• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

OT-What is you favorite Old School Console Video Game?

184 posts in this topic

Alright Old Schoolers - here is you chance to shine.

My fav is an old Atari 2600 classic called Adventure.

Not only is this the first Adventure type of game, but it was

the first of my knowledge where it had a mix-it-up sequence setting that

made the A.I. more challenging. If you set the game to level three

the items that you would need to complete the game were scattered

all over the place. Thus almost making it a new game everytime you played it.

The graphics are digi and laughable (the dragons actually looked like pizzed off ducks),

but they ruled back in the day.

Yep I still have my 2600 with about 70 games - of coarse I have up to date system

games like my PS2, but I still like to go retro every now and then.

What is you favorite Old School Console Video Game?

(Old School meaning 70's through early 90's: Atari, Intellivision,

Collecovision, Nintendo, Sega etc.) grin.gif

I too really like adventure but I also like NES super mario brothers and metroid. Those games for the nes took home video gaming to a new level for home video gamers and resparked the home video game market after the crash of 83 with the comeback of 85

[*] Centipede on my Atari VCS (only the second generation had the "2600" added sign-rantpost.gif)

[*] Bubble Bobble on my Commodore 64

[*] Sensible Soccer & Defender of the Crown on my Amiga 500

These are my favorites for the various systems I've had-

Atari 2600-although I agree that Adventure rocked, I really liked Klax...very addictive and frustrating at once. Super Pitfall was very good also.

Intellivision-Disks of Tron. One of the best games ever. I played this once for two days straight with no sleep it was that good.

Commodore 64/128-Dino Eggs... probably nobody has heard of it but I played this for hours on end. I kept this system through the late 90's just for this game.

NES-Punch Out or Super Mario Bros. Great games for their era.

Super Nintento-Super Punch Out. No contest here... the best I have ever played on this console although Super Mario Kart was very good too.

Arcade-Bank Panic. Probably the ultimate test of reflexes and enemy recognition.

This brought back a lot of memories. I still have the NES and Super NES somewhere.

The games I have the fondest memories of are the Baseball and Dungeons and Dragons games from Intellivision.

I think every kid in the neighborhood was camped outside our door, and I could literally have charged admission. 893whatthe.gif

dungeonsdragonscart.jpg

bigleaguebaseball.jpg

mlbaseball-ss.png

nflfootball-ss.png

boxing-ss2.png

nhlhockey-ss.png

I think every kid in the neighborhood was camped outside our door, and I could literally have charged admission. 893whatthe.gif

Which, of course, would have been unethical wink.gif

pitfall was awesome-

Anybody like River Raid?

Donkey Kong?

Missile Command?

Atari Space Invaders? multiple players, invisible invaders, moving shields

A few years back I was buying a comic collection and stumbled upon an atari system- I wouldn't leave until they sold it to me- I played for a few weeks and had a blast. My nephews came for a visit and they loved it too.

VZ

I fondly remember Sega Hockey '93, and before that, Blades of Steel on the NES. We used to run mini-tournaments in university....good old time hockey smile.gif

Let's see...

I started with "Jupiter Landing" on a Commodore 64. Then, Atari's PacMan, Asteroids, Combat, and my personal favorite:

Super Breakout! I played the level with 2 "balls" (no pun here) so you could clear all the blocks easier. If you timed it just right, when the level cleared you could get the 2nd ball stuck in limbo up top, and it'd clear most of the bricks by itself!

Plus, that game justified getting out the "paddles"!

How about Taito's Jungle Hunt? I forget the platform, but I was blown away by the graphics on that one.

All in all, I would challenge anyone here on a game of Tetris, score or level wise. That's what I did in my spare time, that and "Battletoads" on Super NES.

I loved KLAX too! Can't forget MegaMan, Castlevania, and Metroid! All excellent games!

I just built a MAME arcade machine that plays 100's of games. All the Sega, Sega CD, Atari, NES, SNES every old school arcade game you can think of (Ms. Pac Man, Galaga, Street Fighter, Golden Tee, Tron, Track and Field etc.) as well as Dragons Lair, the best game ever. It is sweet with 3 joysticks (1 4 way) and a trackball.

I just built a MAME arcade machine that plays 100's of games. All the Sega, Sega CD, Atari, NES, SNES every old school arcade game you can think of (Ms. Pac Man, Galaga, Street Fighter, Golden Tee, Tron, Track and Field etc.) as well as Dragons Lair, the best game ever. It is sweet with 3 joysticks (1 4 way) and a trackball.

I have something similiar to that on my home theater PC...it runs various emulators for each platform. Talk about HUGE Dig-Dug pixels on a 50" screen, baby! Wireless USB joysticks, works great!

Nintendo would have to be Mike Tyson's Punch Out...I remember as a teenager thinking 'geesh, it can't get any better then this!'

Also, Tecmo Bowl with your total of four plays to call on both offense and defense..

I have fond memories of Bill Walsh's College Football (EA's original NCAA offering).