• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Comic book collecting with a foreign variant focus
20 20

4,885 posts in this topic

I had around 300 books pressed and it seems that the easier-to-correct defects with professional pressing are:

1. bumped corners

2. Rolled spines

3. Stress lines that do not break colour

I noticed that recent books with glossy paper have a great success ratio because the paper is very elastic.

Silver age books can be improved to up to 3 grades

In my opinion, the worst results are obtained on 1980-2000 books due to the poor materials used: stress lines and creases are here to stay even after pressing!

and yes...even italian books can incredibly improve their appearance :

Second series and First Series #100-250 Corno books tend to improve much more than earlier issues!

Ciao

Federico

Marmat you should send that to CGC...

A press would also help the top right corner

It would be highest in census for a long time to come...Beautiful!!!!!

The copy I sent to Matthew is pretty remarkable too, I think a 9.0 or so.

I’m not sure about pressing. Federico (XXXPHOENIX) told me he pressed some books, but I don’t know if he was talking about US books or italian ones.

YKOil told me he wished to press a pair of Corno books I sent him, but from what I recall I think he had them graded without pressing because they are structurally different and the person who should have pressed them advised him to leave them as they were.

I think the highest grade I have among Corno books (so far) is my Fantastici Quattro #12, which I tentatively graded as a NM. One of the few I am keeping.

I got this in today. It was a gift from TheAmazing R.J.S. and it proves he lives up to his board name. (thumbs u

Batman232Australia_zps7dcf9852.jpg

A beaut.... :headbang:

Show the 232s side by side... :popcorn:

Got a bunch of new ones from all over the world in the last few weeks!

First up, from Spain, a set of graphic novels not published in America:

magorenovado1.jpg

magorenovado2.jpg

Another one from Spain reprints the Last Rites storyline in the Doctor Strange Sorcerer Supreme comic series. This has never been reprinted in America. The comics are available separately, but I tracked down the much rarer omnibus of the 8 individual issues:

ritofinal.jpg

This Marvel Team Up reprint from Spain has a painted cover. I love painted covers!

spideystrange63.jpg

The final one from Spain is a super rare (but very professionally put together) fanzine devoted to Dr. Strange:

elboletin.jpg

Not a comic, but here's a DVD copy of the Lion's Gate Dr. Strange Animated Movie from Mexico:

dvd1.jpg

dvd2.jpg

Here's two modern reprints from Germany:

germanspidey1.jpg

germanspidey2.jpg

Finally we go to France, with some great issues of Strange! The first reprints a ROM Spaceknight storyline and has another amazing painted cover:

strange172.jpg

Also with the same cover is a Strange Album, which collects 3 entire issues (including #172 pictured above)

strangealbum57.jpg

And finally, issue #210, which reprints Defenders #101:

strange210.jpg

Sorry for the long post. Hope everyone likes this stuff because these things are really tough to get here in Los Angeles! :)

Edited by wdb23

The final one from Spain is a super rare (but very professionally put together) fanzine devoted to Dr. Strange:

elboletin.jpg

I am totally diggin' this one (thumbs u

HI!

It's not a color copy...because the original doesn't exist...it's a re-creation of a book that was never published!

CGC can be very unprecise...

Actually the technical realization is incredibly professional.. it's not a cheap amateur production, because this friend of mine works in a typography.

And it's not cheap...if you can find somebody willing to sell a copy, expect to pay anywhere between €350 to €500... !!

CIAOOO

FEDERICO

XXXPHOENIX,

this is very interesting.... hmhm

so was this book in fact a color copy made or actually published?

what is the "street" value of this book over in Italy?

i love rare and odd books like this thanks for sharing my friend

Typically CGC gets foreign labeling incorrect due to lack of review/knowledge

perfect examples of a Spain GL76 labeled as "Mexican" and several ASM300s labeled as "Finnish Edtion" when the language is clearly not Finnish

Love the story of this Italian "ghost" book! A book that shouldn't exist yet does.. very cool! Thanks for sharing! :headbang:

I got this in today. It was a gift from TheAmazing R.J.S. and it proves he lives up to his board name. (thumbs u

Batman232Australia_zps7dcf9852.jpg

A beaut.... :headbang:

Show the 232s side by side... :popcorn:

Ronnie is a pretty amazing fellow! 2c This makes your 232 set nearly complete right Tim? hm

Showcase #22 German NM $45:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/9-2-NM-NEAR-MINT-SHOWCASE-22-EURO-VARIANT-1ST-GREEN-LANTERN-SDCC-/160973570987?pt=US_Comic_Books&hash=item257ac5c3ab

I think it's a scam because:

Says item location Des Moines but under FB page says Germany

Too cheap

Stock pic

Private FB

FB looks canned, suspicious

Other items for sale just look suspicious

I believe it's not too cheap.

the trick with foreign editions is that many of them are recent publications (this german Showcase 22 is from 1999), the real problem is to find mid-high grade copies of the foreign editions published in the 60's and 70's.

For example, it's pretty easy to fins an italian ASM 129 (from 1976), but it's VERY VERY hard to find one like this:

Asm129italian_zpsc4cdbc6a.jpeg

Marmat you should send that to CGC...

A press would also help the top right corner

It would be highest in census for a long time to come...Beautiful!!!!!

Mine is pretty nice... thank you Claudio! AKA Valiant! (thumbs u

But, my spine doesnt nearly look as nice as Marmat's. I could probably press some of mine out... but there is apretty big color breaking crease that would hurt my chances at a 9.0.

Punny129_Italian.jpg

I dont know? (shrug) Maybe with a press I could get one on a loose grading day at CGC? Mine also has some rounded corners.... :gossip:

Edited by Define999

Outside of UK reprints does anybody know if Marvel's bronze age Defenders books have foreign variants?

Oh yes, the Dutch company Juniorpress reprinted about 80 issues in the late 70's through to the mid 80's

5727.jpg5737.jpg15176.jpg5683.jpg

Outside of UK reprints does anybody know if Marvel's bronze age Defenders books have foreign variants?

Oh yes, the Dutch company Juniorpress reprinted about 80 issues in the late 70's through to the mid 80's

Excellent :applause:

I want some now doh!

I want some now doh!

that is pretty neat.. I have scoured the Dutch books and i have never seen these before....

One day, one day I say....i will be able to say i have seen it all...

It will be a sad day if this day arrives....

Great finds Chromium!!!

Hi Comicopolis, you have a big Defenders fan here! :)

The series was published initially on Albi dei Super-Eroi (confidentially A.S.E.) of which our friends lscomics, Define999 and Liaton-9000 already have some issues.

It was an antology title, so the Defenders appeared in rotation with other titles, but just to give you an idea here’s #1 (reprinting Marvel Feature #1 and #2).

K6QyGw9h.jpg

Then, given the success of certain characters (including the Defenders), the italian publishers launched a shared title called "Hulk e i Difensori" which lasted for … issues:

HULK_DIFENSORI_C_001.jpg

Finally, there was a 15 issues Difensori series which was interrupted when the publisher experienced economical problems, and then went bankrupt:

USABnySh.jpg

We had to wait until the early 1990s to have a new title (also an antology) presenting the Defenders. Title was called "All American Comics":

ALL_AMERICAN014.jpg

This was a special "Marvel Collection" issue picking up a batch of stories initially left out to bridge the gap between the "I Difensori" series (ended in 1982) and the "All American Comics" run in the 1990s (which starts with issue 14 above):

MC1.JPG

I want some now doh!

My son has the complete series. Will see if he has any doubles.