• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Comic Connect Extended Bidding

69 posts in this topic

Silly noob.

Pedigree uses extended bidding as well.

Did you win?

Exactly.

That tells you all you need to know.

That's absurd, there is nothing inherently dishonest or fraudulent about extended bidding. If someone wants to shill or manipulate an auction, they can do it whether it's fixed ending or extended bidding. Neither is particularly better for shilling or manipulating.

Extended bidding replicates a live bidding process where the auction continues until no one else wants to bid. It also reduces sniping, which in my mind is a good thing.

It is a better option for a seller, as it generally helps to achieve higher prices.

Which is why Pedigree use it.

Which was my point.

Nick, as CC uses it, should one assume improper bidding there as well ? Personally, I don't like it. I prefer the ebay, CL method.

I don't think it's 'improper', but it certainly favours the seller - and thus the house.

Silly noob.

Pedigree uses extended bidding as well.

Did you win?

Exactly.

That tells you all you need to know.

That's absurd, there is nothing inherently dishonest or fraudulent about extended bidding. If someone wants to shill or manipulate an auction, they can do it whether it's fixed ending or extended bidding. Neither is particularly better for shilling or manipulating.

Extended bidding replicates a live bidding process where the auction continues until no one else wants to bid. It also reduces sniping, which in my mind is a good thing.

It is a better option for a seller, as it generally helps to achieve higher prices.

Which is why Pedigree use it.

Which was my point.

Nick, as CC uses it, should one assume improper bidding there as well ? Personally, I don't like it. I prefer the ebay, CL method.

I don't think it's 'improper', but it certainly favours the seller - and thus the house.

(thumbs u

I like extended bidding. As was said, it replicates an actual auction, where the book goes to the person actually willing to pay the most, not the one able to get their snipe bid in at the last second.

Heritage Sunday auctions, for example, have been problematic for me because their server often can't handle the volume of last 30-second snipes, let alone last 5-second ones. I've learned to put in my max bid with about 35-40 seconds to go just to ensure it actually registers--after losing out on many actions I bid on in the last 10-12 seconds only to not have it register.

Whole thing would be solved if Heritage did 2-minute (or even 1-minute) extended bidding. I prefer their live auctions.

Bad for buyer

Good for seller

+1

I know for me at least, there are many times i'll bump my max bid in an extended auction. I dont really mind it and if its a book i REALLY want, i actually prefer it. The only time it really bothers me is if i'm trying to go after a run of books one after another. If you're trying to manage 8-10 auction all in extended bidding at the same time, it can definitely get a little hectic :pullhair:

The only time it really bothers me is if i'm trying to go after a run of books one after another. If you're trying to manage 8-10 auction all in extended bidding at the same time, it can definitely get a little hectic :pullhair:

The only thing I don't like about the extended bidding is that if you would need to keep an eye out on other auctions closing within the next few minutes as well. Too many clicking back and forth sometimes.

+1 to both. Gets extremely confusing to track what's going on if you are bidding on multiple books and need to know in the moment what you are winning. I much prefer a straightforward end time.

Comic link has the Paypal fee whatever they want to call it

Not true. Comiclink does not accept payments by Paypal anymore.

Only fee they add is if you pay by credit card.

Its still passing off direct business operating expenses to the buyers. I mean the kids that operate a lemonade stand on the corner of my street will take credit cards without charging you a fee. :makepoint:

Forget the extended bidding, the thing that drives me CRAZY in the CC auction is the listing disappearing the second its over and the listings moving around because of the extended bidding! :frustrated:

I MUCH prefer the way Clink does it where the listings stay right where they are the whole time. On CC, the listings move around based on the extended bidding and then disappear. Just keep the listings in the same damn order as they started if you ask me! It annoys the hell out of me moving the auctions around and then having them disappear! :censored:

Bad for buyer

Good for seller

I disagree - I think it is good for both buyer and seller.

