• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Comic book collecting with a foreign variant focus
19 19

4,891 posts in this topic

I've found that, in general, these Australian books are somewhat tough to track down. The oddest part is there's conflicting information from people in Australia about them. The majority of those I've talked to have told me there's no real interest in them from collectors, they're looked at with the indigenous bias that seems to plague many foreign published books and are considered to have virtually no value whatsoever. However Tony (solarcadet) seems to keep getting the opposite story, that the local collectors won't generally let go of them and that many of the key books are expensive and highly sought after. I don't know for sure which story is true but I've been lucky enough to be able to pry these loose over the last couple of years.

th_ActionComics374Australia.jpgth_AmazingSpiderMan1Australia.jpgth_AmazingSpiderMan3Australia_zps6607e649.jpgth_AmazingSpiderMan5Australia_zpsa6e529a6.jpgth_Avengers1Australia_zps4e8ac442.jpg

th_Batman203Australia_zpsf37b1f19.jpgth_Batman233Australia_zpsd1d4d007.jpgth_Batman234Australia_zpsb6a41ce2.jpgth_Batman243Australia.jpgth_CaptainAmerica100Australia.jpg

th_CaptainAmerica100bAustralia_zpsd635cf1d.jpgth_CaptainAmerica102Australia_zps9fea6e92.jpgth_CaptainAmerica110Australia.jpgth_Conan1bAustralia.jpgth_Conan2Australia.jpg

th_Conan3Australia.jpgth_Conan4Australia.jpgth_Conan5Australia.jpgth_Conan6Australia.jpgth_Conan7Australia.jpg

th_Conan8Australia.jpgth_Conan9Australia.jpgth_Conan10Australia.jpgth_Conan11Australia.jpgth_Daredevil1aAustralia.jpg

th_Daredevil1Australia.jpgth_Daredevil2Australia.jpgth_DetectiveComics416Austraila_zps84b15ac0.jpgth_DetectiveComics439Australia.jpgth_FantasticFour1Australia_zpsc75803c8.jpg

th_FantasticFour5Australia.jpgth_FantasticFour12Australia.jpgth_FantasticFour14Australia.jpgth_FantasticFour16Australia.jpgth_IncredibleHulk1Australia.jpg

th_IncredibleHulk2Australia.jpgth_JourneyIntoMystery84aAustralia.jpgth_JourneyIntoMystery84Australia.jpgth_JourneyIntoMystery86Australia.jpgth_JourneyIntoMystery100Australia_zpsea0fd61d.jpg

th_JourneyIntoMystery101Australia.jpgth_MarvelSpotlight4Australia.jpgth_DC100PageSuperSpectacular14Australia_zps6a25181e.jpgth_DC100PageSuperSpectacular20Australia_zpsb765cf64.jpgth_MyOwnRomance43Australia_zpsa23744ff.jpg

th_SilverSurfer14Australia.jpgth_Superman195Australia_zpsee4bf90f.jpgth_Superman234Australia_zps9efe2a02.jpgth_SupermanFamily182Australia.jpgth_XMen1aAustralia.jpgth_XMen1bAustralia.jpg

I've found that, in general, these Australian books are somewhat tough to track down. The oddest part is there's conflicting information from people in Australia about them. The majority of those I've talked to have told me there's no real interest in them from collectors, they're looked at with the indigenous bias that seems to plague many foreign published books and are considered to have virtually no value whatsoever. However Tony (solarcadet) seems to keep getting the opposite story, that the local collectors won't generally let go of them and that many of the key books are expensive and highly sought after. I don't know for sure which story is true but I've been lucky enough to be able to pry these loose over the last couple of years.

