• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Hey n00bs: It really is a great hobby!

19 posts in this topic

There has been a lot of negativity on the boards lately, and at the same time I'm seeing a lot single digit posters - most of whom were attracted by Matt Slay's recent turtle work.

Some of the negativity has been from me, so don't think I'm sitting on a high horse.

The fact of the matter is comic collecting, signature hunting and art hording are great hobbies with great people. When I first joined the CGC board I noticed a lot of negativity and bad attitudes. Honestly, I think it's just an internet thing. I say that because I went to my first convention, NYCC last year and I met a number of people from the boards. They were all nice as can be, and hell, they weren't even nerdy like I expected. Just regular guys I would drink beer and watch football (or hockey, eh Roy?) with.

I've done business with Matt Slay's rep a few times, no problems. I'm waiting on a fantastically done Segovia sketch from Mike (Mr. Mylar) and I've had zero problems from him with communication. I met Mike at NYCC and he is a top notch, great guy to deal with. GODOFTHUNDER has rep'd many, many ops and continues to do business because he delivers. I've done multiple sells and buys of comics in the sales forums, and I would gladly do business with any one of them again.

The point of all this is you shouldn't let the negativity discourage you, my own included. Joining the CGC board was the best thing I ever did as a new collector. I've scoured the net looking for a comic site that is as good. Hands down when it comes to learning and expanding your horizons, no comic forum even comes close. If it wasn't for this site I wouldn't have expanded into signature series, sketch covers and original art. And boy would I have missed out!

I'm assuming that my first post may have been one that caught your eye. I appreciate your post.

Rest assured, I'm not a "noob." I've been in the hobby tangentially for years, and was lurking for awhile here. I have been wanting to work on my grading skills, and this was a good place to do that in the "Spare a Grade" subforum. I'm much, much better than I was even 6 months ago.

I noticed the SS subforum, and was poking around there, when I saw the sketch opp for the Turtles. I liked his style, and the work being put out was really nice. . . just so happens, I wanted to pick up some things for my nephews, and that hit the spot.

Perhaps, I should formally introduce myself.

I'm assuming that my first post may have been one that caught your eye. I appreciate your post.

Rest assured, I'm not a "noob." I've been in the hobby tangentially for years, and was lurking for awhile here. I have been wanting to work on my grading skills, and this was a good place to do that in the "Spare a Grade" subforum. I'm much, much better than I was even 6 months ago.

I noticed the SS subforum, and was poking around there, when I saw the sketch opp for the Turtles. I liked his style, and the work being put out was really nice. . . just so happens, I wanted to pick up some things for my nephews, and that hit the spot.

You're not the only new person I was referring to, but yes.

And by the way, I was being facetious in my use of the term "n00b," so please don't take that in a condescending way. Obviously someone can be completely new to the forum and still have a vast amount of knowledge and experience.

You're not the only new person I was referring to, but yes.

And by the way, I was being facetious in my use of the term "n00b," so please don't take that in a condescending way. Obviously someone can be completely new to the forum and still have a vast amount of knowledge and experience.

No worries! I didn't take it that way. Besides, I've moderated sites for over 6 years. It takes a lot to make me even raise an eyebrow.

There has been a lot of negativity on the boards lately, and at the same time I'm seeing a lot single digit posters - most of whom were attracted by Matt Slay's recent turtle work.

Some of the negativity has been from me, so don't think I'm sitting on a high horse.

The fact of the matter is comic collecting, signature hunting and art hording are great hobbies with great people. When I first joined the CGC board I noticed a lot of negativity and bad attitudes. Honestly, I think it's just an internet thing. I say that because I went to my first convention, NYCC last year and I met a number of people from the boards. They were all nice as can be, and hell, they weren't even nerdy like I expected. Just regular guys I would drink beer and watch football (or hockey, eh Roy?) with.

I've done business with Matt Slay's rep a few times, no problems. I'm waiting on a fantastically done Segovia sketch from Mike (Mr. Mylar) and I've had zero problems from him with communication. I met Mike at NYCC and he is a top notch, great guy to deal with. GODOFTHUNDER has rep'd many, many ops and continues to do business because he delivers. I've done multiple sells and buys of comics in the sales forums, and I would gladly do business with any one of them again.

The point of all this is you shouldn't let the negativity discourage you, my own included. Joining the CGC board was the best thing I ever did as a new collector. I've scoured the net looking for a comic site that is as good. Hands down when it comes to learning and expanding your horizons, no comic forum even comes close. If it wasn't for this site I wouldn't have expanded into signature series, sketch covers and original art. And boy would I have missed out!

So true.. It's definitely an internet thing :applause:

I've had many experiences with buying and selling on here and the boardies that I have dealt with have always been nothing but professional, polite and more than willing to help with ANYTHING. It's also the best thing I have ever done regarding comic collecting... Well said (thumbs u

Forget all this "kiss, kiss, hug, hug" nonsense! Let's get back to the :slapfight:

USArmyParatrooper, my comics are better than yours. Period.

I win :sumo:

:jokealert:

Seriously, I love when people start threads like this because it reminds us of why we love the hobby and love this forum.

Don't let the negativity of some deter you from contributing. This is a great place with great people.

Paratrooper, what do you collect?

Paratrooper, what do you collect?

Grrrr... every time I think I've zeroed in on a focus I get pulled a different direction. I recently picked up a copy of TMNT 1 First Print thinking I was going to start working on a complete volume 1.

I don't even remember how, but I recently got sucked into Original Art (see sig.)

All throughout I've been fan of Signature Series and sketch covers.