• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

John Romita Jr. @ Vegas Hard Rock Cafe - May 4-6, 2012

164 posts in this topic

Just heard about this event from my LCS, if anyone is interested. Below is the info they had on a flyer.

John Romita Jr. will be attempting to break his own 50 hour Guiness World Record of most continuos cartooning over a 3 day period.

He will be appearing at the Hard Rock Cafe, on the Las Vegas Strip, from noon on May 4th to May 6th.

Proceeds to benefit the Romita Foundation and Candlelighter's Childhood Cancer Foundation of Nevada.

For more info go to www.heroesforjordan.org

yes I do and I am already tied into this event. Bad news is Romita Jr is NOT taking request from NON attendees. And he is ONLY doing basic pencil headsketchs on two different blank covers or on backing boards. DWC has been authorized to do a very limited number of sketchs. We can NOT accept requests. So my suggestion is that you try to attend the event and stand in the sketch line.

Question(s):

1) Is this a Desertwind Comics exclusive event, so the facts listed below apply to all attendees in terms of only doing basic pencil head sketches on small art surfaces (backing boards and comic blanks)?

2) Since this is a charity, how much is John Romita JR charging for the basic head sketches?

2a) Since this is a charity, with a purpose of raising funds, if an impressive donation was provided in return for a higher quality sketch (such as a full figure on 11" x 17") would JR JR be open to that?

2b) Since this is a chartity, again, with the purpose of raising funds, and this is a 50 hr event with another goal of breaking a record, is there a limit to the quantity (attendees with multiple requests) that can be obtained?

2c) Again, since this is a marathon, if at 3:30am on Saturday in the middle of this effort, and there are no more attendees, will he be continually sketching anyway and if there is one attendee and no line behind him or her, would, in order to both break the fund raising record and time duration one, he be open to doing a more lofty piece (for example a cover recreation for a $25,000 donation or something of a reasonably attractive scope?)

Thanks for clarifying the details to this event.

yes I do and I am already tied into this event. Bad news is Romita Jr is NOT taking request from NON attendees. And he is ONLY doing basic pencil headsketchs on two different blank covers or on backing boards. DWC has been authorized to do a very limited number of sketchs. We can NOT accept requests. So my suggestion is that you try to attend the event and stand in the sketch line.

Does anybody understand how to get tix for this or otherwise become an 'attendee' as opposed to a 'non attendee'. Is it simple enough to just show up? I'll be on the strip Friday and would love to be part of this event. All the websites simply say it will be happening and that there is a special kick- II #7 sketch variant for the event, but nothing else.

Does anybody understand how to get tix for this or otherwise become an 'attendee' as opposed to a 'non attendee'. Is it simple enough to just show up? I'll be on the strip Friday and would love to be part of this event. All the websites simply say it will be happening and that there is a special kick- II #7 sketch variant for the event, but nothing else.

Im pretty sure attending would eliminate you from being a non-attendee. :makepoint:

Im pretty sure attending would eliminate you from being a non-attendee. :makepoint:

This is Vegas. There's a pretty good chance of being asked at the door if you are an attendee and then being turned away bec you didn't do or buy something you should have. Just want to make sure.

Just show up. No tickets will be sold. It will just be "get in line and wait your turn" type of event. Hint.. the later you show up at night the easier it will be. I think midnight until 8 am should be the slow time and easier time to get sketchs. You can bring your own sketch cover if you wish or you may purchase one of the blank covers available for the event. At this time the Kick Blank will be available and Marvel is hopefully going to be making a special Avengers vs. X-Men blank available for the event. There will also be backing boards available. All blanks will be $10.00 and the blanks will be $5.00. Head sketchs will be $50.00. Sketches that you want CGC grading on can be arranged to be witnessed at specfic times. E-mail us for details. Does that help.

Question(s):

1) Is this a Desertwind Comics exclusive event, so the facts listed below apply to all attendees in terms of only doing basic pencil head sketches on small art surfaces (backing boards and comic blanks)? The CGC aspect of this is exclusive to DWC as we are one of the sponsors of this event.

2) Since this is a charity, how much is John Romita JR charging for the basic head sketches? $50.00

2a) Since this is a charity, with a purpose of raising funds, if an impressive donation was provided in return for a higher quality sketch (such as a full figure on 11" x 17") would JR JR be open to that? If you are willing to participate as a sponsor then there are other options. Sponsorship begins at $2500.00 and goes up from there. If interested please e-mail us.

2b) Since this is a chartity, again, with the purpose of raising funds, and this is a 50 hr event with another goal of breaking a record, is there a limit to the quantity (attendees with multiple requests) that can be obtained? That really depends on the crowd at the time. John says he is willing to do up to 2 sketchs at a time but if there is no line at the time then it might be possible to get more done.

2c) Again, since this is a marathon, if at 3:30am on Saturday in the middle of this effort, and there are no more attendees, will he be continually sketching anyway and if there is one attendee and no line behind him or her, would, in order to both break the fund raising record and time duration one, he be open to doing a more lofty piece (for example a cover recreation for a $25,000 donation or something of a reasonably attractive scope?) See answers 2 a and b.

Thanks for clarifying the details to this event.I hope that helps.