th_ActionComics374Australia.jpgth_AmazingSpiderMan1Australia.jpgth_AmazingSpiderMan3Australia_zps6607e649.jpgth_AmazingSpiderMan5Australia_zpsa6e529a6.jpgth_Avengers1Australia_zps4e8ac442.jpg

th_Batman203Australia_zpsf37b1f19.jpgth_Batman233Australia_zpsd1d4d007.jpgth_Batman234Australia_zpsb6a41ce2.jpgth_Batman243Australia.jpgth_CaptainAmerica100Australia.jpg

th_CaptainAmerica100bAustralia_zpsd635cf1d.jpgth_CaptainAmerica102Australia_zps9fea6e92.jpgth_CaptainAmerica110Australia.jpgth_Conan1bAustralia.jpgth_Conan2Australia.jpg

th_Conan3Australia.jpgth_Conan4Australia.jpgth_Conan5Australia.jpgth_Conan6Australia.jpgth_Conan7Australia.jpg

th_Conan8Australia.jpgth_Conan9Australia.jpgth_Conan10Australia.jpgth_Conan11Australia.jpgth_Daredevil1aAustralia.jpg

th_Daredevil1Australia.jpgth_Daredevil2Australia.jpgth_DetectiveComics416Austraila_zps84b15ac0.jpgth_DetectiveComics439Australia.jpgth_FantasticFour1Australia_zpsc75803c8.jpg

th_FantasticFour5Australia.jpgth_FantasticFour12Australia.jpgth_FantasticFour14Australia.jpgth_FantasticFour16Australia.jpgth_IncredibleHulk1Australia.jpg

th_IncredibleHulk2Australia.jpgth_JourneyIntoMystery84aAustralia.jpgth_JourneyIntoMystery84Australia.jpgth_JourneyIntoMystery86Australia.jpgth_JourneyIntoMystery100Australia_zpsea0fd61d.jpg

th_JourneyIntoMystery101Australia.jpgth_MarvelSpotlight4Australia.jpgth_DC100PageSuperSpectacular14Australia_zps6a25181e.jpgth_DC100PageSuperSpectacular20Australia_zpsb765cf64.jpgth_MyOwnRomance43Australia_zpsa23744ff.jpg

th_SilverSurfer14Australia.jpgth_Superman195Australia_zpsee4bf90f.jpgth_Superman234Australia_zps9efe2a02.jpgth_SupermanFamily182Australia.jpgth_XMen1aAustralia.jpgth_XMen1bAustralia.jpg

im only referring to the aussie keys, not the aussie 2 you just picked up...

The collectors and Dealers i talk to cannot even locate the Aussie 227 for a high price.

I am still dealing with this one dealer that says he has a rich client that has a 227.

He is saying its looking 95% im gonna get it :)

Dont know the price, dont care :acclaim:

For sure, the majority of italian collectors don’t care about the original editions, and are after the italian ones. The biggest difference is that the key issues here aren’t the first appearance et al., but just the ones which appear to be scarcer. In general, the first and the last issues of each title/run.

I am speaking mostly for the Marvels, various early Batman and Superman are scarcer in general, especially in grade.

My interest was peaked recently in foreign editions and I knew I had a few in some assorted boxes. I went long box diving in my collections today and found something very cool that I didn't even know I had. I will post pictures tonight.

My interest was peaked recently in foreign editions and I knew I had a few in some assorted boxes. I went long box diving in my collections today and found something very cool that I didn't even know I had. I will post pictures tonight.

:popcorn:

The Daredevil 1 is my fav from the bunch

I'm not sure why you wouldn't consider the two I just picked up keys. They're the respective #1s from both series from the publisher. (shrug)

Anyway... I just got this one in today from Thailand. Justice League of America #69 from the Death of Superman crossover. :grin:

JusticeLeagueofAmerica69Thailand_zps0508dffb.jpg

I'm not sure why you wouldn't consider the two I just picked up keys. They're the respective #1s from both series from the publisher. (shrug)

I'd say he means keys based on the original American content. :foryou:

Anyway... I just got this one in today from Thailand. Justice League of America #69 from the Death of Superman crossover. :grin:

Man, I love that Thai text! Cool book! :applause:

I'd say he means keys based on the original American content. :foryou:

Liam hit the bingo...

i only mean they are not American keys

i dont think us foreign collectors care about the numbers as much as the covers or keys that reference american keys or artist keys

they are definitly cool no doubt :applause:

Quick question to both you guys.... does either of those contain stickers? hm

The italian Cap #1 originally contained BOTH poster and stickers, but to find one with both means to be willing to spend over $200… :eek:

BTW, the fixation for covers, while understandable, just doesn’t make much sense. The italian first edition of FF #1 (not in a comic book, and without the cover of course) is SO cool… :cloud9:

Man, I love that Thai text! Cool book! :applause:

+1