• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

SS on high grade keys?

206 posts in this topic

That seems to be only an argument to deface other important unique books for future collectors down the road. Being Frazetta's first work only makes it MORE in demand from future collectors. And more disturbing.

I don't care if a Tally Ho is signed. Its not that hard of a book to get.

It's the Church copy that I have a problem with.

If I wanted a Frazetta signed Tally Ho I'd grab a 5.5 for around $6-$700 (BTW Sold $620 May 2010)

Which I'd have no problem with.

Well at least there is more than one in 9.6, but not another MH. :gossip:

Sometimes you just might want to think about others who will own a unique book.

That's where I comin from.

That makes sense.

I would have done the same thing.

In fact this weekend I did exactly that. I had a 6.0 of a relatively easy to get Silver Age book to get signed by someone I have wanted to get for a long time.

At the C2E2 show, I found the same book that was an easy 9.4-9.6 copy that I could have switched in. It was the nicest copy I had ever seen of it.

It was too nice. I didn't buy it. I couldn't bring myself to do that when the 6.0 did the job I needed just fine.

Frank Frazetta is a very special case for me, and for a lot of collectors. I can't put anyone, any collector, any collection above him.

I probably could not have personally had that Church signed by him. but that doesn't mean I put Edgar Church ahead of Frazetta. I just can't.

I personally don't like the SS books, mostly due to the tougher resale

This has been proven as untrue.

they declare that they alone can authenticate a signature?

They don't authenticate signatures. They will only attest to the authenticity of signatures a CGC representative personally witnesses.

That seems to be only an argument to deface other important unique books for future collectors down the road. Being Frazetta's first work only makes it MORE in demand from future collectors. And more disturbing.

I don't care if a Tally Ho is signed. Its not that hard of a book to get.

It's the Church copy that I have a problem with.

If I wanted a Frazetta signed Tally Ho I'd grab a 5.5 for around $6-$700 (BTW Sold $620 May 2010)

Which I'd have no problem with.

Well at least there is more than one in 9.6, but not another MH. :gossip:

Sometimes you just might want to think about others who will own a unique book.

That's where I comin from.

That makes sense.

I would have done the same thing.

In fact this weekend I did exactly that. I had a 6.0 of a relatively easy to get Silver Age book to get signed by someone I have wanted to get for a long time.

At the C2E2 show, I found the same book that was an easy 9.4-9.6 copy that I could have switched in. It was the nicest copy I had ever seen of it.

It was too nice. I didn't buy it. I couldn't bring myself to do that when the 6.0 did the job I needed just fine.

Frank Frazetta is a very special case for me, and for a lot of collectors. I can't put anyone, any collector, any collection above him.

I probably could not have personally had that Church signed by him. but that doesn't mean I put Edgar Church ahead of Frazetta. I just can't.

....I wouldn't mind a Frazetta sig on ANY of his covers or books.For some reason, the MH example doesn't bother me. I also don't mind the Stan sig on a cover if it's discreetly placed....not smack dab in the center and obscuring art or copy. Unfortunately, Stan is so busy at these shows, it's kind of an assembly line. In all honesty, I have seen specific copies(well placed) in the SS series that are tempting if priced realistically. I could see particularly well placed examples going for a premium in the future. I think most of the fuss began when people started listing SS books at triple GPA.....which is (IMHO) ludicrous.....but it IS a free country. GOD BLESS...

-jimbo(a friend of jesus) (thumbs u

Not my cup of tea at all.

I do like some of the really nice sketch covers that people get on the new "blank cover" books. Some of those are outstanding.

But a sig on a HG SA book, I'm not a fan. You've got a beautiful book that you're going to have someone write on with (most likely) a sharpie. Won't the ink bleed thru at some point?

I am all about people doing what they want to with their books. Personally, I think the sweet spot for Silver Age SS is 8.0-9.0. The copies are beautiful, but they are all quite plentiful in that range. Also, the number of UHG copies that are created by pressing has made me feel much less bad about UHG SS copies.

It reminds me of the tagline from some forgotten commercial - "Eat all you want, we'll make more!"

Personally - I hate writing and ink scribble on all old original comic books... no matter who it is that's doing the defacing. Just have them sign a photo or reprint.

You do realize that comics were created with artists scribbling, and someone else writing, and someone else coloring, right? lol

I personally don't like the SS books, mostly due to the tougher resale ability, but also because it reduces the number of unmodified(unmolested) copies.

Placing anything on a comic is bad IMO, I always hated stamps, dates, stars etc. Now we come to see that some pedigrees are famous but identified by markings placed on the books.

I don't like CGC's stance on signatures either, they declare that they alone can authenticate a signature? I don't mind signatures inside of books, that's great and I would do that if I had a special need to. As long as CGC will put unrestored books in blue labels, regardless of the signature placement, it's not an issue.

I have one SS book, but for a super grail like AF 15 that I cannot afford, the restored copies are fair game for anything.

af15cgc90owwtrimmedss.jpg

What if CGC made a mistake and it's not really trimmed? Then what? I mean if CGC doesn't have the authority to authenticate a signature, then what authority do they have to determine if a book has been trimmed. You may have just ruined a high grade copy of Amazing Fantasy #15.

Personally - I hate writing and ink scribble on all old original comic books... no matter who it is that's doing the defacing. Just have them sign a photo or reprint.

I'll get right on that. :screwy:

I know. How insane that I prefer not to have black scribble on the covers of old rare high grade books. I think people would just use lower grade books for SS, but then that wouldn't give them the high registry points.

To each his own though. I don't collect HG books anymore so it makes no difference to me. And I'm picky about any kind of cover writing..even pedigree scribble.

Shockingly, this has turned into SS people vs the world :idea:

The OP asked about re-sale down the line. I think the responses have shown what i said from the beginning. No matter what your thoughts on SS, a LOT of people dont like it and you're definitely reducing your pool of buyers.

Will it sell eventually and for more money? Yes

Question is, do you have enough time/$$$ to sit and wait for the right HG SS buyer to come along (thumbs u

The only sig I would want is Joe Simon

Not Silver, but still awesome.

utf-8BL01lZGlhIENhcmQvQmxhY2tCZX-33.jpg

that's a nice book, sean. :cloud9:

If I owned a Capt 1 HG. I wouldn't have hesitated to SS it. Something about Simon's sig.

Erm, from beyond the grave? I guess that would make for a good resale.

The only sig I would want is Joe Simon

Not Silver, but still awesome.

utf-8BL01lZGlhIENhcmQvQmxhY2tCZX-33.jpg

that's a nice book, sean. :cloud9:

If I owned a Capt 1 HG. I wouldn't have hesitated to SS it. Something about Simon's sig.

Erm, from beyond the grave? I guess that would make for a good resale.

Since I was using past tense, I should have used "had." :blahblah:

Shockingly, this has turned into SS people vs the world :idea:

The OP asked about re-sale down the line. I think the responses have shown what i said from the beginning. No matter what your thoughts on SS, a LOT of people dont like it and you're definitely reducing your pool of buyers.

Will it sell eventually and for more money? Yes

Question is, do you have enough time/$$$ to sit and wait for the right HG SS buyer to come along (thumbs u

That seems sound, and I really appreciate all the comments in response to my original post. The evidence, though, seems a little circumstantial. How many SS haters would buy a 4 figure book, or a five figure book, unsigned or no? I take your point , sufunk, about some big spenders staying away from sigs. On the flip side, if a sig hater is primarily buying $50 or $100 books, there's that, too.

I think I'm gonna probly buy one semi-pricey book and test the waters. I'm in no hurry for a resale.