• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

SS on high grade keys?

206 posts in this topic

True, but its also ruined for a LOT of other people. That is a mid-grade book though so i cant freak out about that one since theoretically that is the perfect book for SS. That being said, at least put a TINY bit of effort into the sig placement!!! Did you look at the scan i posted at the beginning of the thread ?

As bad as those sig placements are, that book is pretty much ruined for EVERYONE! Pretty much everyone who ive shown that too, SS fans or not, think it looks HORRIBLE now :sick:

Oh, I agree that sig placement is important aesthetically. That's why prepping the book is important.

That what bothers me the most about the Suscha book. It seems like the owner could have cared less where the sigs went or what it looked like. Maybe i'm wrong but i cant imagine thats where he PLANNED that book to be signed.

Suscha's and a lot of other Peds may not mean squat to others and thats fine. I dont expect anyone else to care about them. I do HOPE that people will have some little bit of respect for them though wether they care about them or not.

It's like i said in another post. Say someone who doesnt care about Sigs whatsoever buys some 10.0 SS book that is unique, cracks it open and throws away the label. Then a month later, he reholders it to sell it but now its forever a green label and that unique SS book is gone forever to GLOD hell. That wouldn't bother you guys???

It doesn't matter if they were to keep the label on not. If there's not a CAW present when it's cracked it wouldn't get a yellow label again period.

Would I be up in arms about it? No. It's their property and they can do whatever they please with it. If it ruins a unique example of a SS book... yeah that would be a bummer but so be it. It's not my place to tell them what they can and can't do.

I think for the most part you've overreacted, I don't believe there are very many members of the SS community that have any intention of subbing pedigree books for SS. We'd rather use our monies for more books, grading fees and sketches.

The ONLY thing i'm overreacting to is your ridiculous statement that "you dont give a rats " about Pedigrees, even ones like Mile High and Church so its fine to permanently alter them for a quick flip.

And we're now at the point where I leave this silly argument because you're not even paying attention to what people are saying.

For the record: I have no interest in pedigree books, no intention of buying any to sub for SS. My point all along has been that any individual can do whatever they like with property that they own. They are in no way, shape or form obligated to conform to your thinking simply because they currently own something you may have interest in owning should they decide to sell it.

Bye bye.

And my only point is thinking its perfectly fine to PERMANENTLY alter a 70 year old book to conform to YOUR likes for the 10 minutes you plan to own it before flipping it is incredibly selfish and short sighted. You obviously will never understand that so smell ya later :hi:

Take the suscha Avengers 103 for example. It would seem like common BA drek but that issue is IMPOSSIBLE to find in high grade. Suscha News had one of the nicest copies of that book anyone had ever seen. It might not matter to most people but if someone bought and SS'd that book..... :cry:

I would get Thomas, Buckler and Sinnott on that book in a heartbeat. As a matter of fact, you better start sleeping with the Suscha News copy, because i SHALL have a HG SS copy of 103 some day, oh yes, I shall. Here is something to really cry about:

Harlan Ellison

IMG00175-20101214-2040.jpg

Barry Windsor Smith

utf-8BSU1HMDAyOTctMjAwOTEwMzEtMTE0O.jpg

:devil:

Here is a real SS pedigree also (Western Penn) hope you don't stroke out:

IMG00070-20101011-2107.jpg

....these SS books you just posted are totally mindboggling....especially the Steranko :takeit: . GOD BLESS....

-jimbo(a friend of jesus) (thumbs u

Maybe we can come up with some sort of gauge that determines the quality of sig? In the same way that we grade comics, can we grade sigs? I'm seeing everything from a "poor" to a "very fine plus" in just the sigs that have been posted in this thread. I'm just wondering if there is some way we can quantify "good sig" and "bad sig" (and "oh-gawd-was-Barry-Windsor-Smith-drunk-off his-azz" sig.)

