• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Comic book collecting with a foreign variant focus
19 19

4,891 posts in this topic

Honestly, its a comparisions that quite chills my blood lol but will do. BTW, a thing is not necessarily valuable because its rare or considered collectible.

I read that a few years back Nicolas Cage and Leonardo DiCaprio were in a bidding war for a Dinosaur skull...He paid $276,000....now THAT is RARE my friend...i dont think they are making those anymore haha lol

Honestly, its a comparisions that quite chills my blood lol but will do. BTW, a thing is not necessarily valuable because its rare or considered collectible.

I read that a few years back Nicolas Cage and Leonardo DiCaprio were in a bidding war for a Dinosaur skull...He paid $276,000....now THAT is RARE my friend...i dont think they are making those anymore haha lol

Nicolas Cage and Leonardo DiCaprio apparently did not have anything better to do than spending big money. Nothing against the fossils, but c'mon… lol

As per your other question, I could have a million of different examples, but they all amount to value: it seems clear that here we are mostly speaking of desirability as a "collectible": well, I am not a collector in that sense, all I could do is recognize the dynamics which are implied in "collecting". In this sense, you are right, but Liam is also right: there are some people collecting this kind of "collateral stuff" in Italy, but I seem to get it’s not so common.

Nicolas Cage and Leonardo DiCaprio apparently did not have anything better to do than spending big money. Nothing against the fossils, but c'mon lol

As per your other question, I could have a million of different examples, but they all amount to value: it seems clear that here we are mostly speaking of desirability as a "collectible": well, I am not a collector in that sense, all I could do is recognize the dynamics which are implied in "collecting". In this sense, you are right, but Liam is also right: there are some people collecting this kind of "collateral stuff" in Italy, but I seem to get its not so common.

In what sense are you a collector?

You know, since I started this thread I am consistently amazing at the amount, quality and coolness of the foreign variants that pop up on this thread. :o I also am amazed at the amount of boardies from all over the world that contribute. :o(worship) This being the case its gotten hard to find stuff that is rarely seen? I think though I might have something? hm

My good buddy Hector AKA Chesperito hooked me up with some Japanese trades that collected a lot of cool stories from the Marvel universe. I am not sure how rare they are but I know Hector says they are very very very difficult to find and I can concur that I have never seen one offered for sale here in America or elsewhere. :gossip:

This is issue 1 of the series called Marvel X……

MarvelX_Japanesecover.jpg

They are similar to the Japanese Spawns in that they have a dust jacket, are more like a trade than a comic and have very good art and layout design… mine doesn’t have the dust jacket but here is a scan of the book with its original dust jacket….

8272833625_a921d5dff1_c.jpg

Very cool me thinks…. :headbang:

Now the Marvel X series from what I can tell collected stories of importance from the Marvel universe. It also seems to speak about the history of Marvel in America?

Here is a blurb on the man……

MarvelX_Japanesecover_inside1.jpg

And it contains little factoids on important peeps…..

MarvelX_Japanesecover_inside2.jpg

My guess is this was a way of introducing the Marvel universe to Japanese readers who might not have had any of the backstory to our Marvel world? Were these trades successful in snatching Japanese hearts and minds and more importantly yen? Who knows but I have a couple of the trades so I know they went a couple issues at least.

Now in issue 1 they sure start off with a bang! Imagine being a Japanese kid whos first entry into the Marvel universe is the Infinity Gauntlet story arc? Wow, is all I can say…..

MarvelX_Japanesecover_inside3.jpg

MarvelX_Japanesecover_inside5-1.jpg

Who knew our mad titan could speak Japanese? lol

MarvelX_Japanesecover_inside6-1.jpg

more marvel info on artists and upcoming story arcs maybe... hm

MarvelX_Japanesecover_inside4.jpg

The issue included copper Xmen #30 the wedding of Cyclops and Jean Grey… and a Silver surfer story drawn by Moebius I believe….

Back cover….

MarvelX_Japanesecover_back.jpg

The printing is great with glossy cover and good quality paper inside…. Anyways hope this interests those with a hankering this morning for a foreign related piece that they probably haven’t scene.

Id also like to thank my good buddy Ches for hooking a brotha up! (thumbs u

As per your other question, I could have a million of different examples, but they all amount to value: it seems clear that here we are mostly speaking of desirability as a "collectible": well, I am not a collector in that sense, all I could do is recognize the dynamics which are implied in "collecting". In this sense, you are right, but Liam is also right: there are some people collecting this kind of "collateral stuff" in Italy, but I seem to get its not so common.

In what sense are you a collector?

I qualify as a collector since I collect comics, books, magazines, etc. because I am interested in their reading content. I mean that generally I would not collect a comic just because I like the cover, or because I like the art.

I can purchase something I like but it’s occasional, and generally has little to do with the fact the thing is sought after (i.e. I don’t care about having an Iron Man #55 at those prices).

I do like rare things if they have historical value but that Punisher coloring book is mostly a curiosity, and I don’t like the idea of dealers charging those prices for that, that’s all. :)