• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Captain America Comics #1 returned

92 posts in this topic

Hi guys,Many of you know me from my purchases and sales here and on ebay. I had a beautiful copy of Captain America #1 stolen for me. I purchased the book from Billy Parker (Straw Man) on the CGC boards in December of 2010.Billy sent the book to me in an old fashioned fortress which was too big to fit in a safe deposit box. Foolishly, I kept the book in my house.The book was targetted somehow.The book was an apparent 6.0. The book was trimmed. The pages were mostly off white, slightly cream to off-white toward the top edge. There was almost no tanning to the inside covers. There was a tear seal up at top left. I only had it out of the fortress once. I only had the book out of the house once. The day that I found out that it wouldn't fit in a safe deposit box with the fortress.I noticed that it was missing just before C2E2. Since then, I have looked thru every box, drawer, hiding place and cubby hole in my house.I cleaned out the attic, my comic book room, my office, the basement and the garage. (which made my wife very happy.) The book was in the fortress, and the fortress was in a black fleece overlap cover. It pretty much stood out no matter which books that I kept it with.My guess is that it was stolen by one of the many repairmen that we have had in our home lately.I know that someday I will own another copy, but this was a great copy and Billy sold it to me at a great price.Thanks very much for taking the time to read this.Here are a few pics in case anyone spots it.Mikeca1.jpg

ca1inside.jpg

ca1bc.jpg

1) Police Report

2) List of everyone, not in your family, that has been in the house or near the book unattended since the last time you saw it.

3) Contact insurance provider to discuss the theft.

4) Get the word out to every local comic shop, pawn shop, flea market, etc. Make up flyers. They are less likely to take in the book, or try to keep the book if they have this notice ahead of time. That's what changes an innocent purchase into receipt of stolen goods.

You can keep looking for the book but you really need to get a report on file, like, NOW.

1) Police Report

2) List of everyone, not in your family, that has been in the house or near the book unattended since the last time you saw it.

3) Contact insurance provider to discuss the theft.

4) Get the word out to every local comic shop, pawn shop, flea market, etc. Make up flyers. They are less likely to take in the book, or try to keep the book if they have this notice ahead of time. That's what changes an innocent purchase into receipt of stolen goods.

You can keep looking for the book but you really need to get a report on file, like, NOW.

This is great advice. Thank you so much.

Absolutely terrible to hear. I am really sorry to hear about this.

Do you know if any of the repair men would have been in an area that was near the book?

Was it out in the open, or would they have had to know, and do some shuffling to

get to it?

Again sorry to hear :(.

Do you know if any of the repair men would have been in an area that was near the book?

Was it out in the open, or would they have had to know, and do some shuffling to

get to it?

Thank you very much.

The book stood out, The fortress was much bigger than a CGC case. I thought that I was keeping it hidden within a black fleece bag, but in retrospect that problably called attention to the book.

Ugh. That's bad. I hope that you can get it sorted out with the police as well as insurance. I guess now I feel a little more justified in hiding my slabs when the contractors come over.

get to it?

Thank you very much.

The book stood out, The fortress was much bigger than a CGC case. I thought that I was keeping it hidden within a black fleece bag, but in retrospect that problably called attention to the book.

I've heard of these fortresses - what are they?

I'd call up Jamie at Graham Crackers and ask if they could keep their eyes open. Someone stupid enough to take a fairly unique book like that might try to sell it to a big dealer here in Illinois to make some quick money.

get to it?

Thank you very much.

Very sorry to hear this.

They must have had time to search for it, wouldn't they? They left the fortress/holder behind?

Peace,

Chip

Thanks Chip

They walked out with the book, fortress and bag. Unfortunately, the bag didn't hide the book as I thought. It probably called attention to it.

If it went missing before C2E2, you might want to contact the vendors from that show and see if anyone bought it at the show.

I would start with the police report and all that fun stuff first.

If it went missing before C2E2, you might want to contact the vendors from that show and see if anyone bought it at the show.

I would start with the police report and all that fun stuff first.

Thank you.

I'd call up Jamie at Graham Crackers and ask if they could keep their eyes open. Someone stupid enough to take a fairly unique book like that might try to sell it to a big dealer here in Illinois to make some quick money.

Or the various auction sites in a couple of months once things 'calmed down'...

Submitted to Clink would it be given to CGC or no?

Were these guys working while you weren't there?

The books weren't in a box or cabinet or something?

It just seems like a blatantly obvious thing to spot while carrying. The guy had to have some balls, especially if anyone else was there.

Peace,

Chip