• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Comic book collecting with a foreign variant focus
19 19

4,891 posts in this topic

Your response re highlights part of the larger problem here with terminology surrounding foreigns. There is no clear definitions for the different types of works that exist. How much can you localise a work and how much license can a foreign producer take with a character or story before a work is no longer a variant but something entirely different? […] Does a work being authorized or not enter the definition?

You are right, of course. As you try to focus on the quality of the work, evaluation questions arise. But that is good.

I have refrained from making specific examples, but there are a few which are clearly defined, which could be made.

"Variant" is a generic, vague term which does not define anything, and it did not exist as applied to comics, until recently.

If you want, I can make an example with Disney comics (as referred to Walt Disney’s vision/poetics at large), but I don’t want to derail the thread.

Perhaps everyone should just stop trying to put labels on everything and just appreciate each book for what it is. :idea:

It’s not a question of "putting labels", rather to be critical in order to understand better what are the qualities of a product. :)

Gentlemen, I was wondering if anyone can help me...

I love this issue of Special Strange for a number of reasons. I'm a sucker for original art on foreign editions, and love painted covers. Also, having Dr. Strange with ROM and The Living Tribunal... epic!

specialstrange57.jpg

I found one being offered on eBay, but is pretty expensive for an incomplete book (it's missing some pages in the front):

AUCTION LINK

Does anyone have a complete copy for sale or know where I can find one? Thanks!

Edited by wdb23

Gentlemen, I was wondering if anyone can help me...

I love this issue of Special Strange for a number of reasons. I'm a sucker for original art on foreign editions, and love painted covers. Also, having Dr. Strange with ROM and The Living Tribunal... epic!

specialstrange57.jpg

I found one being offered on eBay, but is pretty expensive for an incomplete book (it's missing some pages in the front):

AUCTION LINK

Does anyone have a complete copy for sale or know where I can find one? Thanks!

Your best bet is to check ebay France. (thumbs u

Anybody know what these normally sell for? Mexican or Spanish versions of Spectacular Spider-Man #1 and #2.

SpectacularSpider-Man1and2Mexican_zps146a10e3.jpg

They're not mine....was just wanting to know about approximate values.

Anybody know what these normally sell for? Mexican or Spanish versions of Spectacular Spider-Man #1 and #2.

not sure on the values but La Prensa tend to be sought out.

They look in great condition. Overall a low demand book even in the original format so i would say its an under appreciated book in value....

from time to time i throw books on ebay just to test the market then pull the auctions down. thats my recomendation

not sure on the values but La Prensa tend to be sought out.

They look in great condition. Overall a low demand book even in the original format so i would say its an under appreciated book in value....

from time to time i throw books on ebay just to test the market then pull the auctions down. thats my recomendation

The guy who has them just posted them on eBay starting at $99.00.

$99 is not a bad price. its not bad at all. The right collector might pay that if they really love this book.

My guess is it probably is worth more like $50 for the set as its not super key

the condition is pretty amazing !!!! Hope it sells!

In that spirit here is a Trimpe commission of the Japanese counterpart to Bruce banner, Dr. Araki, in transformation........IMG_2154_zpscdcde16_edit_1391292689526_zpsoahvkxtd.jpg

That’s a really great idea you have had, Henro! :)

Were you able to read the japanese Hulk story? How long is that (episodes?).

@wdb: If you have problems in making purchases from eBay.fr I can eventually grab the book(s) for you. I don’t know french, but I usually manage to communicate decently.- lol

I've seen them listed on Mercado Libre from time to time ranging anywhere from $50 to as high as $200.

In that spirit here is a Trimpe commission of the Japanese counterpart to Bruce banner, Dr. Araki, in transformation........IMG_2154_zpscdcde16_edit_1391292689526_zpsoahvkxtd.jpg

That’s a really great idea you have had, Henro! :)

Were you able to read the japanese Hulk story? How long is that (episodes?).

@wdb: If you have problems in making purchases from eBay.fr I can eventually grab the book(s) for you. I don’t know french, but I usually manage to communicate decently.- lol

For the record, if anyone ever needs help in French, I can help as well - I speak French. (thumbs u