• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Advice on a Detective Comics #31 Coverless

49 posts in this topic

I think you mean the Tec 33 CGC .5 that sold for $4,800.

http://www.comiclink.com/itemdetail.asp?back=%2Fsearch.asp%3Fwhere%3Dsell%26title%3Ddetective%2Bcomics%26x%3D0%26y%3D0%26ItemType%3DCB&id=924724

Back in October there was a Tec 31 CGC 1.0 on ebay:

http://boards.collectors-society.com/ubbthreads.php?ubb=showflat&Number=5149447&fpart=2

The Tec 31 CGC 1.0 was bid up to $8,500 before it was pulled and then sold off eBay, so we have to assume the seller got much more than the $8,500 for them to pull it and sell.

I'm a Tec "bull" but even I thought that was crazy at the time. The problem is you hardly ever see Tec 31's in the entry range, that was the only 1.0 seen publicly in years. So demand might go crazy when one comes to market, hard to tell.

I think its safe to say a Tec 31 CGC'd Blue 1.0 could fetch $8,000 or more if sold publicly today.

I think you mean the Tec 33 CGC .5 that sold for $4,800.

http://www.comiclink.com/itemdetail.asp?back=%2Fsearch.asp%3Fwhere%3Dsell%26title%3Ddetective%2Bcomics%26x%3D0%26y%3D0%26ItemType%3DCB&id=924724

Back in October there was a Tec 31 CGC 1.0 on ebay:

http://boards.collectors-society.com/ubbthreads.php?ubb=showflat&Number=5149447&fpart=2

The Tec 31 CGC 1.0 was bid up to $8,500 before it was pulled and then sold off eBay, so we have to assume the seller got much more than the $8,500 for them to pull it and sell.

I'm a Tec "bull" but even I thought that was crazy at the time. The problem is you hardly ever see Tec 31's in the entry range, that was the only 1.0 seen publicly in years. So demand might go crazy when one comes to market, hard to tell.

I think its safe to say a Tec 31 CGC'd Blue 1.0 could fetch $8,000 or more if sold publicly today.

I recalled Heritage sold a 31 .5 SS with brittle pages for over $5K last year. I agree $8K+ for a 1.0 is achievable. I bet there are a handful of folks that will go after a complete low grade.

I apologize for a slightly off-topic question…

As an italian, I still have to get accustomed to this "phobia" concerning repairs.

I do not mean "professional" or "amateur" restoration properly intended, which clearly alters the book quality, but just a conservative reparation, to avoid damaging furtherly books which are either too worn, torn or delicate.

I did not take the OP's question to be about conservative reparation. I took it to mean he was looking for a convenient fix using generally available tape... which is always harmful to paper over time. This is not a "phobia" (by way of a clinical definition); there's a real direct cause and effect. Even until recently archival tape was no better in safety and reversibility than common tape.

If the OP wants to go the conservation route, there is always Japan paper for mending and reinforcement and wheat paste, methylcellulose, etc. for the adhesive. The repair will be "nearly invisible" which means the tissue is opaque. If the coverage is across art and lettering, they may be obstructed. Some have recommended a ready-to-use tissue made by Lineco called Document Repair Tape. Personally I've never used DRT and can't vouch for it.

Yeah, it was a cash and trade deal equaling about $2300, I was the one who bought it. I traded a 1.0 TOS #39 and a 1.0 JIM #83 plus boot. I figured I could always get those comics again down the road if I wanted, but it would be MUCH harder to get a TEC #29 later if I passed it up.

+1

I think we're gonna be installing a revolving door at the entrance of the Pre-Robin Tec Club, just for a certain boardie...he's in...he's out again...

I did not take the OP's question to be about conservative reparation. I took it to mean he was looking for a convenient fix using generally available tape... which is always harmful to paper over time. This is not a "phobia" (by way of a clinical definition); there's a real direct cause and effect. Even until recently archival tape was no better in safety and reversibility than common tape.

If the OP wants to go the conservation route, there is always Japan paper for mending and reinforcement and wheat paste, methylcellulose, etc. for the adhesive. The repair will be "nearly invisible" which means the tissue is opaque. If the coverage is across art and lettering, they may be obstructed. Some have recommended a ready-to-use tissue made by Lineco called Document Repair Tape. Personally I've never used DRT and can't vouch for it.

Hi, thanks for the reply. I meant the same thing, using "phobia" to let me be understood (sorry, but I fall short my english vocabulary very often!), and that’s precisely what I tried to object in my second post: "there's a real direct cause and effect". Of course you’re right about tape, but now I’m even more confused.

e.g. I do not get what you mean by "conservative reparation" as opposed to a "fix usin generally available tape".

I generally use Filmoplast P (very moderately) for my italian "golden age time equivalents" comics if they are too worn out or have tears because of which I am scared to handle them.

With american comic books I have become sensitive, since it seems a wrong move will ruin your book, which I honestly think is not the case as long as I am carefully attempting just to keep it from falling apart.

