• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Comic book collecting with a foreign variant focus
19 19

4,886 posts in this topic

my greetings to you Mister Gustavo Medina...it is an honor to have the oportunity to talk to you...hi from the beautiful Buenos Aires !!!! :applause:

Hello, Gonza_Araña! The honor is all mine and I think very fondly of Argentina since many of my Novaro variants have come to me via sellers in your beautiful country! :applause: :applause:

My very first Novaro variant came from The Land of the Pampas and the seller was incredibly nice and helpful!

Un abrazo!

00_zps531922c9.jpg

I think I've got one of those somewhere but some guy wrote his name on the cover and it's in this weird plastic case. hm

my greetings to you Mister Gustavo Medina...it is an honor to have the oportunity to talk to you...hi from the beautiful Buenos Aires !!!! :applause:

Hello, Gonza_Araña! The honor is all mine and I think very fondly of Argentina since many of my Novaro variants have come to me via sellers in your beautiful country! :applause: :applause:

My very first Novaro variant came from The Land of the Pampas and the seller was incredibly nice and helpful!

Un abrazo!

I think I've got one of those somewhere but some guy wrote his name on the cover and it's in this weird plastic case. hm

I´ll buy the weird plastic case if the initials are N.A. :)

SupesVolII_6VidCinco2_zpsf440f10b.jpg

Superman Vol. II issue 6 Mexican Vid and Colombian Cinco variants.

supesproductionart_zps10f9913d.jpg

Production artwork touchup where a single panel in the original story would be blown up to fill an entire page.

SupesVidCovers_zpsdfe0f173.png

All of these had similar production artwork retraced by yours truly and turned into full pagers. Superman Vol. II number 1 was also translated by me. (Thumbnail images are taken from bauldelcomic.com)

Un abrazo!

I´ll buy the weird plastic case if the initials are N.A. :)

They might be... but I don't think I'd really want to sell it.

th_DetectiveComics395Mexico.jpg

SupesVolII_6VidCinco2_zpsf440f10b.jpg

Superman Vol. II issue 6 Mexican Vid and Colombian Cinco variants.

Production artwork touchup where a single panel in the original story would be blown up to fill an entire page.

All of these had similar production artwork retraced by yours truly and turned into full pagers. Superman Vol. II number 1 was also translated by me. (Thumbnail images are taken from bauldelcomic.com)

:o I own two of those!

Edited by Liaton-9000

:o I own two of those!

Let´s play a game, Liam:

Since Vid didn´t initially credit translators or production workers, I got cute and decided to include hidden initials to my full name (Gustavo Medina Gutierrez or GMG) scattered in all the one pagers I retraced in Superman and Batman. Can you find them? There´s a couple of them in the gun the bad guy is holding in the illo above. You may have to flip the page, though.

In the Death in Family TPB there is one hidden in plain sight. I did the paste-up for the Gotham Gazette and added the letters IA to the word AMBULANCIA in the panel on the right. :)

InitialsDeathIntheFamily2_zpsd3c267c2.jpg

DeathIntheFam12_zps4b7676f6.jpg

This came in yesterday from Arequipa, Peru...

001wrb.jpg

The 'El Tony' series from Columba is my favourite among the international editions, they have it all - cool covers, vibrant colors and stunning page quality for nearly 40 year old paper. I now own 17 of the 38 issues, it will be a tough task to get the series complete, some of the earlier issues are very rare.

Gustavo, what do you mean by "retraced"?

Comics at that time were 17 or 18 pages and Vid wanted to fill the 32 page quota that Novaro used to offer. They did not want to include an extra filler story, so they would take a single panel of any given page and then blow it up to fill an entire page. This was initially done by photographic means and the end result was disastrous as the quality of the line would look terrible.

I told the editor that I could trace (or retrace) the drawing in pencil and then ink it to give it a better line quality. And, Lo and behold! He agreed!

Comics at that time were 17 or 18 pages and Vid wanted to fill the 32 page quota that Novaro used to offer. They did not want to include an extra filler story, so they would take a single panel of any given page and then blow it up to fill an entire page. This was initially done by photographic means and the end result was disastrous as the quality of the line would look terrible.

I told the editor that I could trace (or retrace) the drawing in pencil and then ink it to give it a better line quality. And, Lo and behold! He agreed!

Wow, you did a heck of a work! :o

But if the original line art was good, by photographic means it shouldn’t have been so bad. Maybe they were very little panels?

Wow, you did a heck of a work! :o

But if the original line art was good, by photographic means it shouldn’t have been so bad. Maybe they were very little panels?

I´m glad you like it. The fact that the editor gave me a chance to do those tracing of my favorite artists was the highlight of my carreer in the Mexican comic industry. I got to trace drawings by John Byrne and David Mazzucchelli and would really pour my heart in the endeavour. And yes, you are right, the original panels the editor chose were very small and once blown up, even by photographic means, they would look dreadful. I´ll post some pictures shortly.

I posted this way back in this thread, but with the 1:200 Ditko, ASM 700 variant hitting the US stands last month, I thought this would be a good time to post it again

As far as I know, up until last month I was able to say that I owned the only comic in the world that had the rejected Ditko cover for AF 15 as a cover.

I really liked the sound of that :(

Printed in 1983, it was the first spider-man issue from Distri Editors, from a very small run of 10 issues.

It prints AF 15+ a Bonus Story of Strange tales 115

Distri1-aranhaphotobucket.jpg

I posted this way back in this thread, but with the 1:200 Ditko, ASM 700 variant hitting the US stands last month, I thought this would be a good time to post it again

As far as I know, up until last month I was able to say that I owned the only comic in the world that had the rejected Ditko cover for AF 15 as a cover.

I really liked the sound of that :(

Printed in 1983, it was the first spider-man issue from Distri Editors, from a very small run of 10 issues.

It prints AF 15+ a Bonus Story of Strange tales 115

Distri1-aranhaphotobucket.jpg

IMO a much better investment than the ASM #700 variant.

This came in yesterday from Arequipa, Peru...

001wrb.jpg

The 'El Tony' series from Columba is my favourite among the international editions, they have it all - cool covers, vibrant colors and stunning page quality for nearly 40 year old paper. I now own 17 of the 38 issues, it will be a tough task to get the series complete, some of the earlier issues are very rare.

I love the look of these "Tony" editions! (thumbs u