• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Comic Convention Tips

18 posts in this topic

I've been to a couple comic conventions before, but havnt bought alot at them. I'm getting more serious about collecting now and am heading to a convention this weekend. Anyone have any tips on getting good deals on comics at conventions?

I curious if vendors are willing to negotiate much on prices. Will

most give discounts if your willing to buy multiple comics?

Also, can you get better deals at conventions than other places, such as comic shops or eBay?

Most will, yes

Also, can you get better deals at conventions than other places, such as comic shops or eBay?

Not necessarily, as dealers have to figure in the cost of getting to the con, room, booth, food, etc. The plus is that you get to evaluate the book(s) in person and save on shipping fees

You should expect a reasonable discount if you are buying a number of books. It is perfectly acceptable to haggle a little at conventions, even if it's not something you do elsewhere.

Of course, it will hopefully go without saying that all offers should be within the bounds of reasonableness and put in a polite and respectful manner. It's all part of the fun of going to a con.

(thumbs u

I've been to a couple comic conventions before, but havnt bought alot at them. I'm getting more serious about collecting now and am heading to a convention this weekend. Anyone have any tips on getting good deals on comics at conventions?

I am not a huge collector (big fan of Golden though which is why I am here) but I have been to Comic-Con about 10-15 times (I live in San Diego and am in a related industry to the event have gotten free passes each time - and before anyone asks, I can't get passes for anyone ;) ), there is a lot of interesting stuff but I really don't see any bargains in the stuff I am looking for at this event. The beauty of the event is you can see Captain America Comics #1 or Action Comics #1 in person or literally thumb through hundreds of boxes of good stuff, much of it not available at your local store. In other words you can touch the books before you buy vs bidding on it and then waiting for it in the mail hoping it is a nice as it looked in that grainy photo.

Unfortunately as I am sure has been talked about in the past here Comic-Con has become less about comics and more and more about film, tv and now video games (I went to a couple in the 80's that were pretty old school - artists with their work looking for jobs and guys with 6ft tables selling back issues). I still say that everyone should go at least once (comic fan or not) as it is really an event to behold.

Events are great fun and you get hands on with a lot of different stuff but in my personal experience not a lot of "deals".

Conventions are so fun, and unlike eBay and many other venues, you actually get to see and inspect the book you are buying! Wow.

And unless you are pulling books out of the tons of 50% off boxes you will see at every show, I suggest that you NEVER pay full price for any book priced over $20 at a con without first trying to haggle.

Always be polite and respectful, have fun, and HAGGLE like a madman! It's great fun.

:D

I really thought this was going to include things like..

1-Shower. Do not contribute to fan boy funk.

2-Don't be a creep! Ask for a picture.

Boy was I wrong. lol

Well these are important tips for both convention going and life. Especially the shower part. And especially the don't be a creep part. Especially.

Also, remember that some prices may go down on the last day and/or closer to closing time at end of show. Selection may not be as good though.

A convention is almost always the best place to buy a book.

Always try to make a deal!

And carefully look at the book yourself. Slabbed or not, nothing beats that. :gossip:

Most sellers expect to negotiate on price. They will be less flexible for high demand books and keys and consignment books; you won't pick up key SA Marvels for half guide when the dealer likely paid 80% of guide.

Also consider the seller's overhead. For a show the size of SDCC the costs of the booth, food and lodging, staff costs and beer add up fast.

Also consider taking trade books. Dealers are happy to trade if you offer quality books.

Also, remember that some prices may go down on the last day and/or closer to closing time at end of show. Selection may not be as good though.

+1,000

Last year I went to my first ever big show at Heroes Convention in Charlotte, North Carolina. I only went for one day on Sunday (the last day) and I really got a ton of good deals as far as I could tell. Multiple dealers booths that I went to had stuff that I wanted and they were doing like buy one get four free on trades and stuff just so that they could get rid of the books so that they wouldn't have to haul them all back home. There was plenty of great stuff to pick up on that Sunday, so I don't see why the same wouldn't be true at many other shows as well. Wait until the last day for the majority of your purchasing. I promise you won't regret it.

+1,000

Last year I went to my first ever big show at Heroes Convention in Charlotte, North Carolina. I only went for one day on Sunday (the last day) and I really got a ton of good deals as far as I could tell. Multiple dealers booths that I went to had stuff that I wanted and they were doing like buy one get four free on trades and stuff just so that they could get rid of the books so that they wouldn't have to haul them all back home. There was plenty of great stuff to pick up on that Sunday, so I don't see why the same wouldn't be true at many other shows as well. Wait until the last day for the majority of your purchasing. I promise you won't regret it.

True dat....

For stuff you HAVE to have (hard to find, rare, only one you've seen in a while) dont wait till Sunday...

But for stuff you've been thinking about reading, or are one the fence with... especially with Trades just wait it out. Dont know about 4 for the price of 1, but there are definitely lots of Buy 1 get 1 deals, Dollar boxes turn into $.50 boxes and so on....

Same can be said for OA pages from artist alley, again only play the wait game if its something you dont mind losing. Artists are looking to cover their expenses, so by Sunday they may be working to "break even" in some cases, especially those that traveled.

Early in the con season the deals arent as good as they are late in the season (Dealers/Artists figure they can make up sales the following weekend at the next con) but come late summer/fall the deals continue to improve...

Best tip: when you see me, don't bother me. Send me a PM, praying for an audience. I'll grant the request prompt consideration. My eyes rarely leave my mobile device for longer than a quarter hour. I'll let you know, nerds.

Best tip: when you see me, don't bother me. Send me a PM, praying for an audience. I'll grant the request prompt consideration. My eyes rarely leave my mobile device for longer than a quarter hour. I'll let you know, nerds.

I have been the recipient of this type of Tupenny largesse. It is truly life affirming.

I have been the recipient of this type of Tupenny largesse. It is truly life affirming.

Please redirect me if my memory goes astray, but I think our last in person chat concerned my desire to 'stop scaring my personnel & making the ladies in my offices cry' by my strategy of softening my attire's color palette by shifting it away from blacks, greys, & earth tones & moving it toward more oranges & corals.

Deception begins with $8 JC Penny t-shirt selection.

So, went to the convention today (Pittsburgh Comic Con), and was very interesting. I had a list of comics I was targeting and got most of them in around the price range I was anticipating. I noticed that prices overall seemed a bit high, although every dealer was willing to negotiate lower prices.I was pretty conservative in asking lower prices and they almost all just said, "yeah, I can do that." A few I bought multiple comics from the same dealer which seemed to help them be willing to let them go for lower. Definitely helped to shop around too, because some dealers will have the issue you want for significantly lower than other dealers. So you might see the comic for $50 at five dealers and then get lucky and it's $25 at the sixth.

Best deals I got were from a dealer who said he had acquired his large collection of older comics recently and they were not very organized. I had fun looking through his more randomly placed boxes and he was willing to give great deals on the comics I found.