• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Greg Capullo Original Art?
2 2

181 posts in this topic

Not to speak for Dan, but I don't believe the "cough" in question was even directed at you. I believe it was more of a "I'll believe it when I see it" kind of thing directed at Capullo's website fully going online and offering original art. (shrug)

sorry guys I think I took it the wrong way. Whenever people ask me about this hobby the first thing I say is how great the people are involved in it. I guess I am the one who came off as an here. I am just going to watch what I say more carefully for now on. No worries. Sorry for the interruption. Well if Greg is going to be selling his art I for one cant wait. When I bought that spawn book some years back it was the first spawn art he ever sold and said it was a big decision for him but I guess things might have changed. I am going to watch out for that site. I would love to get me some more spawnie art =)))))

I'm extremely interested to see if he puts any Batman pages up. To my knowledge he hasn't specified what pages he'll be putting up whatsoever. And of course there's the pricing which remains a mystery. Should be interesting.

I'm extremely interested to see if he puts any Batman pages up. To my knowledge he hasn't specified what pages he'll be putting up whatsoever. And of course there's the pricing which remains a mystery. Should be interesting.

I'd love to see what the art looks like. If they are pencils only and inked blue lines it would be great to see the process.

*cough*

Sorry. I had something in my throat.

I didn't even read the thread when I posted that link to his new website, so it definitely wasn't directed towards anyone in this thread. Just thought it would be helpful to those interested in his artwork, like myself. Personally, I'd rather have the earlier (Batman) pages from Court of Owls, but Glapion inked over blueline...so I'm not really interested anymore. I might someday want a nice Miki page from Batman, but the latter stories have just been downright awful.

I would be very surprised if that website was for selling his original art. I doubt you will see much of if any of that. Probably more for promotion and blogging. I spend a lot of time on caf but not on message boards. What does *cough* mean?

He has directly stated on Twitter multiple times that he will be selling original art on the new site.

he has been announcing the sale of original art for 3 or 4 years now without actually doing it and the artists choice has a listing for Capullo/Miki batman pages that says coming soon.

http://www.theartistschoice.com/miki.html#BATMAN

Maybe he's a fan of Axl Rose?

Edited by Koa

He responded to me once...a year and a half ago or so, when I asked the price on the Batman #1 cover. He responded with "$50k".

I'm not sure if you can call that "luck" on my part. lol

That's complete insanity.

Still available on CAF:

http://www.comicartfans.com/gallerypiece.asp?piece=1058355

Those comments. lol

Normally fans are discreet in their commentary on artist pricing. You've really got to be an outlier to get that kind of reaction.

The comments are unsurprising, though I think some of the fears expressed ("Awesome cover! But if you don't want to sell it, don't sell it. $50k is a seriously dangerous number. If every artist out there sees that and starts asking those kinds of prices, it's really going to hurt availability for the fans. Even in the past decade the prices have skyrocketed, but this type of pricing has the ability to really, really hurt the market.") are silly. Pricing doesn't determine the market -- buyers determine the market. No buyer, no effect on the market.

I agree that this is probably just a smart way to avoid endless pricing/sales inquires from eager fans. He obviously wants to keep the piece, but he also knows what level of silly offer would change his mind.

So how silly is a 50k price? I'm asking because I really don't know. Not a lot of comps to compare it to. But I don't think it's unreasonable to suggest that this run on Batman is the best received in maybe 10 years or more? I'm not saying this fact alone warrents a 50k price tag necessarily, but I really doubt Capullo would have much problem selling the cover to this first issue for at least 20k, maybe 25. Still a very, very long way from 50k, but since someone here asked how crazy this price was in today's market, this is my 2 cents.

Scott

Has any comic art from 2000 sold near 50k? I'm a huge fan of Capullo but I'm not sure where he stand with comic fans in general. He doesn't get the same buzz as Joe Mad or J scott Campbell, Adam Hughes and some other artists of his generation

He responded to me once...a year and a half ago or so, when I asked the price on the Batman #1 cover. He responded with "$50k".

Still available on CAF:

Those comments. lol

Normally fans are discreet in their commentary on artist pricing. You've really got to be an outlier to get that kind of reaction.

The comments are unsurprising, though I think some of the fears expressed ("Awesome cover! But if you don't want to sell it, don't sell it. $50k is a seriously dangerous number. If every artist out there sees that and starts asking those kinds of prices, it's really going to hurt availability for the fans. Even in the past decade the prices have skyrocketed, but this type of pricing has the ability to really, really hurt the market.") are silly. Pricing doesn't determine the market -- buyers determine the market. No buyer, no effect on the market.