I specify I am not talking of thousand dollars books, but let’s say books in the 100-500USD price range, but again, this makes me uneasy. :)

I apologize for a slightly off-topic question…

As an italian, I still have to get accustomed to this "phobia" concerning repairs.

I do not mean "professional" or "amateur" restoration properly intended, which clearly alters the book quality, but just a conservative reparation, to avoid damaging furtherly books which are either too worn, torn or delicate.

You're correct that the word "phobia" is not being used in a strict clinical sense. It is apt in this discussion because, in the world of comics, the words "restoration" and "conservation" and "defects" are not always used according to how they are understood by the average person who speaks English as their first language -- let alone by people to whom English is a second or third language.

Some people misuse the word "restoration" to describe anything done to a comic they simply don't approve of. And, thus, people who don't understand that tend to think that all "restored" comics, by definition, have been made to appear far more presentable than they are. In most instances that is not the case at all, yet because of that misuse of the word you see people calling a book restored if part of the cover has been removed (via trimming) and calling it "unrestored" if a color touched corner has been torn away. You see people calling a book valueless is there is glue or a tiny dot of color touch and it's in a purple label, while exectly the same book, with the same glue and color touch, is considered several times as valuable if it's simply in a blue label -- with the words describing the glue and/or color touch plainly marked on the label. You see books being called an "apparent poor," as if it was somehow in worse condition before it was "restored." And you see people saying a book's value has been "destroyed" if it has a tiny bit of color touch, while at the same time placing far greater value on another book that doesn't have the color touch but instead has deliberately defacing pen scribbles all over the focal points of the cover. It makes little sense to the rational among us who have mastered English and spoken it all our lives. So it's no surprise to me that someone who speaks English as a second language would be confused.

what we have to keep in mind on FMV is that not all "0.5 and 1.0" are created equal... the visual appeal, the downgrading defects etc, all lend to an enormous gulf between high and low FMV (thumbs u

I know it's a long shot to hell, but do just the covers of pre-Robin TECS ever come up for sale anywhere? I have this dream that one day I'll find a real cover for my TEC #29....... :insane:

Get in line cause if i ever see one im paying stupid money for it lol

I know it's a long shot to hell, but do just the covers of pre-Robin TECS ever come up for sale anywhere? I have this dream that one day I'll find a real cover for my TEC #29....... :insane:

Well if you get a full cover I'll gladly take your 3/4 cover off your hands! :headbang:

Hi, thanks for the reply. I meant the same thing, using "phobia" to let me be understood (sorry, but I fall short my english vocabulary very often!), and that’s precisely what I tried to object in my second post: "there's a real direct cause and effect". Of course you’re right about tape, but now I’m even more confused.

e.g. I do not get what you mean by "conservative reparation" as opposed to a "fix usin generally available tape".

I generally use Filmoplast P (very moderately) for my italian "golden age time equivalents" comics if they are too worn out or have tears because of which I am scared to handle them.

With american comic books I have become sensitive, since it seems a wrong move will ruin your book, which I honestly think is not the case as long as I am carefully attempting just to keep it from falling apart.

I specify I am not talking of thousand dollars books, but let’s say books in the 100-500USD price range, but again, this makes me uneasy. :)

Yo! (that's a Stallone yo for you),

"Fix using generally available tape" means the common household tape sold in U.S. supermarkets, drug stores, and PX's. These would be your transparent cellophane tape ("Scotch tape") or masking tape that kids use to tape up their comic books without realizing their harmful effects. To this day many use these same tapes for repairs. "Conservative reparation" is your terminology. I assume you meant the same as conservation. I was trying to point out the OP's original intent was one of convenience to get his page slabbed, not necessarily with conservation goals. So he would have used easy to find tape: cellophane, masking...maybe even duct tape. That's what was running through my mind when I wrote "DO NOT TAPE IT."

I am sure Filmoplast is available in the U.S., but it would have to be special ordered and only through a select stationery or library supply house. I don't use Filmoplast myself because of the fixed widths, and the mechanical stress on large and brittle paper. Also there has been some reported quality control issues where the tape was tested to be acidic (possibly from the tape's backing over time) when it was supposed to be acid-free; this would make me leery of using the product.

Well if you get a full cover I'll gladly take your 3/4 cover off your hands! :headbang:

I can take the cover off my copy and sell to you for $25k :grin:

That works for me. (thumbs u

:o:o:o

Be patient. Over time everything turns up on eBay or at small estate auctions. I've seen covers to Tec 35, Tec 36, and most recently covers to Tec 37.

I was fortunate to grab these covers myself.

BatCovers.jpg

:o:o:o

Be patient. Over time everything turns up on eBay or at small estate auctions. I've seen covers to Tec 35, Tec 36, and most recently covers to Tec 37.

I was fortunate to grab these covers myself.

BatCovers.jpg

Where'd you find that?

I said stupid money so ill give you 30K