I cant count the number of times that I was sniped back in the day on eBay where I would have absolutely paid more for an item than the winning bid.

Buyer (ie. me) is happy because I got the item I wanted.

Seller is happy because the selling price increased.

I fail to see the logic in your statement.

I cant count the number of times that I was sniped back in the day on eBay where I would have absolutely paid more for an item than the winning bid.

There is an incredibly easy solution to this as a buyer--bid what you're willing to pay, and E-Bay (or any of the other sites) will automatically place a higher bid. Why would anyone not do this? Deciding in the closing minutes of an auction what you're actually willing to pay for something is a formula for emotional overspending--which is why it favors sellers. :eek:

I'm in the camp of Finality... if you can "snipe", that is because the first bidders tried to be cheap. They played the game and LOST. Then they cry foul over being "sniped"?

The world is FULL of cry-babies and wanna-bes.

CAL who won't bid the "extended auctions" on the aforementioned sites above...

I guess I am surprised at the amount of people who are actually around to witness the last two minutes of an auction. If I've bid on 100 auctions in a year, I bet I've only witnessed the end of two or three of them.

There is an underlying benefit of sniping. Putting bids on your sniper can keep you organized without actually having to bid on the item. If you change your mind or find another book, you delete it. While this is similar to 'watching' an auction, you don't have to remind yourself to bid on something (as you do when you watch an auction) - you've already got your bid in place. And - there's less chance for emotional spending. For me, it's efficient.

It also works in your best interest as a buyer as it doesn't inflate the cost of the item with early bidding. If you're a seller, it sucks - if you're the buyer - it's great.

Bad for buyer

Good for seller

I disagree - I think it is good for both buyer and seller.

Buyer (ie. me) is happy because I got the item I wanted.

Seller is happy because the selling price increased.

I fail to see the logic in your statement.

Sorry, but I have to disagree with your disagreement! :sorry:

The extended death auction only benefits the consigner and auction house. The buyer has to work much harder if juggling multiple auctions and in the end pays more for items, especially in head to head competition with someone equally determined to buy the book.

Maybe it's just me, but I kinda liked the sniping tools available to eBay bidders and the competition leveled out over time as more folks started using the various sniping programs. Basically it turned the auctions into secret bidding competitions, where you determined your maximum bid before hand and took your chances, which from my POV is fairer for prospective buyers overall (secret bidding kills shill bidding).

2c

I'm with CAL on this one. I'm looking for a deal, not to be someone else's open pocket book during an auction.

I'm with CAL on this one. I'm looking for a deal, not to be someone else's open pocket book during an auction.

I'm trying to recall that first site I bid on, and I did not get the item. The auction got extended an extra 15 minutes, but I can't remember that site.

Anyway, I bid this Fantastic Four 48 1st app. Silver Surfer CGC 8.5 and won it for $275. Great price back in the day! Lo and behold, this item winded up going for $1,100-something, and went an extra TWO HOURS because of the extra 15 minute periods.

That was the end for me with this "extended time" auctions.

I bid, I won, but then... I did NOT win...

CAL who used to be the big buyer back in the day...

I think it's important to point out that there is nothing ethically wrong with an extended time auction (shill bidding aside).

It's in the auction houses best interest to get the most they legally and honestly can for the consignor.

For buyers looking for a bargain, yeah it sucks, but it seems that even with extended bidding some bargains are available.

I can see pros and cons for both extended bidding and time close bidding.

There is an incredibly easy solution to this as a buyer--bid what you're willing to pay, and E-Bay (or any of the other sites) will automatically place a higher bid. Why would anyone not do this? Deciding in the closing minutes of an auction what you're actually willing to pay for something is a formula for emotional overspending--which is why it favors sellers. :eek:

^^

Online auctions last a week, sometimes more. If you can't decide how much you are willing to pay for something in a week's time, exactly how much time do you need to make a decision?