• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Investment Grade Books

26 posts in this topic

Having a time machine to take back to the days before CGC existed would be a big help for your investing.

I'd recommend investing in traditional investments: stocks, bonds, commodities, real estate, mutual funds, etc. and save comic buying and selling for a hobby.

Thanks, Andy! I appreciate your advice. I currently do not have any CGC books in my collection. However, I just submitted my first books. I've been trying to get a handle on grading and I am still on the fence about buying raw Vs. CGC.

-Paul

Good luck with the submission. Most people find it to be a rude awakening. I was actually super happy with my first sub, just because I was a brutal grader at the time and went into it expecting the worst. One of the few times it was nice to be a pessimist. :boo:

I really hope you all are not tired of this question. I am new here. I want to buy some investment grade books and I am looking for any serious advice. After reading through many of the posts here, I don't know if GA will be in my grasp; certainly SA.

Any suggestions (especially from you wise veterans) about which books, raw or slabbed, which grades and where to buy would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks!

Paul

Want to be good at picking the "right" comics? Want to make money through this hobby? Want to buy things that appreciate in value on a consistent basis? Start by reading comics and looking at the art. Learn to enjoy it, even love it. Then learn to grade. Then buy a few older issues. Then buy one for $5 and try and sell it for $10. Then see how your grades match up to CGC's by subbing a few you bought raw. Rinse and repeat. There are no shortcuts. NONE. You have to earn your experience from the ground up like everyone else. If you don't, you will just be the dumb money who buys overpriced keys from the wrong sellers, then dumps them via auction, takes a 10% vig hit and a 20% value haircut off the inflated prices they paid because they didn't know any better and leaves the hobby disgusted and with a lighter wallet. Happens all the time, sometimes even to experienced crossover collectors from other hobbies.

The best "investment" you can make in comics? Time. Time to learn why comics are awesome. Time to learn how to grade. Time to make your own mistakes and your own scores. Time to realize that you aren't going to make money by listening to someone else's opinions of what's a "good" book to buy.

It's not the sexy answer, but it's the only true one.

+1 and always buy what you like... If it happens to make you money sometime in the future that's a bonus. If it doesn't, you have an awesome collection that will make you happy every time you see it.

I really hope you all are not tired of this question. I am new here. I want to buy some investment grade books and I am looking for any serious advice. After reading through many of the posts here, I don't know if GA will be in my grasp; certainly SA.

Any suggestions (especially from you wise veterans) about which books, raw or slabbed, which grades and where to buy would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks!

Paul

Want to be good at picking the "right" comics? Want to make money through this hobby? Want to buy things that appreciate in value on a consistent basis? Start by reading comics and looking at the art. Learn to enjoy it, even love it. Then learn to grade. Then buy a few older issues. Then buy one for $5 and try and sell it for $10. Then see how your grades match up to CGC's by subbing a few you bought raw. Rinse and repeat. There are no shortcuts. NONE. You have to earn your experience from the ground up like everyone else. If you don't, you will just be the dumb money who buys overpriced keys from the wrong sellers, then dumps them via auction, takes a 10% vig hit and a 20% value haircut off the inflated prices they paid because they didn't know any better and leaves the hobby disgusted and with a lighter wallet. Happens all the time, sometimes even to experienced crossover collectors from other hobbies.

The best "investment" you can make in comics? Time. Time to learn why comics are awesome. Time to learn how to grade. Time to make your own mistakes and your own scores. Time to realize that you aren't going to make money by listening to someone else's opinions of what's a "good" book to buy.

Very nice.

Thanks, Andy! I appreciate your advice. I currently do not have any CGC books in my collection. However, I just submitted my first books. I've been trying to get a handle on grading and I am still on the fence about buying raw Vs. CGC.

-Paul

Good luck with the submission. Most people find it to be a rude awakening. I was actually super happy with my first sub, just because I was a brutal grader at the time and went into it expecting the worst. One of the few times it was nice to be a pessimist. :boo:

I just did my first sub and it took me a couple of years. I was pleased with mine also.

Thanks!

Paul

YES! this should be permanently at the top of CG so we don't have to say the same thing every time someone wants to be a millionaire from comics.Kudos to you October. (worship)