• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Captain America Comics #1 returned

92 posts in this topic

To be frank, I think there's a good chance this was actually someone you know. I've been very surprised by people over the years, which pretty much turned me into the cynical I am today.

From what you're telling us it sounds to me like that Cap 1 was specifically targeted. I'm not saying for sure it's someone you know, but at least keep an open mind.

+1

Sad to say, but this story sounds like someone may have had some inside knowledge.

To be frank, I think there's a good chance this was actually someone you know. I've been very surprised by people over the years, which pretty much turned me into the cynical I am today.

From what you're telling us it sounds to me like that Cap 1 was specifically targeted. I'm not saying for sure it's someone you know, but at least keep an open mind.

+1

Sad to say, but this story sounds like someone may have had some inside knowledge.

+2

Is it possible that you moved it when the workers were coming and simply forgot about it? I recently did just that. Had an AF #15 in my apartment and had some people coming over so I hid it. A couple of weeks later I realized it wasn't where it normally was and freaked out until I remembered that I'd moved it.

Is it possible that you moved it when the workers were coming and simply forgot about it? I recently did just that. Had an AF #15 in my apartment and had some people coming over so I hid it. A couple of weeks later I realized it wasn't where it normally was and freaked out until I remembered that I'd moved it.

Thanks very much. I thought of this too which is why after I cleaned everything, I had my wife relook thru everything that I just had. After that I had my son-in-law do the same thing. Still, it would be nice if you were right. Thanks again.

Thanks a lot for your opinion.

Now take a moment to understand mine.

Ask yourself - why hasn't Mark Haspel ever joined the boards?

Steve used to roll with the rest of us and actively post here. In fact, I'm pretty certain he would have at least acknowledged the loss of such an important book by posting, at minimum a "sorry to hear" in this thread.

I'm not saying they need to turn their super-sleuthing antanneas on high alert, or post pictures at every cubicle of their office, but even just something like "sorry we can't promise anything, but if something turns up, we'll let you know."

Instead the OP gets straight text-book talk on court orders, blah, blah, blah.

I don't blame Steve one bit for not spending as much time since he left, but bottom line is, when contentious topics hit the boards, he'd try to get on here and address our concerns.

Do you know that Steve actually called the store submitting my AF 15 to ask if I bought it from Danny-boy (I happened to be there when he called)? At that moment, that single act demonstrated to me this was an organization that truly cared about the hobby and collectors.

Is Mark too good to engage with customers? Too busy to talk shop or shoot the breeze every once in awhile?

The human touch point to this organization is nowhere to be found online, and rarely if ever found unless you see them at shows.

Some of the biggest brands on the continent recognize the importance of treating people like people, not like numbers.

Guys like Steve and Scott did this company a huge assist by doing what they did.

Only a drone would do the opposite and run the business after their departure like everyone is just a number on an invoice 2c

This is exactly how I feel about their actions on the graders notes as well. Your post would apply there as well.

I've met Steve Borock and I've met Mark Haspel. Two completely different personalities. Steve is extroverted, warm and nice....Mark on the other hand....well let's just say he fits the comic book collector stereotype much more than Steve.

CGC should be given a scan of the comic and if a comic came in that matches the scan...they should notify the authorities. Every comic has specific defects that can be identified just like a finger print. It's not crazy to think CGC can identify a comic that matches the defects and help the person who was robbed.

I hate the big company philosophy of treating customers like a number..."we care about your money and don't care about you". SAD

Also, contact CGC and let them know to flag any CAC #1's.

The folks at CGC say that they can't do anything without a court order so I will check on how to get one of those at the police department.

Thanks very much.

Thanks again for all of the help and adviice that everyone is giving me. I have filed a police report and the police have told me how to proceed to get a court order that the folks at CGC want.

If CGC had any sense, they would set up a data base where police reports of stolen comics, along with scans could be easily accessed. It would cost them little and buy them much good will.

If CGC had any sense

They don't, and if they do, it probably couldn't be traced without using an electron microscope.

Within the first few months of CGC opening its doors, I contacted Steve Eichenbaum trying to pitch a solution that would cover the full spectrum of insurance claims, police reports, etc.

I would build it, they would manage it. Because there were proprietary elements involved with the scope of the project (namely the part I would be developing) all I asked was he sign an NDA. He refused and pretty much told me that he didn't want to be confined by any agreement if they had already built something similar meh

He then expected me to fly out there on my coin. I told him there would be no flying, no solution or even talk of one, and to continue discussing it was pointless if he didn't sign the NDA.

On a brighter note, we do have pay-as-you-go graders notes :facepalm:

Hi Jos,

Sorry to hear of your loss, one thing I hate most is thieves, me and my mum used to get robbed all the time when I was a kid. Turned out later on it was one of my mums supposed friends.

I remember another time I had a comic room, and we had some builders in after they had finished I found some of my comics had been stolen, Avengers 7-15 were the good ones, some rubbish ones like X-factor 85-100. Nothing compared to your loss, but really hurt at the time. I went to the Police and they would not do anything, they were like "You want to report stolen comics" and laughing about it, that was back in the late 80's.

Hope it somehow turns up, if I ever win the lotto or make a few million I'll buy you one.

Best of luck herc

Thanks for everyone's help.

My copy of Captain America #1 has been returned.

Thanks again.

WOW!