• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Comic Connect Extended Bidding

69 posts in this topic

Real auctions give a"going once, twice, sold" ie, extended bidding. 2 minutes is not excessive. If you are so ate up that you can't keep up with the items you want to buy, perhaps you should find some other way to make your bones.

This kind of attitude is why the hobby is more about somebody making money than about building a collection. Sad really.

Call me a whiner if you want, but bid-sniping is and always will be something that pisses me off.

Before there was an internet it was... hello, welcome to the 21st century. Things are different now.

Timed, proxy bid auctions have been around for a long time. "Mail bid" auctions have probably been held for 100 years or so in stamps and coins (maybe longer?) and function the same way... just a lot more slowly!

Those sites that have the "extended times" lost me as a bidder forever. Wonder if I am the only one they lost?

CAL who does not think so...

Sounds like win all around for the auction house.

Real auctions give a"going once, twice, sold" ie, extended bidding. 2 minutes is not excessive. If you are so ate up that you can't keep up with the items you want to buy, perhaps you should find some other way to make your bones.

This kind of attitude is why the hobby is more about somebody making money than about building a collection. Sad really.

Are you saying that people who don't like extendo-bid auctions are the greedy ones ruining the hobby? Man, are you azz-backwards.

Call me a whiner if you want, but bid-sniping is and always will be something that pisses me off.

You don't like sniping because you don't know how to bid right, that's all.

In live auctions you can a majority of the time see who you are bidding against, it is much harder to shill.

Not really. Most of the live bids at Heritage come in over the phone or via the internet, so in most cases the only competing bidder that an in-room bidder actually sees is a Heritage employee on the phone or on a computer (start your conspiracies now). The same is true with other major auction houses like Sotheby's and Christie's.

OK, if you insist! (shrug)

In live auctions you can a majority of the time see who you are bidding against, it is much harder to shill.

Not really. Most of the live bids at Heritage come in over the phone or via the internet, so in most cases the only competing bidder that an in-room bidder actually sees is a Heritage employee on the phone or on a computer (start your conspiracies now). The same is true with other major auction houses like Sotheby's and Christie's.

Damn crotchety old men today ( :kidaround: hi Tim);l know you can shill any auction, it just seems to me that the extended bidding clause as employed on CC and Pedigree predisposes itself to that end. I'm also probably skewed here as the only auctions I've been to in person are classic car auctions. Most of those hammer to someone in the room, though I'm sure there are shills there as well.

How are thinks in HK? Haven't been working in the pacific much for the past few, that is going to change this fall so hopefully I can stopover and finally meet up for a drink. The company does frown upon HK layovers as the Per Diem is so damn expensive.

Damn crotchety old men today ( :kidaround: hi Tim);l know you can shill any auction, it just seems to me that the extended bidding clause as employed on CC and Pedigree predisposes itself to that end.

I really don't understand how extended bidding makes shill bidding easier. In my view, it actually increases the risk of inadvertently winning for the shill bidder.

The reason is that with extended bidding, it's more likely that a genuine bidder will raise his bids in the minimum increments, just like in a real auction, because there's no final bite at the apple in which he must put in his max best bid. So that means the shill bidder knows his next bid is likely to top the genuine bidder's most recent bid, and he just has to hope that the genuine bidder will come back and top him after that. The genuine bidder may or may not (maybe he loses his internet connection), so at various points in the extended bidding shilling process, the shill bidder will be exposed to the risk of being the high bidder who will win the book if no higher bid comes in.

In contrast, at the end of a fixed deadline auction, the shill bidder puts in his support price and then waits to see what happens. Yes, the shill bidder runs the risk of being the high bidder, but the exposure seems less than in an extended bidding scenario.

How are thinks in HK? Haven't been working in the pacific much for the past few, that is going to change this fall so hopefully I can stopover and finally meet up for a drink. The company does frown upon HK layovers as the Per Diem is so damn expensive.

Things are crazy here as usual. You COULD do a layover here on your own dime you know. If your company has paid the airfare, that's most of the battle. There are some decent reasonably priced hotels here, so it wouldn't be a budget buster to hang out for a day or two.