• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Metroplolis/ComicConnect-Here is a New Experience!

46 posts in this topic

On ebay, a well known dealer, who I had bought from in the past, had a book listed for $475.00. I sent him an offer of $300, along with a note that a book in the exact same CGC grade had recently sold for $325 on Comiclink. His counter-offer $474.76.

I now avoid his sales and walk by his booths wherever I see them.

Why offer a Make an offer option if thats going to be your response.

I'm glad Metro has seemingly seen the light.

I know you're playing the victim role here but it seems like you were pretty cocky and arrogant to him (even in your side of the story), and he responded to it.

$325 on comic link plus the buyers commission plus shipping would probably run you about $375. $300 seems to be a low ball offer by comparison. His counter offer was a polite way of telling you to take a hike.

On ebay, a well known dealer, who I had bought from in the past, had a book listed for $475.00. I sent him an offer of $300, along with a note that a book in the exact same CGC grade had recently sold for $325 on Comiclink. His counter-offer $474.76.

I know you're playing the victim role here but it seems like you were pretty cocky and arrogant to him (even in your side of the story), and he responded to it.

$325 on comic link plus the buyers commission plus shipping would probably run you about $375. $300 seems to be a low ball offer by comparison. His counter offer was a polite way of telling you to take a hike.

Agreed... Sometimes if it is a book I really wanted but I missed out on I will offer a percentage over what the last sale was that I am using as my base.

I think CLink just charges about $14 shipping (unless you want it faster) in the U.S. and there isn't any buyers premium, unless you pay by Credit Card (in which case I think it would just by about 3% or about $9), so $325 + $14 = $339, rather than $375. Nonetheless, I agree that to basically tell the seller that he thought that he was overpricing his book based on a $325 sale elsewhere and then to offer even less than $325 might not be viewed favorably by the seller, and as such, by countering the way he did, the seller was probably just telling him to take a hike.

I think CLink just charges about $14 shipping (unless you want it faster) in the U.S. and there isn't any buyers premium, unless you pay by Credit Card (in which case I think it would just by about 3% or about $9), so $325 + $14 = $339, rather than $375. Nonetheless, I agree that to basically tell the seller that he thought that he was overpricing his book based on a $325 sale elsewhere and then to offer even less than $325 might not be viewed favorably by the seller, and as such, by countering the way he did, the seller was probably just telling him to take a hike.

He could have made a more reasonable counter-offer. His response says F-You, I'm not doing business with you. Not cool.

Speaking of Metropolis Comics...just saw they had a GA

PHANTOM STRANGER #3, Raw FN: 6.0 for $390.00...

what do you think the value of a CGC 5.5 would be?

mm

[i agree that to basically tell the seller that he thought that he was overpricing his book based on a $325 sale elsewhere and then to offer even less than $325 might not be viewed favorably by the seller, and as such, by countering the way he did, the seller was probably just telling him to take a hike.

Seems to be the case, if it's the seller (TT) whom I think it is.

Maybe a better approach would have been to note the $325 CLink sale and offer to split the difference ($150) with a more reasonable offer of $400 if it was a book you truly wanted.

By coming in lowball, I'm guessing that the seller figured it was not worth his time, hence the counterjab.

[i agree that to basically tell the seller that he thought that he was overpricing his book based on a $325 sale elsewhere and then to offer even less than $325 might not be viewed favorably by the seller, and as such, by countering the way he did, the seller was probably just telling him to take a hike.

Seems to be the case, if it's the seller (TT) whom I think it is.

Maybe a better approach would have been to note the $325 CLink sale and offer to split the difference ($150) with a more reasonable offer of $400 if it was a book you truly wanted.

By coming in lowball, I'm guessing that the seller figured it was not worth his time, hence the counterjab.

Honestly, I can see both sides of the story. Unfortunately, as an eBay seller, it does bother me when a prospective buyer sends me an offer or message saying they're interested in my product, but that my price is way over what they think is FMV and that they'll buy it at a significant discount.

I mean, sell me your SA keys for 20% below FMV! The seller in ? isn't me but I would have been slightly pissed based on that offer and text. I don't think I would have countered with that 26 cent discount, but nonetheless, I would have known that the individual who send that lowball offer wasn't going to be a customer anyways.

I like ComicConnect alot bought from them yesterday and many times in the past !

My only complaint is they like Fedx and Fedx loves to send a letter in the mail month later asking for $15 / USPS no duty or fees to Canada

:)

No point in haggling with Metro if you can't get the book anywhere else. The have the best selection of anyone hands-down. I bought some stuff of them a while back, got a small discount, and the transaction, service and shipping was top-notch. I have no complaints about them. (thumbs u

A couple months ago I bought an All American 61 from Metropolis that was CGC'd and I got it for less than the last GPA in 2009 through best offer negotiations.

I remember that book.... :cloud9:

I looked at it a hundred times and just couldn't swing it at the time..... :cry:

A couple months ago I bought an All American 61 from Metropolis that was CGC'd and I got it for less than the last GPA in 2009 through best offer negotiations.

I remember that book.... :cloud9:

I looked at it a hundred times and just couldn't swing it at the time..... :cry:

AA 61 is definitely one of the key books in the entire AA run and a great one to have in your collection! :cloud9:

This book used to always trade at a significant premium to guide with demand far outpacing supply. I believe it has probably cooled off a bit during the past few years as the guide price has increased steadily and signifcantly over the years.

Any idea if this particular copy sold for a premium to guide or only close to guide? hm

Theoretically speaking, ComicConnect doesn’t ship using any other way than FedEx, but if I recall correctly, Metropolis, if you previously ask, may ship via USPS, assumed you take the risk is less secure than a courrier.

Anyway, with what I pay from Italy for FedEx (since they apply the customs taxes with a fixed fee higher than average) I would prefer to "risk" using USPS (which is no big risk at all – I had a package which got lost just once in more than 20 years).

Maybe it would be good if they were a little more responsive to inquiry emails (same goes for Worldwide comics, or other sellers, in my experience – a little lack of communication to be optimistic). ;)

not an offensive 1st offer. An offensive seller counter. Buyer is fine. Seller is wrong - I would avoid him/her too.

I've been very happy with my Metro experiences...I have had most of my counteroffers accepted generally offering a price in the 10-15% discount range...And I can attest to Frank being 100% responsive to my emails...sometimes it takes a day or two but he has always gotten back to me...and when a counter wasn't taken Frank always gave me a reason why he couldn't deal on a particular book which I appreciated... (thumbs u

THX AGAIN Frank...looking forward to my next book... :headbang:

I've actually had the audacity twice to make an offer on just part of a lot, because I only needed some of the issues in it. Both times I apparently made a fair enough offer and got the goods. Happiness on both sides.

Is it possible that you irked this person off? I might be slightly miffed if you told me what an exact copy sold for and then wanted me to sell you my copy for nearly 10% off. (shrug).

Sounds like the dealer was insulted by the offer.

You seem ticked that he didn't like your offer of 10% less than that of the last Comiclink sale. And you are offended he basically told you to get lost with his response.

$175 below BIN price?? If I was the Seller, I'd be pi$$ed too.

Just my 2c.

Even if the BIN price is 50% higher than the last recorded sale?

Not enough information to process - what was the PQ, some books have fugly defects (yet still get the grade), was the book considered scarce, what was Guide/GPA?, etc.