• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

help me grade my batman 192

14 posts in this topic

VG- 3.5 There is a little more edge wear, spine creasing and soiling, than I like to see in a solid VG 4.0 book. 893scratchchin-thumb.gif

I was debating between 3.5 and 4.0. It's a fairly large scan and I think the defects are magnified.

Man, you guys are vicious. I think the large scans are really magnifying the defects. For example, even that ugly looking tear on the right edge probably isn't bigger than 3/16".

It's apparently tight, flat (except for the very minor spine roll), and complete, with good color, minimal surface wear, and no creasing. There's the edge wear, and the tear on the spine that may go through the book, but this could be a VG/F easy.

A dry erase pad and a little elbow grease will take off most of the surface dirt.

Man, you guys are vicious. I think the large scans are really magnifying the defects. For example, even that ugly looking tear on the right edge probably isn't bigger than 3/16".

It's apparently tight, flat (except for the very minor spine roll), and complete, with good color, minimal surface wear, and no creasing. There's the edge wear, and the tear on the spine that may go through the book, but this could be a VG/F easy.

A dry erase pad and a little elbow grease will take off most of the surface dirt.

Zana,

With all due respect this book will never reach a 4.5. Also cleaning is not recommended for several reasons 893naughty-thumb.gif: 1) It is obvious, even when done quite well - particulary on a book with this level of soiling, 2) It will render the book a restored grade, and 3) the risk of damage by cleaning to an older book is very high - you may turn that "3/16" tear into a 3" tear.

If you don't believe me, try it out on an old book that you don't care about (if there is such a thing!)

sumo.gif

Zana,

With all due respect this book will never reach a 4.5. Also cleaning is not recommended for several reasons 893naughty-thumb.gif: 1) It is obvious, even when done quite well - particulary on a book with this level of soiling, 2) It will render the book a restored grade, and 3) the risk of damage by cleaning to an older book is very high - you may turn that "3/16" tear into a 3" tear.

If you don't believe me, try it out on an old book that you don't care about (if there is such a thing!)

sumo.gif

I've cleaned plenty of my own books, all of which I care about. Some have turned out beautifully, on some it didn't seem to make a difference. Depends on what kind of soiling you're dealing with. I've never made a book look worse.

Dry erase pads just take care of mild soiling. Surface dirt. They won't take off ink transfer, pen marks/magic marker, or moisture stains. They work medium well on pencil marks and some kinds of embedded stains. Still, you'd be amazed how much of a difference it makes. Not only do the whites look less dirty, but sometimes the book's true gloss and color are still hiding under a thin layer of dirt.

Proper use is not at all obvious, and not even CGC considers it restoration. This is the same technique spoken of around here as "wonderbreading", except I use the actual archival tool rather than bread.

I love the back cover! Anyone else have a Creepy Crawlers Thingmaker when they were a kid? The best were the little Troll heads that you could put on the end of your pencil cloud9.gif

Oh, and VG- 3.5