• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Advice on a Detective Comics #31 Coverless

49 posts in this topic

Hi everyone,

Thanks to Richard at Bedrock, I am about to be the proud owner of a coverless, but complete and unrestored copy of 'Tec #31. As you can see, the back cover has a piece ripped, but it is complete. Should I send to CGC so I can get a blue label NG? If i do, what do i do about the piece that comes with the book, but isn't attached? Thoughts? I appreciate the advice.

125169.jpg.5c8366699352857ef676f1075260c9f7.jpg

125170.jpg.e0f1ddcb3a7e9ca05df9edebbd58a3ce.jpg

If it were me I might leave it raw, but understand the appeal of CGC.

I also agree it might be risky to send to CGC as is, and I've never been a fan of adding tape, but in this particular instance it may be the only "safe" option to send into cgc perhaps.

Maybe add a "CGC Blue Label safe" piece of tape or two to the back page if you send into CGC? hm

Not that it is for sale, but what do people think is the FMV? If the rule of thumb for a coverless is 1/3 of good and I think a 1.0 is generally around 10k, does this sound right? I don't know what to make of the 1.5 that sold on eBay for 25k not long ago.

There have been several high end tecs like 29,31,33 sell in the 1000-1500 range. That seems to be the norm on a higher end copy.

Could be more or less depending on the day, page quality and issues. You got a nice book, but that loose page hurts.

James G

Not that it is for sale, but what do people think is the FMV? If the rule of thumb for a coverless is 1/3 of good and I think a 1.0 is generally around 10k, does this sound right? I don't know what to make of the 1.5 that sold on eBay for 25k not long ago.

real world a 1.0 is a $5K book... don't even consider that 1.5 "sale" (thumbs u

I apologize for a slightly off-topic question…

As an italian, I still have to get accustomed to this "phobia" concerning repairs.

I do not mean "professional" or "amateur" restoration properly intended, which clearly alters the book quality, but just a conservative reparation, to avoid damaging furtherly books which are either too worn, torn or delicate.

I find weird that CGC, considered it was a common practice, does not give a "restored" label to low grade comics with moderate amounts of tape.

Otherwise I seem to get it tends to be sensitive about conservation/archival tape, or the like.

I mean, plastic tape is the worst thing you can do to a book or a comic, since glue goes all into the comic, and after many years it really damages the book.

But I seem to get moderate tape gets a "blue" label, and I wonder which is the rationale behind all this. hm

Personally, no matter the value, but if see a book risks serious damage at least I try to seal tears, with archival tape or the like (especially if tears do not extend within the printed page).

I apologize for a slightly off-topic question…

As an italian, I still have to get accustomed to this "phobia" concerning repairs.

I do not mean "professional" or "amateur" restoration properly intended, which clearly alters the book quality, but just a conservative reparation, to avoid damaging furtherly books which are either too worn, torn or delicate.

I find weird that CGC, considered it was a common practice, does not give a "restored" label to low grade comics with moderate amounts of tape.

Otherwise I seem to get it tends to be sensitive about conservation/archival tape, or the like.

I mean, plastic tape is the worst thing you can do to a book or a comic, since glue goes all into the comic, and after many years it really damages the book.

But I seem to get moderate tape gets a "blue" label, and I wonder which is the rationale behind all this. hm

Personally, no matter the value, but if see a book risks serious damage at least I try to seal tears, with archival tape or the like (especially if tears do not extend within the printed page).

People have "phobias" about all sorts of things. There are people who would agree with you that plastic tape is far worse than a professional museum-quality non-acidic tear seal. And it could be said that, too, is a phobia. Some people have phobias about dust shadows or rusted staples, etc. But the way CGC grades those defects is, generally, to note them simply as defects. That way, the price effect of those phobias is limited mostly to the people who naturally have phobias to those defects in the first place.

The problem is that CGC's purple label, along with the statement on the label that restored books are worth "considerably less," greatly exacerbates the effect of the phobia for defects that are considered to be have been done "intentionally" as opposed to "accidentally." effectively magnifiying the phobia beyond what it would be if the "resto" were considered defects and the books were graded based on those defects and not on it's appearnace (which is, effectively, how CGC grades everthing else) . That has led to people avoiding books in purple label whether or not they would have, personally, had a phobia against that work, otherwis. Basically it makes people have a phobia against the purple label itself, even when a book with identical defects (also caused "intentionally") are on a book, but the book nonetheless has a blue label. It's one area in which CGC's service identifies not the extent of a defect but an emotional reaction -- or a phobia -- as to how a defect got there.

There are people who would agree with you that plastic tape is far worse than a professional museum-quality non-acidic tear seal. And it could be said that, too, is a phobia.

Hehee, I don’t know what GLODS and PLODS are, but I object the above quoted part of the otherwise very reasonable observations by bluechip: a non-acidic paper or fiber-based tape (or whatever thing which does not employ plastic and low-cost glue) is less damaging than plastic tape. Someone may prefer tape (possibly applied in the 1940s) but it‘s just a feeling, so he can’t argue about my factual observation as being a "phobia". :)

Not that it is for sale, but what do people think is the FMV?

I sold a coverless 31 very recently for $1500. It also had a very large tear on the back page...

...and the piece is loose...

...and the scans look familiar... :o

...and the buyer was a boardie... hm

:idea: ...hey, great book!!! (thumbs u

Not that it is for sale, but what do people think is the FMV?

I sold a coverless 31 very recently for $1500. It also had a very large tear on the back page...

...and the piece is loose...

...and the scans look familiar... :o

...and the buyer was a boardie... hm

:idea: ...hey, great book!!! (thumbs u

I would have thought that a coverless 29,31 would have been over 2K so i guess thats a great deal

Yeah, it was a cash and trade deal equaling about $2300, I was the one who bought it. I traded a 1.0 TOS #39 and a 1.0 JIM #83 plus boot. I figured I could always get those comics again down the road if I wanted, but it would be MUCH harder to get a TEC #29 later if I passed it up.