• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Metroplolis/ComicConnect-Here is a New Experience!

46 posts in this topic

As many have read over the years, the "make offer" function at Metropolis has been something of a joke. You would make an offer and they would decline it and offer free shipping.

I finally decided to give it another try and made offers at 10-15% below the offered price. I had two accepted outright and they made reasonable counters of the others. Let's face it, the prices are still not "bargain basement" but they are fair enough given their need to make money. Kudos to them for at least making the offer function a real negotiation that makes you feel like you are at least getting some kind of a deal.

Recently I made an offer on a HOS92 on eBay that has a BIN of $200. I offered 165 and was countered with 200 meh I mean this is a big let down and if you set on a certain asking price and won't budge, simply let it be known. Make the option to make offers go away.

On ebay, a well known dealer, who I had bought from in the past, had a book listed for $475.00. I sent him an offer of $300, along with a note that a book in the exact same CGC grade had recently sold for $325 on Comiclink. His counter-offer $474.76.

I now avoid his sales and walk by his booths wherever I see them.

Why offer a Make an offer option if thats going to be your response.

I'm glad Metro has seemingly seen the light.

Recently I made an offer on a HOS92 on eBay that has a BIN of $200. I offered 165 and was countered with 200 meh I mean this is a big let down and if you set on a certain asking price and won't budge, simply let it be known. Make the option to make offers go away.

I know I struggle with this in my eBay store. Often I have Best Offer on and may or mak not set a minumim when I list the item. If I start getting all kinds of stupidity with the Best Offer feature, I will go edit the item and set the minimum or turn it off altogether.

The problem is that when the item is relisted after expiration, it reverts back to the original listing - the best offer changes are lost.

So the business starts all over again, and I get messages like "why don't you just turn the best offer off" and I say back "I DID!" :-)

I've always been happy with Metro. I've never tried their offer function, however. I've never had a lot of problems with their pricing.....it's not bargain basement, but I see it as a small price to pay for the most extensive selection outside of eBay.....and in many cases, better than eBay. GOD BLESS...

-jimbo(a friend of jesus) (thumbs u

On ebay, a well known dealer, who I had bought from in the past, had a book listed for $475.00. I sent him an offer of $300, along with a note that a book in the exact same CGC grade had recently sold for $325 on Comiclink. His counter-offer $474.76.

Who is the dealer? I'd like to stay away too.

What were the books? I can look it up for you and let you know what the reasoning was. Believe me, I've got plenty of books here that I would discount, but no one seems to ask about those. Which is why I want to discount them, because no one ever asks about them. It's like a vicious circle.

As for responding to discounts and queries, I respond to these things as quickly as I can. Yeah, a lot of times, we can't discount the books people ask about, but I try always to give the reason why (we just got it, it's a key issue, it's a consignment and the seller doesn't want to discount right now, it could be any one of a million reasons), and when I can knock money off, I do. And it changes all the time -- there are books or genres that a few months ago I would have discounted and now I won't discount them at all, and vice versa. Keep trying, and when all else fails, email me directly. These queries do get read by human eyes, really!

BTW, if anyone is interested in group lots of off-grade Claw the Unconquered #1s, those I will discount. Like, a lot.

Is it possible that you irked this person off? I might be slightly miffed if you told me what an exact copy sold for and then wanted me to sell you my copy for nearly 10% off. (shrug).

What were the books? I can look it up for you and let you know what the reasoning was. Believe me, I've got plenty of books here that I would discount, but no one seems to ask about those. Which is why I want to discount them, because no one ever asks about them. It's like a vicious circle.

Why not just mark them down. You've got a lot of books I might just buy if they were marked down a bit. :baiting: Sadly, probably none of the ones I'm looking at are same ones you're talking about. :cry:

I've said this many times on here, but here goes again; If you want to make an offer for a book on the Metro site, email that offer direct to Frank, it circumvents the MAO function and I guess that direct emails get checked with greater frequency. Never failed for me.

The EBAY BIN is a bit off topic, but relevant I suppose. On my auctions I always use make an offer with higher price books. Primarily it's a function of time. Hotter books tend to sell pretty quickly. Other stuff sits. If something is sitting for a while I am prone to accept offers that are lower than what I would like. ''I tend to look at GPA and price my books as close to exactly as the current market. If somebody offers within 10% of the BIN, I would almost always take it.

If I find a book that gives you the option, I always try to but it cheaper. You'd be surprised how many times I am able to buy books at half price. 20-30% cheaper is not at all uncommon. Occassionally somebody comes back discounting the book 25 cents. You do wonder what those sellers are thinking....

I've said this many times on here, but here goes again; If you want to make an offer for a book on the Metro site, email that offer direct to Frank, it circumvents the MAO function and I guess that direct emails get checked with greater frequency. Never failed for me.

(thumbs u

Anytime I make an offer I do it via email directly to Frank, sometimes Vincent. I've had little success to date. Always get the free shipping option though so that's something at least.

I was just at Metro today and bought a couple of books. Frank was great to talk to and he showed me all the books I was interested in. Very nice guy.

I've never used the make an offer feature because I visit their office every once in a while. I typicaly try to get a discount and sometimes it works and others it doesn't. It depends how much you are buying, what books they are, etc.

I'm a Metro customer and have had mostly positive experiences with them.

Thanks again for the help today Frank!