• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Tales of Suspense #39 (first appearance of iron man)

29 posts in this topic

Recently was shocked by the grade this got. Grader notes said: Spine readers crease, spine wear, right center front cover lite crease, bottom back cover small lite stain, center back cover lite crease...

WHITE PAGES, 7.0

Picture is the best I can do for now, shows camera flash...

How bad does these factors affect a grade? And would pressing it improve the grade? (Don't care about opinion of right and wrong on pressing, just if it would help). Thanks.

125532.jpg.9962ffed7e9f7381ed6541f46ec2f64d.jpg

125533.jpg.c5c7dd292e9b6b69c51830f406e7f5d4.jpg

Well, thats a TOS 39 not #1 :gossip:

Stains and creases get HAMMERED by CGC ime. What you think is a small crease, CGC can and will drop the grade much farther than you might think it should.

As to pressing, it depends if the creases break color. if they do, a press isnt going to help. If they dont break color, a press might take them out.

What was the grade that book got?

if that got a 7.0 with those notes, then don't ever crack, press or resub this book in my opinion.

+1 billion! I can see the spine roll in the first photograph. I don't think you should be disappointed with that grade. I would be jumping up and down!

As Nick said, I'm surprised you got a 7.0 when they noted those creases and stains. You should really not resub it. Something like a spine roll is allowed into the very high grades, so even if you press it out, It might not bump the grade.

ALSO: this book has WHITE pages... does that help the grade? Or is that even considered?

Good PQ doesn't help the grade on a book. Bad PQ though like brittle pages can bring the grade down though is my understanding (thumbs u

Since you can see the roll, why would one not press and resubmit??

You probably won't get a grade bump and may not eeven get the same grade. 7.0 sounds like a pretty damn good grade to me. It really is a beautiful book but I think the grade is where it should be. Its one of those caliber of books that blind you to the reality of its condition and makes you think it should grade out higher. It happens to all of us. Happened to me plenty of times.

I think you should be happy with the grade given and don't crack it. Unless you paid like 8.0-9.0 prices for that book then I'd be a little pissed. lol

Welcome to the boards and welcome back to the hobby!

Thank you for the welcomes... I am quite happy, just curious about the pressing . The pressing thing intrigues me, since the creases have no color break, and it could eliminate 3 of the 5 problems... with the book.. the book was raw and just recently graded, so it would be very rare if the book came back with a lower grade within such a small time of being regraded. I just feel if i get rid of the creases, it could be a 7.5/8

It would be a risk. It could bump the grade, and then again, it could not. Eventually its up to you if you want to get it pressed.

Fellow boarder joeypost does pretty good work at pressing. I've never had any services done by him, but from what I've seen, he does excellent work. Ive heard he'll also pre-screen your book and then ship it off to cgc for you.

CGC loves customer like you...assuming you paid for notes on the 2 books and will resubmit...one grade, 4 fees :banana:

nothing to be frustrate about really, since it is your first submission and if you plan to sub many mores, learning to grade and learning what books can and should be press will save the "frustrations" you are experiencing.