United Nations Mine Action Centre for 18 months (1997-98). The comic book was brought there by US forces (KFOR) with the intent to win hearts and minds. As a group, we determined that Superman (the comic) gave the wrong messages. (1) If you find yourself in a mined area, Superman will fly in and save you. (2) Retrace your foot steps out of a minefield. It was the decision of the Mine Awareness Working Group that the Superman comic gave the wrong messages, and it was stopped from further distribution. It was never field-tested to see if it was suitable!

Could this mean many of the Cryllic ones were never handed out and destroyed? Or were they kept by soldiers as keepsakes? Ummmmm..... hm

Edited by Define999

I saw about 10 long boxes of EH from 4-5 vendors. Low grade and more commun stuff (except for Les Vengeurs). # 2 and 4 have newspaper cover, very hard to find in high grade. They are also Magazine size

I saw about 10 long boxes of EH from 4-5 vendors. Low grade and more commun stuff (except for Les Vengeurs). # 2 and 4 have newspaper cover, very hard to find in high grade. They are also Magazine size

Yea I had heard about the early books being newspaper covers! Geeze… not cool man! I am surprised there wasn’t more to comb through. So its safe to say even in Canada these can be difficult to find, especially the earlier ones… God I wish someone would just translate that French Heritage bible book…. Very interesting, thanks!

Yea I had heard about the early books being newspaper covers! Geeze… not cool man! I am surprised there wasn’t more to comb through. So its safe to say even in Canada these can be difficult to find, especially the earlier ones… God I wish someone would just translate that French Heritage bible book…. Very interesting, thanks!

hm Being fluent in both French and English, that would be an interesting project... hm

I just got these in yesterday from Hector (Chespirito) they're part of a trade we worked out.

th_AmazingFantasy15Greece1_zpsb4c3058a.jpgth_AmazingFantasy15Greece2_zpsfcd8e506.jpg

Absolutely stunning LSC! These are amazing.... ahhh I see they are the same cover but numbered out of sequence! must be a second print during the run.... hm Its little things like this that make the Greek books so interesting to collect, not to mention rarer than an amish preacher at a strip club.... (thumbs u

Edited by Define999

hm Being fluent in both French and English, that would be an interesting project... hm

You can kinda get around this I guess By going to Erik B's site

http://www.comicsheritage.ca/evaluation_prix.htm

and then using a broswer's translation software.... (shrug) But I don't think it would be as good compared to what a speaker fluent in both languages could do...

Damn smartass kids/Canadians. :baiting:

lol

Hi

No, I found then two Caps in a book "Nostalgia About Comics" (copies on ebay) - i thought from memory they're the British L Miller ones - but no - they are Australian variants! but yes, both from the 1950s (I don't have them)

the 2nd is the rear cover of this... British 1960s

Terrific3_zps2e6f5bdc.jpg