• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Comic book collecting with a foreign variant focus
19 19

4,886 posts in this topic

Are there any treasury sized foreign editions?like the Batman vs Hulk or Spidey vs Superman?

As far as Italy goes, there are magazine-sized editions.

Examples:

– The Eternals (published Nova, Omega, 2001 and Guardians of the Galaxy as well);

– Corriere della Paura (published material from Marvel’s 1970s horror B&W magazines);

– Dracula (same as above, published Tomb of Dracula);

– Shang Chi (published Shang Chi, Master of Kung Fu);

– Fantastici Quattro Gigante, Uomo Ragno Gigante, Devil Gigante, Vendicatori Gigante (reprinted FF, Spidey, Daredevil and Avengers stories in chronological order, much like the Essentials, in magazine size, they were very nice).

– L’Uomo Ragno Graphic Novel Strip (from the early 1990s, it published in Italian the Amazing Spider-Man syndicated strips).

Well, since everyone's talking about Italian variants, I guess I will post the only one I own. Namely:

SAM_0635.jpg

I got this four years ago during a vacation in Italy. The comic shop I found in Rome had an American Avengers #1 and quite a few other American back issues, but this was the only back issue of the Italian Avengers series that they had. I found that a bit odd, but I was happy to buy it, as Avengers #166 is an all-time classic.

Edited by Crimebuster

Well, since everyone's talking about Italian variants, I guess I will post the only one I own. Namely:

SAM_0635.jpg

I got this four years ago during a vacation in Italy. The comic shop I found in Rome had an American Avengers #1 and quite a few other American back issues, but this was the only back issue of the Italian Avengers series that they had. I found that a bit odd, but I was happy to buy it, as Avengers #166 is an all-time classic.

It's beautiful thing!

Got these in yesterday:

001hyc.jpg

Both are in great condition, #282 is one of the best greek copies I have seen. It is unusual to find them in better than FN condition.

So you're the one that bought them. I almost hit the BiN myself. lol

SAM_0635.jpg

I’ve read this one as a kid. :cloud9:

I’ve never been a big Thor reader. My very first issue was Thor #243 (story told here: http://boards.collectors-society.com/ubbthreads.php?ubb=showflat&Number=6371641#Post6371641 ) but I liked the Avengers and Captain America.

Since the italian Thor featured also The Avengers (and later on Captain America, when they closed the title) I have a small collection of italian Thors as well.

Avengers covers were less commonly used, a nice one is issue 111:

TH111.JPG

Got these in yesterday:

001hyc.jpg

Both are in great condition, #282 is one of the best greek copies I have seen. It is unusual to find them in better than FN condition.

The #282 is sweet. They look like low cost editions, printing quality does not seem great.

SAM_0635.jpg

I’ve read this one as a kid. :cloud9:

I’ve never been a big Thor reader. My very first issue was Thor #243 (story told here: http://boards.collectors-society.com/ubbthreads.php?ubb=showflat&Number=6371641#Post6371641 ) but I liked the Avengers and Captain America.

Since the italian Thor featured also The Avengers (and later on Captain America, when they closed the title) I have a small collection of italian Thors as well.

Avengers covers were less commonly used, a nice one is issue 111:

TH111.JPG

Ah, that's sweet. Avengers #96 is my favorite Avengers cover of all time. I had my ratty copy signed by Neal Adams last year because I just love it so much, low grade or not.

SAM_0570.jpg

That’s so nice, I’d love to have a book signed by Neal as well. I have tried to put together the Adams run recently (also partially read on the italian Thors at the time) but since I did not wish to spend too much it is coming together bit by bit.

It’s hard to upgrade old issues which are deeply connected with our life and reading history. I have a VG/F Fantastic Four #8 which Jack Kirby signed me in 1991 and it‘s an issue I love but I can’t buy a better copy as it’s inextricably connected with my visit to the Kirbys. :cloud9:

Six different now: Sweden, Denmark, Norway, Israel, Greece and Greece. Searching for issues from Colombia (Greco #27) and Mexico (Macc #4, that one was sold on eBay some time ago, I lost). Of the two greek versions, the first one (lower right) is the best, it's in color. The second version is black-and-white and also the epilogue page is omitted. Blasphemy!

sta47919.jpg

Six different now: Sweden, Denmark, Norway, Israel, Greece and Greece. Searching for issues from Colombia (Greco #27) and Mexico (Macc #4, that one was sold on eBay some time ago, I lost). Of the two greek versions, the first one (lower right) is the best, it's in color. The second version is black-and-white and also the epilogue page is omitted. Blasphemy!

sta47919.jpg

:headbang: :headbang: :headbang: :headbang: :headbang:

Freagin' Awesome!