• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Comic book collecting with a foreign variant focus
19 19

4,891 posts in this topic

To be honest, I did not think much about covers when I read our editions as a kid.

I mean that I loved some covers, even if they were reproduced in the insides (as they did 95% of the time when the character was a backup feature).

I mean that the cover of a great issue is not always necessary great, and vice-versa.

For Hulk #181 they did not even use the cover on the insides, IIRC. Hulk was a backup feature on the italian Spider-Man by that time, and they just published the story. And honestly, although it is quite nice it’s not one of the best Trimpe covers.

There is also to say that covers which were never presented originally have been often used in recent reprints. That is the case of Fantastic Four #1, of which – finally – in the 2000s they made a special edition with the original cover. There is also a story about that, to which I am not sure if I have to give credit or not. It sounds like some "metropolitan legend".

For me the art was always the first thing I obsessed about... I used to practice drawing by repro-ing all my favorite covers like many kids at the time im sure...... so cover art has always been important to me. I think this attitude carried over into my foreign variant collecting as well. hm

So there is a 181 Hulk Italian edition? hm Thats cool.... tell me Claudio is there anything not modern in Italian that used the classic hulk 181 cover art?

Nice sir! Looks like you got it covered.... do you collect a lot of dif foreign WD? Country wise? hm

Nope, these are my first and probably my last foreign books.

last? why last if you dont mind me asking? hm

Wow, great post and thread...I'm still not thru all of it..I love a lot of foreign variants. I'm actually trying to find one right now, been looking for it for like ten years. lol an ultimate xmen 3 euro edition with a gabe dell'otto slip cover of wolverine. Two versions were produced, a color (mostly red) and a sketch. I want either, or both. lol great looking cover. And it was done before dell'otto got popular here. Please if anyone has one and might part with it let me know. Any condition from cgc to reader...

Nice sir! Looks like you got it covered.... do you collect a lot of dif foreign WD? Country wise? hm

You may think that now but I said pretty much the same thing about three years ago. Once the foreign bug bites you you'll find yourself looking for more and more. (thumbs u

Wow, great post and thread...I'm still not thru all of it..I love a lot of foreign variants. I'm actually trying to find one right now, been looking for it for like ten years. lol an ultimate xmen 3 euro edition with a gabe dell'otto slip cover of wolverine. Two versions were produced, a color (mostly red) and a sketch. I want either, or both. lol great looking cover. And it was done before dell'otto got popular here. Please if anyone has one and might part with it let me know. Any condition from cgc to reader...
I'm happy to see more and more people taking an interest in foreign editions. It's interesting how much traffic from newly interested parties we've seen in the thread in the recent months.

Et voilà

Batman227french_zps9cc15ea7.jpg

So, you were the one that got the seller to cancel my bid and end the auction earlier… :boo::boo:

Nom de dieu de putain de bordel de merde de saloperie de connard d'enculé de ta mère.

Asm 50, from Italy

Asm50italian_zpsd4011808.jpg

Asm 50 second edition (or first reprint) from Italy… ;)

And this answers Matt question as well.

Asm 50 (first italian edition) came with a Soccer-related medal. Super-tough to find (and insanely expensive) with the medal still attached. I have no copies, this is a found scan.

uomo-ragno-44-medal.jpg

Nom de dieu de putain de bordel de merde de saloperie de connard d'enculé de ta mère.

(tsk)

Asm 50, from Italy

Asm 50 (first italian edition) came with a Soccer-related medal. Super-tough to find (and insanely expensive) with the medal still attached. I have no copies, this is a found scan.

uomo-ragno-44-medal.jpg

(tsk)

Thats a bad-a-s-s book! It would go wonderfuly with my set of foriegn ASM 50's :cloud9: Now to find one......

You may think that now but I said pretty much the same thing about three years ago. Once the foreign bug bites you you'll find yourself looking for more and more. (thumbs u

I'm happy to see more and more people taking an interest in foreign editions. It's interesting how much traffic from newly interested parties we've seen in the thread in the recent months.

Tims right this foreign thing is addicting... I challenge anyone that gets a key based focused set of at least 6 books to keep from trying to create more sets.... at some point in time I want to create a thread that showcases sets 5 books deep or 10 books deep or crazy town 20 books deep! :o it would be fun.... hm

@ motuxmen: hey man are you the guy from flicker? hm You clearly have a love of foreigns.... PM me and I will help you find that book your hankering over.... (thumbs u

Asm 50, from Italy

uomo-ragno-44-medal.jpg

As usual Claudio beat me.

I never saw this comic withthe medal still attached either

Edited by marmat

As usual Claudio beat me.

I never saw this comic withthe medal still attached either

Don’t worry, I have never seen one either… lol

Last December, however, I saw one with the medal but not its original envelope, which was photocopied. I did not asked the price. hm

Found image of standard copy *without* the medal: ;)

uomoragno-corno-44.jpg

Edited by vaillant