Just show up. No tickets will be sold. It will just be "get in line and wait your turn" type of event. Hint.. the later you show up at night the easier it will be. I think midnight until 8 am should be the slow time and easier time to get sketchs. You can bring your own sketch cover if you wish or you may purchase one of the blank covers available for the event. At this time the Kick Blank will be available and Marvel is hopefully going to be making a special Avengers vs. X-Men blank available for the event. There will also be backing boards available. All blanks will be $10.00 and the blanks will be $5.00. Head sketchs will be $50.00. Sketches that you want CGC grading on can be arranged to be witnessed at specfic times. E-mail us for details. Does that help.

Yes! Thanks very much.

I'm flying out Friday late afternoon, so I'll have to try during the peak period at the opening. OTOH it's my last day in vegas after a 6 day trip so I probably won't be too interested in more gambling. :)

Question(s):

1) Is this a Desertwind Comics exclusive event, so the facts listed below apply to all attendees in terms of only doing basic pencil head sketches on small art surfaces (backing boards and comic blanks)? The CGC aspect of this is exclusive to DWC as we are one of the sponsors of this event.

:facepalm: Charity, shmarity. If you want it CGC'd, it has to go through DWC? Nothing says charity like exclusive arrangements.

:facepalm: Charity, shmarity. If you want it CGC'd, it has to go through DWC? Nothing says charity like exclusive arrangements.

You plan on bringing a CGC CAW out with you?? If so let me know and then YOU can ask John if he will let you handle submissions. Sound fair?

It is funny how Transplant likes to criticize DWC for making CGC opportunities available to everyone. Hey Transplant, why don't you step up to the plate and put YOUR time and MONEY into organizing a signing event?

Are you saying that you have an exclusive arrangement with JRJR now, like McFarlane and Stan Lee? Excuse me for not thinking that exclusives make the creators MORE accessible, like you. I think they make them LESS accessible. But I'm funny that way.

There are no exclusives as per CGC rules. I think the wording might be off. For this event they are the only facilitator that has asked permission to facilitate this event. If other facilitators wanted to do something with this all it takes is a call to CGC. Hope that helps and sounds like a cool event! Wish I could make it!

For this event since we are one of the three sponsors for this event and since we will be the ONLY facilitator with a CGC CAW at the event you can come to whatever conclusions you wish. As for your feelings about exclusives, which we do not have any, but we happened to be the preferred CGC facilitator that certain comic book creators wish to work with. If you are going to be critical of us for having a good reputation with different creators that they feel the desire to work specifically with us then you need to express your feelings to that creator. Now as for John Romita Jr who has made no appearances or offered any signing or sketching opportunities this year so far again your criticism of us is misplaced as if it were NOT for DWC you and everyone else on the boards would NOT even have an opportunity to get sketchs and signatures from him. So maybe you should ask the fellow board members what they would prefer.

a sketch and signing opportunity presented by DWC

or

NO sketch and signing opportunity at ALL.

Your choice.

And Transplant like I said before, if you would care to step up and set up your own signing opportunities with any of these creators I am NOT stopping you. Thank you for your opinion and input.

Now back to the task at hand and that is talking about this opportunity with those who want to take part in it.

THANK YOU DESERTWIND COMICS for answering the questions

In defense of DWC, to subsequent negative sounding comments by others... I must say, they run a very organized and professional event, and take the chaos out of what can often times be a disorganized situation.

Their staff has always been professional and gracious, and do provide tangible value to events, as well as bring unique opportunities for fans as well as collectors and investors to meet celebrity creators.

In a world where many fans wait in lines for artists signatures, even toting a CGC witness, how many times has people waited and waited for hours only for that celebrity to suddenly leave and the line gets shut down and fans get shut out? Standing in long lines then getting cut in the front by friends of other fans? With DWC, from my experiences, the signings are coordinated to near guarantees (the "x-factor" being uncontrollable circumstances of course) and are very organized, fair and make for what can be described as a good system that is very orderly.

With that, I personally think DWC adds tremendous value to an event and creating events.

Question(s):

2) Since this is a charity, how much is John Romita JR charging for the basic head sketches? $50.00

2a) Since this is a charity, with a purpose of raising funds, if an impressive donation was provided in return for a higher quality sketch (such as a full figure on 11" x 17") would JR JR be open to that? If you are willing to participate as a sponsor then there are other options. Sponsorship begins at $2500.00 and goes up from there. If interested please e-mail us.

2b) Since this is a chartity, again, with the purpose of raising funds, and this is a 50 hr event with another goal of breaking a record, is there a limit to the quantity (attendees with multiple requests) that can be obtained? That really depends on the crowd at the time. John says he is willing to do up to 2 sketchs at a time but if there is no line at the time then it might be possible to get more done.

2c) Again, since this is a marathon, if at 3:30am on Saturday in the middle of this effort, and there are no more attendees, will he be continually sketching anyway and if there is one attendee and no line behind him or her, would, in order to both break the fund raising record and time duration one, he be open to doing a more lofty piece (for example a cover recreation for a $25,000 donation or something of a reasonably attractive scope?) See answers 2 a and b.

Thanks for clarifying the details to this event.I hope that helps.

So maybe you should ask the fellow board members what they would prefer.

a sketch and signing opportunity presented by DWC

or

NO sketch and signing opportunity at ALL.

Your choice.

Monopoly.jpghm