• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

ASM 129 cheap... so whats wrong with it!?

20 posts in this topic

Man, you are new to this aren't you. grin.gif

A book is worth what it is because of the condition it is in.

This book looks like it is in Very Good + Condition and that auction price reflects that.

Any other book that wasn't a key in this grade would be signifcantly lower than book value.

smirk.gif

Man, you are new to this aren't you. grin.gif

A book is worth what it is because of the condition it is in.

This book looks like it is in Very Good + Condition and that auction price reflects that.

Any other book that wasn't a key in this grade would be signifcantly lower than book value.

smirk.gif

27_laughing.gif yes very new smile.gif

I really didn't think it looked all that bad, certainly not a 3.5 (although I couldnt accurately grade a comic if my life depended on it). I bought the overstreet guide, got it for 12.99 (including s&h) from amazon (used copy, unread, or so they say), so maybe it'll help me appreciate what books are worth what. All I knew about this book is that it was "worth a thousand bucks", as the dude on Coyote Ugly said. Seeing it for $61.00 and still having a cover made me wonder 27_laughing.gif

Oh well, we all were clueless at one time or another tongue.gif

Vince

Snipers will probably show up at the last minute and up it to $75 or so... confused-smiley-013.gif

I know you're right, and that is just silly sense the Overstreet Books it at around $50!

They'll buy it thinking it is a good investment, when there are plenty of these

books in this range of condition.

A fool and his money are soon parted! grin.gif

All I knew about this book is that it was "worth a thousand bucks", as the dude on Coyote Ugly said. Seeing it for $61.00 and still having a cover made me wonder

You have to remember thats its really only the ultra HG books that command the big $$$ especially with Bronze Age books. Unless a book is 9.0 or better then the money won't be chasing it.

This copy is only a reader and should be bid on accordingly.

I bought the overstreet guide, got it for 12.99 (including s&h) from amazon (used copy, unread, or so they say), so maybe it'll help me appreciate what books are worth what.

When you get a chance... check pages 279 and 280 for some examples

of books graded 3.0 that look "as nice" as this ASM 129.

It's surprising how quickly books move from 9.0 to 6.0 to 3.0 even though

all of those are complete books, with covers intact and all pages, easily readable.

(But the prices for those grades are VERY different.)

I bought the overstreet guide, got it for 12.99 (including s&h) from amazon (used copy, unread, or so they say), so maybe it'll help me appreciate what books are worth what.

all of those are complete books, with covers intact and all pages, easily readable.

Soon as it gets here I'll definately check it out... I don't understand though. The book doesnt looks so bad. I would have, in my infinite simplicity and lack of understanding, given it a rating of at least 7.0. I wish I could be better at grading comics, any ideas on how this happens?

Vince

I wish I could be better at grading comics, any ideas on how this happens?

I'm not as new to the hobbey as you are...have been collecting for over 15 years, however I never took the time to learn how to grade. And my collection (because I am a college student and cant afford anything else) only consists of HG moderns and low to mid grade silvers and bronzes and one bugs bunny golden age comic that lookslike someone wiped there [!@#%^&^] with it.

So let me get to my point. You've already taken the first step. You've joined this forum. Just keep reading every post you can espechially in the grading forum and you will learn how to grade.

It took me only a couple months to get the hang of it and master grading. As you can see I am the grand prize winner of Nico61's Guess the Grade: Grading Contest and frankly I am very proud of how much my grading has improved. You can do this too! 893applaud-thumb.gif

The book doesnt looks so bad. I would have, in my infinite simplicity and lack of understanding, given it a rating of at least 7.0. I wish I could be better at grading comics, any ideas on how this happens?

Vince

asm129.jpg

A 7.0? No, no, no. WAY too high. Myself, I'd say 3.0, *maybe* 3.5

I'd recommend you peruse the next forum down "Comic Book Grading and Restoration Issues", and look through some of the many "Grade this comic..." posts, where forum members post scans of comics and the others here grade them. There's usually concensus, and elaborate explaining, and it'll definitly help you to get a feel of what each grade .5 - 10.0 should look like.

I'd recommend you peruse the next forum down "Comic Book Grading and Restoration Issues", and look through some of the many "Grade this comic..." posts, where forum members post scans of comics and the others here grade them. There's usually concensus, and elaborate explaining, and it'll definitly help you to get a feel of what each grade .5 - 10.0 should look like.

superman2.jpg

I agree thumbsup2.gif

Hey, as you said. we are all new at something at one point in our lives.

you will soon learn... keep at it.

I would suggest you look at CGC graded comics as much as possible.

Do a search on Ebay.. and look at GA, SA, BA CGC slabbed comics.. and study them closely.

You will soon learn why spine roll, corner creases, small tears, chipping, etc.. all factor into why a comic earns the grade it does.

So keep studying CGC photo covers from as many auctions as you can.. Ebay is a wealth of unlimited data.. and it is free to look, also compare raw comic auctions to CGC comic auctions...

You will find that sellers on Ebay who sell raw comics tend to overgrade, and if the photo is small, and their description is vauge.... then as a rule of thumb .. dont believe them.

That is why CGC comics are such a safe sell on Ebay.. it takes out all the guess work, not only as to what grade the comic might be, but also if the comic has had any restoration done to it..

Or go to Comiclink.com also an excellent place to look at CGC graded comics.

If you only want comics to read them , then CGC isnt exactly for you.

And one last thing.. deals can be had on Ebay.. but in general.. you are not alone in looking at any of the auctions listed on Ebay.. and if bids are low on a comic.. there is a reason..

#1 people are waiting to bid last second and "snipe" bid to try and get it at last second.

or

#2 There is something wrong with the comic, and or the seller has a bad rep.

If I stated alot of things you already knew then I appoligize.

Just wanted to give you a heads up on buying on Ebay, and how to learn how to grade .

Zeman

For what its worth, I've been collecting for 19 years now, and I still have issues accurately grading books under 8.0. Since the day I began pulling in a salary, I've pretty much stopped getting books under 8.0. Its all just ugly and uglier to me down there =p

That book is most certainly not an 8.0. smile.gif

Soon as it gets here I'll definately check it out... I don't understand though. The book doesnt looks so bad. I would have, in my infinite simplicity and lack of understanding, given it a rating of at least 7.0. I wish I could be better at grading comics, any ideas on how this happens?

Vince

I think that we need to get you on as a grader....and then let me send in books to you...we could make a bundle since everyone buys the label and not the book. I have plenty of books that look way better than this "7.0"

Vince

I think that we need to get you on as a grader....and then let me send in books to you...we could make a bundle since everyone buys the label and not the book. I have plenty of books that look way better than this "7.0"

Hah Hah, No doubt!

I'd love to turn a few of my CGC 8.5's to 10.0's...

Sign Me Up!!! grin.gif