• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

OT - slabbing music CDs...

43 posts in this topic

So, what are the soundtracks you're thinking of encapsulating? You mention soundtracks which is an area I am very interested in.

I have some perfect sealed copies - for example a Psycho II from Varese still sealed in longbox, Alain Delon 'Big Guns' (quite rare Easy Tempo release still sealed) plus some Corman/Poe/Price favourites such as Haunted Palace and the Citadel release of Cry of the Banshee/Evening of E A Poe etc. One of my favourites is a sealed disc of The Night Stalker + other music from Dan Curtis horror movies. I'm not sure about slabbing, but if a service existed I would probably encapsulate a few of my favourites that I would leave sealed in any case.

Genuine question...why?

You're right, but I am amazed at what dead media players in working condition sell for on ebay and craigslist right now. I'm talking betamax, certain laserdisc players, CED players, etc..

They'll end up slabbing the media players :idea:lol

So, what are the soundtracks you're thinking of encapsulating? You mention soundtracks which is an area I am very interested in.

I have some perfect sealed copies - for example a Psycho II from Varese still sealed in longbox, Alain Delon 'Big Guns' (quite rare Easy Tempo release still sealed) plus some Corman/Poe/Price favourites such as Haunted Palace and the Citadel release of Cry of the Banshee/Evening of E A Poe etc. One of my favourites is a sealed disc of The Night Stalker + other music from Dan Curtis horror movies. I'm not sure about slabbing, but if a service existed I would probably encapsulate a few of my favourites that I would leave sealed in any case.

Genuine question...why?

Not sure really - just like I like to have some favourite comics or magazines slabbed also. Trophy hunting I guess :) Maybe to increase value at some point - if the time comes to sell. Not sure I would really go there with CD slabbing actually - I was just curious as to why there was no service given that one exists for comics, cards, video games and action figures. I couldn't find any discussion about it on the Internet either.

Genuine question...why?

Not sure really - just like I like to have some favourite comics or magazines slabbed also. Trophy hunting I guess :) Maybe to increase value at some point - if the time comes to sell. Not sure I would really go there with CD slabbing actually - I was just curious as to why there was no service given that one exists for comics, cards, video games and action figures. I couldn't find any discussion about it on the Internet either.

Fair enough! :)

At a push I could that there could be a demand for a service that slabbed "out of print" CDs and DVDs but unlike with a comic books or magazines the grader would have to sit through the Album/Movie before being able to assign a grade!

Could become quite time consuming hm

I've got a tonne of CDs and DVDs that would fir the bill

How about "slabbing" film posters then?

Why not slab that classic car you own or those really expensive trainers you bought? You think that your firstborn is pretty unique and "priceless" then why not encase little "Jack" or "Jill" in clear plastic and keep them in "Mint" condition.

You have to admit, Laura Palmer from "Twin Peaks" looks pretty cool when encapsulated.

125220.jpg.d505eb561f788f9eead1101b06ee1958.jpg

Wow! I love me some Jerry Goldsmith... And I have a bunch of Easy Tempo CD's and love 'em, along with Italian Cinecetta soundtracks and so on. I suggest getting LP frame kits and displaying your favorites. Speaking of Edgar Allen Poe, I have on display one of my favorite "Living Stereo" records, a '50s disc called "Poe for Moderns" with a beautiful cover.

Why not slab that classic car you own or those really expensive trainers you bought? You think that your firstborn is pretty unique and "priceless" then why not encase little "Jack" or "Jill" in clear plastic and keep them in "Mint" condition.

You have to admit, Laura Palmer from "Twin Peaks" looks pretty cool when encapsulated.

lollol

It makes sense that if there is a slabbed video game market that eventually it would encompass rare albums, cassettes, cds etc. The company doing the grading would have to have one hell of a database to keep track of all that though, since there is so many different kinds of media music has been released on.

It makes sense that if there is a slabbed video game market that eventually it would encompass rare albums, cassettes, cds etc. ...

If it were ever to occur, slabbing a pre-recorded commercial audiocassette--already an almost completely worthless, valueless, and useless item if ever there was one--would prove beyond the shadow of any doubt that, as Dave Marsh put it, "Elvis Presley and Alan Freed didn't make a damn bit of difference...and there's one born every minute."

I'm not sure about slabbing the actual album/cd, but if the cover/booklet were autographed by the artist/performer, I could see it. Maybe more for authentication & preservation purposes than grade.

Really? :facepalm:

Ask any experienced AV tech: in general, mass-produced, consumer-grade CD players are not worth the cost to repair them (even if they CAN be repaired, which isn't always the case). So...with CDs rapidly becoming an antiquated and obsolete medium for transmitting recorded music (my local Best Buy now has several $2-$4 bins FULL of close-out audio CDs), how long will it be before the players aren't worth manufacturing either?

Dedicated CD players I can see eventually joining VHS players, but DVD players, including Blu-Ray, can play audio CDs. More and more have home theater system. If they already have a DVD player then they have no need for a dedicated CD player.

I can't ever see a market for slabbed CDs or vinyl. I was a record collector for years and know more friends than I can count who still are and/or work in or own record stores. It’s a completely different mindset than comic folks, plus the primary focus of everybody I know is to collect music because they want to listen to it. Collecting music doesn’t have the nostalgia-driven component that collecting comics or video games have.

By the way, here are some records I've had framed. Still need to figure out where to put them up (renovating living quarters so decorations are on hold). For price and simplicity, the best record frames I've found have been the ones sold by Michael's .

Album covers like these make scouring thrift-store bins worthwhile.Occasionally you can find this stuff for $1 a pop. The music is cool too. I run the turntable output into the computer and digitally record it.

125225.jpg.27336668ad420b7d976877f74edbc919.jpg

125226.jpg.24f1ed648c11c81e424124a955037b68.jpg

Roger Dean Album Covers and the greatest Welsh band EVER! :cloud9:

I don't know Budgie....what album is a good place to start? Those are all frame-worthy covers.

Well their best known album is probably "Never Turn Your Back On A Friend" which includes the track Breadfan which has been covered by Metallica amongst others.

In fact the first four albums are all great hard rock record.

Budgie (1971)

Squawk (1972)

Never Turn Your Back On A Friend (1973)

In For The Kill (1974)

The majority of Budgie records have Roger Deane styled covers! (thumbs u

Roger Dean Album Covers and the greatest Welsh band EVER! :cloud9:

I don't know Budgie....what album is a good place to start? Those are all frame-worthy covers.

Well their best known album is probably "Never Turn Your Back On A Friend" which includes the track Breadfan which has been covered by Metallica amongst others.

In fact the first four albums are all great hard rock record.

Budgie (1971)

Squawk (1972)

Never Turn Your Back On A Friend (1973)

In For The Kill (1974)

The majority of Budgie records have Roger Deane styled covers! (thumbs u

Cool I'll give them a try!