• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

dumb question date cgc book from barcode

12 posts in this topic

Not sure that you can accurately do so.

The last 3 digits of the bar code have to do with the number of books submitted on a particular invoice, but beyond that, since invoices have been sequentially numbered at one time but distributed to many, many submitters over a period of time, not every submission will be back to CGC in sequential order.

I think...

Welcome to the Boards!

Thanks lol tried to find it in a search so I didn't have to ask, but alas to no avail. doh! Not a slab collector only have about 35 in my collection.

The last 3 digits of the bar code have to do with the number of books submitted on a particular invoice, but beyond that, since invoices have been sequentially numbered at one time but distributed to many, many submitters over a period of time, not every submission will be back to CGC in sequential order.

I think...

:gossip: that's a serial number

I think...

:gossip: that's a serial number

:facepalm:

:sorry: I really thought the barcode numbers were the same numbers as the serial numbers. Oh well. My advice is usually worth what one pays for it, which in this case was nothing.

I remember you can date the slab by the barcode. Can I get a refresher on how?

Some people think that earlier serial numbers mean earlier submissions but that is not necessarily the case. Someone could easily have stockpiled old invoices and has just started submitting them.

I've seen plenty of fresh submissions with low serial numbers.

Some people think that earlier serial numbers mean earlier submissions but that is not necessarily the case. Someone could easily have stockpiled old invoices and has just started submitting them.

My sentiments exactly.

Because they're using old pre-printed order forms.

I still do.

I still do.

You're so Vintage!