I will say though that I just don't understand WHY you would SS that Avengers 1. Suscha may be a "marketing ploy" but it's still s Pedigree and special on some level. There are a MILLION 5.5 range Avengers1. Why SS the ONE Pedigree copy when there's a million and one "regular" copies to SS?

Side conversation: Weren't pedigrees a hell of a lot more significant before there were 787 of them? Do you remember back when you could name the real pedigrees on one hand or maybe one and a half?

Lately it seems there's a new one every week or two.

It's like diluting your single malt with moonshine, it will still get you toasted, but the label doesn't mean what it once did.

I agree. To me there are only a handful of pedigrees which I hold in the highest regard, and they are the older ones for sure.

I will say though that I just don't understand WHY you would SS that Avengers 1. Suscha may be a "marketing ploy" but it's still s Pedigree and special on some level. There are a MILLION 5.5 range Avengers1. Why SS the ONE Pedigree copy when there's a million and one "regular" copies to SS?

Side conversation: Weren't pedigrees a hell of a lot more significant before there were 787 of them? Do you remember back when you could name the real pedigrees on one hand or maybe one and a half?

It's like diluting your single malt with moonshine, it will still get you toasted, but the label doesn't mean what it once did.

I agree. To me there are only a handful of pedigrees which I hold in the highest regard, and they are the older ones for sure.

For Silver and Bronze books, it's always been Mass. Ped. for me. I've owned (still own) several hundred of these books and it's amazing how they are all so damn pride and white and shiny. Even the small handful that aren't technically NM or better still look like they just came off the printing press.

....these SS books you just posted are totally mindboggling....especially the Steranko :takeit: . GOD BLESS....

Thanks, Jim. It is my true passion in collecting. And I truly respect others' beliefs as it relates to not liking signatures. I am pretty vocal about supporting SS when the haters come out en masse, but i do listen to and appreciate their point of view. I get very bothered when the haters speak in absolutes; such as " no comic should ever be signed," or "any signature is a desecration of any comic book."

For me, the opportunity to own books that have been handled and then autographed by the very men who breathed life into the stories contained therein, is what makes the hobby as exhilarating now as it was when i was 8 years old.

Thanks, Jim. It is my true passion in collecting. And I truly respect others' beliefs as it relates to not liking signatures. I am pretty vocal about supporting SS when the haters come out en masse, but i do listen to and appreciate their point of view. I get very bothered when the haters speak in absolutes; such as " no comic should ever be signed," or "any signature is a desecration of any comic book."

For me, the opportunity to own books that have been handled and then autographed by the very men who breathed life into the stories contained therein, is what makes the hobby as exhilarating now as it was when i was 8 years old.

Nerd :baiting:

For Silver and Bronze books, it's always been Mass. Ped. for me. I've owned (still own) several hundred of these books and it's amazing how they are all so damn pride and white and shiny. Even the small handful that aren't technically NM or better still look like they just came off the printing press.

Curator :gossip:

:whee:

:whee:

lol

Just for the record, i'm not a "SS hater". Other than a relatively TINY % of the books out there, sign away. It's just not my thing.

When i was younger, i would stare at the Gerbers photo journal at all the books i wished i could someday have. To be able to get as nice and perfect a copy as i can now makes me feel like a kid staring at all those amazing books i never thought i'd ever be able to have (shrug)

.....I can totally relate.....totally. My few autographed books are some of my favorites, even though all are unverifiedby CGC.....Hulk 109 (Trimpe), Doc Strange 55 (Golden), FF 8 (Kirby), FF 11 (Stan the Man), Black Rider Rides Again( Jack AND Roz Kirby), ASM 6 (Stan), and Thunda 1 (Frazetta).....it's almost transcendent when I look at them....perticularly the one's I witnessed. All mine are signed on the first page. The 3 you just posted I don't see so often.....I'd love a SS Series Steranko Shield.....the first issue, the Dali' swipe, or the #6 would all be :cloud9: GOD BLESS...

You should check out more of the Twin Cities copies.