• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

OT - slabbing music CDs...

43 posts in this topic

Just wondering if anyone had ever heard anything about the possibility of encapsulating CDs? I know it would seem strange to encase a CD when it should be listened to, but then again comics 'should' be read and video games 'should' be played with. Given the amount of limited edition CDs that come out - especially in the soundtrack market - I would think collectors of sealed copies would want a service like this. Any thoughts?

Cheers

I actually have a large vintage video game collection, but never felt compelled to grade any of them (shrug) I like to play my old games :banana:

+1 i like the idea of graded games but id end up freeing the game and playin it

Really? :facepalm:

Ask any experienced AV tech: in general, mass-produced, consumer-grade CD players are not worth the cost to repair them (even if they CAN be repaired, which isn't always the case). So...with CDs rapidly becoming an antiquated and obsolete medium for transmitting recorded music (my local Best Buy now has several $2-$4 bins FULL of close-out audio CDs), how long will it be before the players aren't worth manufacturing either?

Just wondering if anyone had ever heard anything about the possibility of encapsulating CDs? I know it would seem strange to encase a CD when it should be listened to, but then again comics 'should' be read and video games 'should' be played with. Given the amount of limited edition CDs that come out - especially in the soundtrack market - I would think collectors of sealed copies would want a service like this. Any thoughts?

BagsUnlimited has pretty nice frame kits for CDs. They also have corrosion intercept materials to slow down the chemical degradation of the materials that make up the disc.

Personally I prefer to display vinyl records since they're bigger and thus present the artwork more impressively.

So, what are the soundtracks you're thinking of encapsulating? You mention soundtracks which is an area I am very interested in.

Cheers

Interesting idea, but how about slabing vinyl records I have the first US Beatles album that would be great to slab :headbang:

I think the whole slabbing trend is in danger of disapearing up it's own posterior!

Why draw the line at comics or maybe CDs?

Why not slab that classic car you own or those really expensive trainers you bought?

You think that your firstborn is pretty unique and "priceless" then why not encase little "Jack" or "Jill" in clear plastic and keep them in "Mint" condition.

I finding the fascination/obsession that some boarders have with encapsulation truly terrifying, but hey that's just my 2c

Ask any experienced AV tech: in general, mass-produced, consumer-grade CD players are not worth the cost to repair them (even if they CAN be repaired, which isn't always the case). So...with CDs rapidly becoming an antiquated and obsolete medium for transmitting recorded music (my local Best Buy now has several $2-$4 bins FULL of close-out audio CDs), how long will it be before the players aren't worth manufacturing either?

You're right, but I am amazed at what dead media players in working condition sell for on ebay and craigslist right now. I'm talking betamax, certain laserdisc players, CED players, etc..

There are definitely dead media collectors, and some old media types, especially stuff that has never been converted to DVD carry hefty price tags.

You're right, but I am amazed at what dead media players in working condition sell for on ebay and craigslist right now. I'm talking betamax, certain laserdisc players, CED players, etc..

There are definitely dead media collectors, and some old media types, especially stuff that has never been converted to DVD carry hefty price tags.

Yeah, that's true. But of course "working condition" is the key. And those are a dying breed.

In the end, there will be a few high-end manufacturers producing audiophile CD players for people who want them, and are willing to shuck out big bucks in order to keep listening to their CDs (which are also slowly degrading...another story entirely!). But the mass-produced black-box cheapies will be long-gone by then.

Stay away from my records... :sumo:

Vinyl LPs are already heavy enough as it is! Can you imagine what a milk-crate or two full of them in hard plastic slabs would weigh? NO THANKS!

I did my back carting crates of those things up and down stairs into venues in the 90s. Very heavy indeed.

So, what are the soundtracks you're thinking of encapsulating? You mention soundtracks which is an area I am very interested in.

I have some perfect sealed copies - for example a Psycho II from Varese still sealed in longbox, Alain Delon 'Big Guns' (quite rare Easy Tempo release still sealed) plus some Corman/Poe/Price favourites such as Haunted Palace and the Citadel release of Cry of the Banshee/Evening of E A Poe etc. One of my favourites is a sealed disc of The Night Stalker + other music from Dan Curtis horror movies. I'm not sure about slabbing, but if a service existed I would probably encapsulate a few of my favourites that I would leave sealed in any case.