I agree that this is probably just a smart way to avoid endless pricing/sales inquires from eager fans. He obviously wants to keep the piece, but he also knows what level of silly offer would change his mind.

So how silly is a 50k price? I'm asking because I really don't know. Not a lot of comps to compare it to. But I don't think it's unreasonable to suggest that this run on Batman is the best received in maybe 10 years or more? I'm not saying this fact alone warrents a 50k price tag necessarily, but I really doubt Capullo would have much problem selling the cover to this first issue for at least 20k, maybe 25. Still a very, very long way from 50k, but since someone here asked how crazy this price was in today's market, this is my 2 cents.

Scott

Has any comic art from 2000 sold near 50k? I'm a huge fan of Capullo but I'm not sure where he stand with comic fans in general. He doesn't get the same buzz as Joe Mad or J scott Campbell, Adam Hughes and some other artists of his generation

Yes. There have been examples of art produced since 2000 that has sold for over 50k. But it is rare.

Scott

If an artist wants to retain his art to create a demand and price structure there is a balance to be made. Let too much out and the control is lost and the free market supply/demand curve starts to set the price. Don't let enough out and the buying public doesn't have enough info to make an informed decision.

Is $50K too much for a cover? Is $10K closer to what the market will pay? I don't know (shrug) .

I won't tell him what he should do, but i think he'd do well to see how KJones has done. 2c (which coincidentally is my OA budget as well :shy: )

Still available on CAF:

Those comments. lol

Scott

Yes. There have been examples of art produced since 2000 that has sold for over 50k. But it is rare.

Scott

In that case maybe it's not so crazy. As you've pointed out his run on Batman has been very well received. If it were me I'd go for something a bit more vintage at that price though.

If an artist wants to retain his art to create a demand and price structure there is a balance to be made. Let too much out and the control is lost and the free market supply/demand curve starts to set the price. Don't let enough out and the buying public doesn't have enough info to make an informed decision.

I think the free market always sets the price. Artists generally have relatively little control over the prices their work fetches (I know lots of artists and painters, and this is an enduring source of deep frustration). I think what you're getting at is if there is more supply than there is demand, then work will go unsold, and any art that is unremarkable will likely fetch less. But many of these pieces of OA, like the cover in question, are unique and specific. If there is no real equivalent, then the market can't be saturated.

Hi everyone,

I am a new member of this site.

I do not know if this is the right thread, but I would like to get more detailed information about an original drawing by Greg Capullo.

I've got an original comic strip of Violator # 3 (Image Comics 1994) penciled by Capullo and inked by Mark Pennington, of which I need to figure out what value could have, in case i decide to sell it. It's an inside page, depicting Spawn, Youngblood and Mr. Twistelli.

Measures of the sheet are approximately 11"x17" .

I've got some pics to post if it helps.

Thanks in advance for your help.

Edited by DrManhattan

Hi everyone,

I am a new member of this site.

I do not know if this is the right thread, but I would like to get more detailed information about an original drawing by Greg Capullo.

I've got an original comic strip of Violator # 3 (Image Comics 1994) penciled by Capullo and inked by Mark Pennington, of which I need to figure out what value could have, in case i decide to sell it. It's an inside page, depicting Spawn, WildCATS (?) and Mr. Twistelli.

Measures of the sheet are approximately 11"x17" .

I've got some pics to post if it helps.

Thanks in advance for your help.

What is the page number? Picture of the page would help.

The Heritage Auction Archive has two listings for Capullo Violator:

1) The OA for a Wizard Cover sold for about $2200 in 2013

2) The OA for a trading card sold for about $500 in 2013

Best guess? Something to the low end of that range, but I have no idea how easy it might be to find the buyer.

The Wizard cover in HA went cheap. I know I wanted to bid on it and forgot about it. It was in one of those groups at the end of a whole auction. Basically where they put the stuff they dont think will do so well. I think it should have been included in the main event. The card art is small and very loosely drawn. That is a terrible example. You have a great page. Most anyone I know would ask at least 1500 for this page. Put it on ebay and find out. I would be surprised if it did more. You have a great shot of spawn,chapel,and tony twist with youngblood. The only think keeping this piece from being worth several thousand dollars is it is inked my Pennington. Good luck with the sale. There was a time I would have bought this from you in a heartbeat.

thanks,

Matthew