• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

OO collection part 2

110 posts in this topic

Wow, what a find. That is just killer.

I saw the Sparkle City announcement and then I saw your pic and immediately put 2 and 2 together.

Congrats!

The Original Owners daughter is a good friend of mine and she is still going through stuff.

Who knows what we will find. But I'm going back for certain.

toys.jpg

Lots of people know me sure, I go way back with upstanding members like ciorac. :grin:

When it was easier on the pocket book. :cloud9:

I've been selling for many years, selling GA for over 20, doing telephone auctions pre e-bay. Did PCE. Been on e-bay for about 15 years. I like to think I'm a good guy.

But not everyone knows me and a flat price seemed out of the question. Archie 1 is a book where it's hard to establish what it will do. (I think the last one was a 3.5 c/ow that sold for over 20K)

Then on e-bay, my feedback is only 3-400 hundred. I think when larger sums of money are changing hands, a bigger dealer/auction house might be wiser to handle the transaction. You DO get people bidding you might not otherwise get. It also really seemed a perfect fit with the other great books.

For me these are some of the best types of threads. I've started a couple of these type threads in the past.

So cool to see this original owner stuff. Show some more toys when you get a chance.

Good luck on finding more.

Just out of curiosity -- why go through Sparkle City? Why not sell them yourself? Not a rhetorical question, just curious what the advantages are.

They've done surprisingly well with some of their ebay auctions. No one else is selling quality stuff at $1 starting bids and they advertize pretty well.

I LOVE Halloween stuff. They had some vintage noise makers, but not much else so far.

Tons of old X-mas stuff. I mean boxes and boxes and boxes....

Lots of toy guns. About a dozen.

I would have soiled my pantaloons when I saw that Archie 1.

Har! Me too, Andy - it's such a great find.

I think this is worth showing again ... ARCHIE 1 (OO):

IdobeliveIhaveshatmypantaloons.jpg

Tons of old X-mas stuff.

I’d love to see those. :)

BTW, Rip, if there are still comics around, I’d love if some early National Comics would show up. I don’t recall if there were some in the first batch of comics you found.

How old did you say your friend's father (the owner) is? My father is from 1933 and although he did not use to read so much comics (and did not save the few he had, you know, post-war Italy wasn’t the best place to save "ephemera": we had to rebuild our country…) I am deeply indebted for the love for books & comics I developed.

He is 81. Nice guy I spoke to him on the phone. The family is from Italy.

They have lots of old Italian records.

His mom saved everything, especially after his father died.

His dad built the house in 1936. He was a short guy so I kept bumping my head on stuff.

The basement had different rooms and sections.

Hi Rip, thanks for the details. You mean they had older relatives originary from Italy or that your friend’s grandparents were actually italian?

Which kind of italian records? I’d love to know, but of course just in case…

If I recall correctly, Jack Kirby’s parents were immigrants themselves, austrian. Jack told me (but he has told it several times in interviews as well) he owed his storytelling heritage to his granparents and aunts, which used to tell him, as a child, tales from the old Europe.

This shows clearly in his work, which is very different from, say, Lou Fine or others which had different roots. Especially when the acknowledgment of the supernatural comes forth, like in Demon or in the Fourth World, but it was already there in the golden age Cap he did with Simon.

I am imagining what your friend‘s father would have been reading if he were in Italy at the time… ;)

Hi Rip, thanks for the details. You mean they had older relatives originary from Italy or that your friend’s grandparents were actually italian?

Which kind of italian records? I’d love to know, but of course just in case…

If I recall correctly, Jack Kirby’s parents were immigrants themselves, austrian. Jack told me (but he has told it several times in interviews as well) he owed his storytelling heritage to his granparents and aunts, which used to tell him, as a child, tales from the old Europe.

This shows clearly in his work, which is very different from, say, Lou Fine or others which had different roots. Especially when the acknowledgment of the supernatural comes forth, like in Demon or in the Fourth World, but it was already there in the golden age Cap he did with Simon.

I am imagining what your friend‘s father would have been reading if he were in Italy at the time… ;)

The OO's parents I believe were immigrants from Italy.

The records date from 1913 to the 60's? It's a few boxes.

Lots of Opera. It was super heavy to lift and take up the stairs. I think the daughter is going through those now.

They also have the old record player. I'll have her send me a picture.

Scott

That’s so fascinating… Guess how did they felt during the War.

Such a discovery, done in Italy, would be equally exciting (especially for the early 1940s) but would move lot less money. Most costly examples of collectibles are the earliest Disney story published in "standalone comic book form" (Topolino contro Wolp"), which could sell for some 10-20 thousands USD, or this early Brick Bradford album (from 1935):

23vb3f8.jpg

Very rare, but even italian own production never reach the value of certain comic books of the same time.

Plus, sellers aren’t grading-affordable. Or better: they won’t grade, since it may be more convenient to leave that to the buyer. It‘s a situation which would benefit from a grading-scale.